[Nfbwv-talk] Fwd: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] NFBNJ Sounding Board Spring 2019 Issue Pasted

Sheri Koch skochnfbwv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 14:11:16 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: joe ruffalo via State-Affiliate-Leadership-List <
state-affiliate-leadership-list at nfbnet.org>
Date: Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 10:09 AM
Subject: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] NFBNJ Sounding Board Spring 2019
Issue Pasted
To: presidents list <state-affiliate-leadership-list at nfbnet.org>
CC: joe ruffalo <nfbnj1 at verizon.net>

Greetings to all!
I am proud to present the spring, 2019 issue of the Sounding Board, the
publication of the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey.
I want to thank the editors, those that submitted articles and to all for
your well wishes to raise expectations to live the life we want to
transform
dreams into reality!
Please read and share this issue with family, friends, neighbors and
co-workers.
The issue will be posted on newsline and on the state website shortly.
Again, thanks to all who had a part in the issue, great teamwork!
Warmly
Joe

Joe Ruffalo, President
973 743 0075
nfbnj1 at verizon.net
www.nfbnj.org

www.carshelpingtheblind.org
or call 855 659 9314

**

SPRING 2019

The Sounding Board

The Publication of the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

In This Issue

Annemarie Cooke

& Ryan Stevens

Share news and reflections of the Washington Seminar

Joe Ruffalo

Introduces the new NFBNJ Board

Maurice Peret

Describes the NFB Career Mentoring Program

Rose Santiago

Is hosting a book signing April 12 in Lyndhurst

NJ Students Natasha Ishaq, Sami Ishaq & Ethan Morrobel

Reflect on the 2018 NFB EQ Program

Live the Life You Want

THE SOUNDING BOARD

Spring 2019

Katherine Gabry, Editor

Annemarie Cooke, Mary Jo Partyka & Barbara Shalit, Co-editors

Mark Gasaway, Guest Editor

Barbara Shalit, Advertising Manager

Published by e-mail and on the Web through Newsline by

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

www.nfbnj.org

Joseph Ruffalo, President

State Affiliate Office   254 Spruce Street   Bloomfield, NJ 07003

Email: nfbnj1 at verizon.net

All articles should be submitted to the State Affiliate Office at
nfbnj1 at verizon.net and  specialk38 at aol.com. Advertising rates are $25 for a
half page and $40 for a full page. Ads should be sent to
barbart at tullensound.com. The editorial staff reserves the right to edit all
articles and advertising for space and/or clarity considerations.

Please Note: The deadline for the Fall issue is September 15, 2019.

Donations should be made payable to the

and sent to the State affiliate office.

To subscribe via Newsline: Jane Degenshein 973-736-5785 or
Jdegen16 at comcast.net

DREAM MAKERS CIRCLEHelp build a future full of opportunity for the blind by
becoming a member of the Dream Makers Circle. Your legacy gift to the
National Federation of the Blind can be made in the form of a will or a
living trust, an income-generating gift, or by naming the NFB as a
beneficiary of a retirement plan or life insurance policy. You can also
become a member of the Dream Makers Circle by making a legacy gift to your
state affiliate. By committing to support an NFB affiliate, your gift will
benefit both local and national programs, since all bequests made to
affiliates are split evenly with the NFB national treasury. In addition to
having the satisfaction of contributing to the future success of the NFB's
mission, Dream Makers Circle members also receive a specially designed
thank
you gift and other benefits. For additional information, please contact
Patti Chang at the NFB Jernigan Institute by email at pchang at nfb.org, or by
telephone at 410-659-9314, extension 2221.

