[Nfbwv-talk] Ed on the Radio for Us

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Tue Sep 11 11:26:09 UTC 2018

Thanks for listening and for the kind words.

I got acquainted with Hoppy Kercheval more than 25 years ago when I was doing a bluegrass show at WAJR in Morgantown.  We still communicate now and then, and I thought he might give me a spot on the show.  I pitched the technology angle, since I thought it would have the most appeal to a general audience.  The interview felt a little rushed alongside all of the other breaking stories that he covered yesterday, but I hope it got us a bit of recognition.

FYI, here is the news release that I have put out to several media outlets in the Morgantown area, in the hope that some reporters might come to the technology fair in search of a story.

TECHNOLOGY ON DISPLAY AT CONVENTION OF BLIND WEST VIRGINIANS

CONTACT: Ed McDonald, NFBWV Media Relations
151 S. Mineral Street
Keyser, WV 26726
(304) 790-2321-Cell

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

A technology fair for people who are blind or have low vision will kick off the 2018 convention of the National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia (NFBWV).  "Living the Lives We Want with Tomorrow's Technology" takes place Thursday and Friday, September 13 and 14, at the Holiday Inn Express, 1188 Pineview Drive, Morgantown.

The event is presented in collaboration with the West Virginia Assistive Technology System (WVATS), a project of the West Virginia University Center for Excellence in Disability.  It has attracted many of the leading companies and distributors in the field of blindness-related assistive technology to showcase and demonstrate their products and services.  Open to the public, the technology fair is especially designed as a learning opportunity for blind and visually impaired individuals; families of persons with vision loss; and teachers, counselors, and other professionals who work with blind children and adults.

Technology on display will include electronic magnifiers for people with low vision; "paperless Braille displays" which offer fingertip access to computers and smart phones; wearable "smart glasses" that use artificial intelligence and real-time connections with sighted agents to provide a range of visual information; and a smart phone app that snaps a picture of printed text and reads it back with a synthesized voice.

"Technology of all sorts is helping blind people to compete more effectively in both the classroom and the workplace," NFBWV president Charlene smyth said.  "This technology fair is a great opportunity for us here in West Virginia to get a first-hand look at some of the latest developments in the field.  Even if you don't happen to be blind, you'll be fascinated to learn what technology is doing for blind people these days," Smyth added.  "We thank WVATS for working with us to make it possible."

Hours for the technology fair on Thursday, September 13, are 3:00 to 8:00 PM; Friday hours are 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM.

For more information, contact NFBWV president, Charlene Smyth, at 304-841-1111.

This year's NFBWV convention continues through Sunday, September 16, at the Holiday Inn.  General sessions are set for Friday afternoon, Saturday morning, and Sunday morning.  A reception and fund-raiser auction will take place Friday evening, with a banquet scheduled for Saturday evening.  The business agenda includes presentations on the current state of public education for West Virginia's blind children, rehabilitation services for blind adults, information and library services, employment opportunities, organizational accomplishments, and other vital matters which touch the lives of blind West Virginians.  The banquet keynote speaker will be Norma Crosby, president of the National Federation of the Blind of Texas, and a member of the Federation's national board of directors.

ABOUT NFBWV: The National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia is a state affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind, the nation's oldest and largest membership organization of blind persons.  It consists of five local chapters around the state and is led by blind individuals elected by the membership.

According to the Federation's national president, Mark Riccobono of Baltimore, MD, "The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back."

For more information, visit

www.nfb.org

ABOUT WVATS: The West Virginia Assistive Technology System (WVATS) is the designated lead agency that works to enhance the lives of all West Virginia residents with disabilities, including older West Virginians and the families of people with disabilities.

By providing access to and help with the acquisition of assistive technology (AT) devices and services, WVATS can offer West Virginians with disabilities an opportunity for choice, control and independence at home, work, school, play, and in their neighborhoods.

WVATS strives to bring assistive technology into the lives of all state residents with AT needs, through its programs and services.  Assistive Technology (AT) is any device used to perform tasks that would otherwise be difficult or impossible.  These devices can be as complex as computers with screen reading software or as simple as Velcro used in place of buttons or shoe laces.

For more information, including a complete list of technology fair participating vendors, call 800-841-8436.

-30-