Mission StatementThe National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey, Inc.
is
an organization of blind and interested sighted people who plan and carry
out programs; work to improve the quality of life of the blind; provide a
means of collective action for parents of blind children; promote the
vocational, cultural and social advancement of the blind; achieve the
integration of the blind into society on a basis of equality with the
sighted; and take action that will improve the overall condition and
standard of living of the blind.

expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

The National Federation of the Blind Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity and security for the blind;
support the programs and policies of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

The Sounding Board

The Sounding Board is the magazine of the National Federation of the Blind
of New Jersey. It is published twice a year. Our hope is that through The
Sounding Board, we aspire to provide a source of hope, inspiration, pride
and camaraderie through the personal stories in our publication.

Hundreds of readers receive our publication via email and Newsline. The
Sounding Board is also available for download in its entirety from our
website at www.nfbnj.org. We encourage our readers to share The Sounding
Board with family members, teachers, professionals, neighbors, friends and
any other interested parties. We estimate our circulation to be in the
thousands, as readers from across the country regularly report that The
Sounding Board influences their lives.

Twenty-six people contributed to this issue by sharing stories, editing,
interviewing and proofreading. It is truly a collaborative effort. We hope
you enjoy the fruits of our labor.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Comedy & Musical Entertainment Night Fundraiser

Presidential Message, by Joe Ruffalo

>From the Editor’s Desk: Why am I an NFB member for all these years?? by
Katherine Gabry

Washington Seminar: The Big Picture, by Annemarie Cooke

The 2019 Washington Seminar Issues: Updates and New Pursuits, by Ryan
Stevens

Reflections from First-Timers at the Washington Seminar, compiled by
Annemarie Cooke

Pursuing Equal Rights for Blind Parents, by Ryan Stevens

The Agnes Allen Distinguished Service Award, by Carol Castellano

Raising Expectations Award: Congratulations Brian Mackey!

Introducing the New Members of the NFBNJ Board, by Katherine Gabry

Building on NJ’s Trailblazing Legacy for the Blind & Visually Impaired, by
Dr. Bernice Davis

Why get involved? by Rose Santiago

NFB Career Mentoring Program: Looking for Mentors & Mentees, by Maurice
Peret

Rose Santiago to Host Book Signing for Live Your True Essence April 12

>From Seed to Harvest, by Gerald Moreno

BELLS Ready to Ring for a Sixth Summer

NFBNJ Scholarship Winners Announced at 2018 State Convention

Reflections from the 2018 NFB Engineering Quotient Program, by Natasha
Ishaq, Sami Ishaq & Ethan Morrobel

SSPNJ and iCanConnect/NJ (advertisement)

Sports & Recreation Line Up, by Linda Melendez

Live Your True Essence (advertisement)

NFBNJ Contact Info

NATIONAL FEDERATION of the BLIND of NEW JERSEY

and

BLOOMFIELD UNICO

announce

COMEDY and MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT NIGHT

Saturday, April 13, 2019

7:00 to 11:00 p.m.

Belleville Knights of Columbus

94 Bridge Street, Belleville, NJ

Buffet Dinner, Desserts, Soda, Cash Bar

Entertainment, Auction & Raffle

Enjoy our local talent

The comedy of Robert Ruffalo of Cedar Grove

& musical entertainment from

Richard Fox of Bloomfield on keyboard

Jane Ruffalo Degenshein of West Orange on flute

Joe Baccan of Mahwah, vocalist

Proceeds will benefit each organization’s Joe and Rose Ruffalo Scholarship
Fund, supporting deserving blind and sighted students.  Joe and Rose were
loyal supporters of Bloomfield UNICO and NFBNJ. Pay via PayPal or credit
card at www.nfbnj.org/Comedy-Musical-Night/registration or make your check
payable to NFBNJ and mail to NFBNJ, 254 Spruce Street, Bloomfield, NJ
07003.
Please write NFBNJ/UNICO in the memo.   You also can reserve a table of
eight. If you are unable to attend, please consider making a donation. For
additional information, call NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo at 973-743-0075.

next story
PRESIDENTIAL MESSAGE

Dear Fellow Federationists,

The songs of birds, the planting of flowers and the fresh air of spring
bring renewed and continued growth to us as individuals and to the National
Federation of the Blind of New Jersey as an organization. Since the last
issue of The Sounding Board, the organization has continued to provide the
philosophy and expectations to live the lives we want. The New Jersey State
Convention continues to nourish the seeds of our rising expectations, while
the chapter and division meetings provide growth in each member, the
activities and outreach programs provide the gift of the Federation to
others, and the scholarships awarded provide financial support to the next
generation of leaders. Congratulations to our newly elected affiliate board
members and huge thanks to those who have served on the affiliate board. A
well-deserved shout out goes to Ellen Sullivan and to all who have
contributed their time and resources to make our fundraising efforts
successful. Whether you helped out on a grant application, or on the
opportunities at Boscov’s Department Stores, Barnes & Noble or at a grocery
store, please know that your efforts are appreciated, and that they
ultimately support the programs and projects of the NFB and the NFBNJ.

The affiliate’s 10th Annual After the Holidays party was held in January
with music, dancing, great fellowship and terrific food.  On April 13,
together with the Bloomfield UNICO, we will host a comedy and musical
entertainment fun- and fund-raiser at the Knights of Columbus in Belleville
to benefit the Joe and Rose Ruffalo Memorial Scholarship Fund.  All the
details can be found on the state website at www.nfbnj.org.

On a special note, I want to personally thank all who conspired behind my
back to honor me at the State Convention for my 25 years as your state
president. I was touched by your presentation of the joke book in large
print, Braille and also on a thumb drive.  The proceeds – which have
exceeded $2,300 – are earmarked for the Joe and Rose Memorial Scholarship
Fund. To purchase a copy, please contact Linda Melendez at 732-421-7063 or
by email at lindamelendez220 at gmail.com.

I was once again reminded that life is a never-ending learning process, as
Judy and I represented the NFB at the Tennessee State Convention in March.
While on the plane, I reflected that this convention would be my 94th
national, inter-state convention or state convention sharing – and
learning – how I continue to live the life I want.

I hope you enjoy this issue of our publication. Thanks to all who have
shared their stories – you inspire our faith and appreciation in each
other.
Please share the magazine with others you know so that they, too, will see
that although we may have lost, or are losing, our eyesight, we will never
lose our vision.

Sincerely,

Joe Ruffalo, President

next story

FROM THE EDITOR’S DESK:

WHY AM I AN NFB MEMBER FOR ALL THESE YEARS??By Katherine Gabry

Recently, people have been asking me why I’ve been involved with the
National Federation of the Blind for so long. It has been a long time – 27
years this spring. Nonetheless, these queries have given me cause to
reflect
on what it is about the NFB that I find meaningful.

As editor of this publication for more than 15 years, almost every time I
ask members why they’re involved with the NFB, the reply is the same: The
camaraderie, finding others in the same situation. The connections are
euphoric, life changing, a revelation.

I’ve not yet met anyone in the NFB who travels in shoes similar to mine. My
life is in the DeafBlind community, not an area of expertise for the NFB.
And long-ago hopes that my son would find people like himself through the
NFB haven’t panned out. Even at national conventions, the number of
profoundly deaf, ASL-using, braille-reading attendees is in the low single
digits.

So, what’s the attraction for me? In 1992, my son was transitioning from
early intervention to the school system. At that time, I was introduced to
Carol Castellano, mom of a young daughter born fully blind. I had never
heard of the NFB, so Carol introduced me and willingly shared her NFB
knowledge, contacts and information. While our children were very
different,
Carol and I were kindred spirits, believing that all children deserve the
opportunity for an education, that our expectations for them should be
high,
that thinking “outside of the box” works, and that we had every right to be
respected members of the IEP team. Carol was an understanding friend and
educated advisor as my son and I navigated many difficult educational
situations.

Reflecting now, the Federation gave credence to my requests for necessary
educational accommodations that created a level playing field for my son.
Everything I was asking for was completely within his legal rights. That
confidence booster was invaluable and life changing. By high school, he was
able to advocate for himself, requesting accommodations and understanding
how the law protected him. As he graduates from college this spring, I
believe that in these ways, the NFB has shaped his self-image and
understanding of his place as a deserving and productive member of a larger
community.

Thus, in my view, the great service the Federation performs has been to
alert its members and Congress to legal inequities in providing services
for
the blind and visually impaired, and to rectify those inequities. Through
the annual Washington Seminar, hundreds of NFB members share their personal
stories, insights and concerns with their representatives in Congress, an
essential stepping stone in getting laws passed or changed. If your child
has the chance to read in his preferred medium, if you’ve been a college
student who used accessible textbooks, if you’ve been able to vote with an
accessible voting machine, then the NFB has made a mark on your life. The
NFB continues to work toward basic, equal civil rights for those who are
blind and visually impaired. Legislative action based on equal opportunity
regardless of the ability to see changes life for the better for thousands
of blind Americans. That’s why I have maintained my long, and much
appreciated, affiliation with the NFB.

next story

WASHINGTON SEMINAR: THE BIG PICTURE

By Annemarie Cooke

Editor’s Note: Annemarie is an active long-time member of the NJ Affiliate,
having recently been elected to the state board, and serving as vice
president of the Sports and Recreation Division, board member of the Garden
State Chapter and the Technology Division, and a member of the At-Large
Chapter and the Scholarship and Sounding Board committees. She also enjoys
her role as a mentor and cooking coach with students in the EDGE program.
Her hobbies include international and domestic travel.

Ever wonder why an accessible voting machine must, by law, be at every
polling place? Or how the National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped made it to fast-track distribution of digital
content
and playback machines after decades of vinyl discs and audiotape?

Those are just two major results of the National Federation of the Blind’s
lobbying efforts, particularly through the Washington Seminar, an annual
event since the 1970s, according to John Pare, the NFB’s executive director
for advocacy and policy.

This past January, some 600 Federationists – 16 of them from New Jersey –
came together in Washington, DC to visit their Congressional
representatives
in both Houses and advocate for three issues: the Access Technology
Affordability Act, GAIN and DEA. The specifics on these issues are in the
next article, The 2019 Washington Seminar Issues: Updates and New Pursuits,
by Ryan Stevens, NFBNJ Legislative Director.

The NFB’s advocacy efforts take place all year round on the national, state
and local levels. But, says Pare, there is a unique power created when
teams
of blind people, with white canes or service dogs, and dressed in business
attire, fan out over Capitol Hill to visit their own elected officials. And
it’s the personal story shared by the visiting Federationists that makes
the
occasion memorable and eventually, in many cases, effective.

There is a strategy in the scheduling of the Washington Seminar during the
last week of January. According to Pare, by this time, freshmen legislators
have been sworn in and are getting settled in their offices, and the House
and the year’s first Senate sessions have just gotten underway, so there is
a window of opportunity for NFB’s personal advocacy.

At this year’s Great Gathering-In, the kickoff on Monday afternoon of
Washington Seminar week, there was special drama and excitement. President
Mark Riccobono took the microphone to announce that the Marrakesh Treaty
was
in the final stages leading to approval. The treaty, in negotiation for
more
than a decade, is the product of a global agreement that facilitates
distribution and use of books in alternative formats by blind people and
others with print-related disabilities all over the world.  The NFB has
been
instrumental in bringing this treaty to fruition.

Ryan Stevens, who has been attending the Washington Seminar for decades,
recalls another major success of the NFB’s efforts: Braille became the
default format for blind and visually impaired school children who
expressed
a desire to learn it. The student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP)
must
provide for instruction in Braille unless two adults on the IEP team (such
as a school psychologist and parent) decide that such instruction is not
appropriate, Stevens said.

And of course, there were efforts by the NFB and its members to get the
Help
America Vote Act on the books more than a decade ago so that blind voters
could have an accessible machine in which to cast ballots. In addition, the
NFB also lobbied hard for funding for the NLS to launch its digital
conversion in relatively short time.

The 2019 Washington Seminar marked the 25th for Stevens, who attended his
first in 1995 as president of the Keystone Chapter in Pennsylvania. “I fell
in love with the process, and I’ve been coming ever since,” he says. “Being
able to present myself in a calm, professional manner to a member of
Congress or a legislative aide, and knowing there is real importance in
what
I was saying, is really powerful.”

next story

THE 2019 WASHINGTON SEMINAR ISSUES: Updates and New Pursuits

By Ryan Stevens, NFBNJ Legislative Director

Greetings, fellow New Jersey Federationists! From January 28 – 31, the NFB
held another successful Washington Seminar in our nation’s capital. Over
600
members from around the country, including 16 from our own affiliate, went
to Capitol Hill to talk about the most pressing legislation concerning the
blind with our Congressional representatives. This time, we addressed three
issues: One is carried over from last year, and the other two are revamped
ideas on concerns we have had for some time. While we were in DC, we
received two pieces of good news which I will detail after the rundown of
what we discussed with our legislators.

The legislative issue from 2018 which we again brought to the attention of
Congress this year is the Access Technology Affordability Act. Access
technology enables blind people to participate in today’s connected world
and to perform tasks that they were once unable to accomplish themselves.
Today, the blind most often acquire this technology through their state
blindness agency or through their employer as a reasonable accommodation.
The problem with going through the state agency is the length of time it
takes to receive the equipment. The drawback of receiving it from an
employer is that such requests can make the company wary of hiring blind
people because of the expense. Unfortunately, the cost of access technology
also prevents most blind people from purchasing it themselves. The Access
Technology Affordability Act helps to alleviate this burden by providing a
tax credit to the blind person when he or she purchases equipment. We have
changed the elements of the bill we are asking to have introduced. This new
version would set the tax credit at $2,000, which is usable over a 3-year
period. We have also agreed to allow the legislation to expire after five
years. As of March 15, Bill S815 has been introduced in the Senate.

The second issue we brought to the attention of Congress is the Greater
Access and Independence through Nonvisual Technology (GAIN) Act. The rapid
proliferation of advanced technology is undeniable. Most new stoves,
glucose
monitors and treadmills now require that consumers interact with digital
displays, flat panels, and other user interfaces which are inaccessible to
blind individuals. Inaccessibility is not a mere inconvenience; it can
threaten the safety, health and independence of blind Americans.
Advancements in technology have the potential to transform how people live
in a society, but are designed for those with no functional limitations.
Nonvisual access is achievable, as demonstrated by a number of mainstream
products, such as Apple's iPhone and iPad with VoiceOver. Virtually all
ATMs
and voting machines are also accessible, using simple fixes. Although the
Americans with Disabilities Act and other laws require physical
accessibility for people with disabilities (for example, wheelchair ramps
and Braille signage in public buildings), no laws protect blind consumers’
right to access technology. The GAIN Act would call on the Access Board, an
independent federal agency and leading source of information on accessible
design, to conduct a nonvisual access standard review, and issue a report
with findings and recommendations for a minimum nonvisual access standard
for home-use medical devices, home appliances and fitness equipment. The
Federal Drug Administration and the Federal Trade Commission would then be
tasked with enforcing the rules established by the Access Board. There is
no
bill in either the House or Senate at this time.

Our third topic was the Disabled Employment (DEA) Act. The
Javits-Wagner-O’Day
Act (JWOD), originally enacted in 1938 and expanded in 1971, is a
well-intentioned but obsolete law intended to provide employment for people
with disabilities through specialized government contracts. However, the
work experience provided by the recipients of these contracts, such as the
AbilityOne Program, does not utilize or teach the skills required for
today’s
fast-paced digital work environment. Many workers with disabilities
employed
under AbilityOne are assigned menial, repetitive tasks, which do nothing to
equip them with the skills needed to succeed and advance in a 21st century
workplace. As a result, many of these individuals find themselves trapped
in
these jobs for years, if not decades, with no real hope of advancement or
finding new employment opportunities elsewhere. These workers are also
segregated and paid subminimum wages. The DEA will allow for-profit as well
as nonprofit entities to bid on contracts through a newly created
commission, will ensure that workers earn at least the prevailing wage,
will
equip employers with the necessary tools and supports to integrate workers
with disabilities, and will establish an Employment Integration Trust Fund
to assist employers in meeting reasonable accommodation requirements under
Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act. While this legislative goal
is still in its infancy, there is some good news on the workers with
disabilities front.

At the Great Gathering-In Meeting held the evening prior to going to
Capitol
Hill, President Riccobono announced the introduction of the Transformation
to Competitive Employment Act. It follows the model set by the
Transitioning
to Integrated and Meaningful Employment (TIME) Act of the past two
Congressional terms. Over a 6-year period, it would phase out the special
wage certificates that allow disabled workers to be paid subminimum wages.
The bill numbers are HR873 in the House and S260 in the Senate. We have
been
encouraging all of you to contact Senators Corey Booker and Robert
Menendez,
as well as your individual member of Congress to ask them to support these
bills. The way to do that is explained at the end of this article.

The best news of all that came out of the 2019 Washington Seminar is the
ratification of the Marrakesh Treaty and signing of its implementation
legislation by President Trump. The treaty was also transmitted to the
World
Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in Geneva, Switzerland on
February
8. Once WIPO’s 90-day review period is complete, blind and print disabled
people throughout the world can get textbooks and other printed materials
in
accessible formats directly from other countries, including works in other
languages. It took almost six years of hard work and advocacy by us, the
National Federation of the Blind to have this come to fruition, but indeed
it has!

For more details and the full fact sheets for each of the issues we are
pursuing, go to https://nfb.org/washington-seminar

As I have said in the past, while going to DC and addressing these
important
issues directly with our elected officials is vital, it is only the
beginning of our legislative agenda. Also, there will be other concerns
that
will arise during the year. We cannot ignore any of these until next
January. All of us need to make an effort to help all blind Americans live
the lives we want, and I appreciate the work you have done.

To contact your member in the House of Representatives or the US Senators
from New Jersey, call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121. To find your
House member, contact your local public library or go to www.house.gov and
enter your zip code.

next story

REFLECTIONS FROM FIRST-TIMERS AT THE WASHINGTON SEMINAR

Compiled by Annemarie Cooke

Editor’s Note: For Northern Chapter members Joanna Mallard of Jersey City
and Connor Mullin, a graduate student at Louisiana Tech, attending the
Washington Seminar was a first-time experience. Here are snapshots of their
DC visit:

Joanna Mallard

I felt anxious! I felt nervous! I felt excited! Actually, I Never Felt
Better!!!! During the Great Gathering-In on Monday afternoon, in a ballroom
filled with several hundred fellow Federationists, my anxiety and
nervousness began to fade, and a feeling of empowerment began to seal the
cracks within my foundation. I was proud to know that I am one of many to
make a difference in the world for blind Americans

The next day visiting our New Jersey congressmen and senators, presenting
the issues at hand became very personal for me. I can only speak from my
own
life experiences, and that’s what was given.  Hope begins to build! Faith
began to increase knowing that my children, your children and the children
to come won’t have to feel “less than” because they are blind or have a
visual impairment.  We told our stories to our representatives in Congress.
We can live lives we dream! I am a member of the NFB, and we can’t be
stopped!

Connor Mullin

My first legislative appointment was with Representative Bill Pascrell's
office. We spoke with one of his legislative aides, Alex. My job was to
tell
him about the Access Technology and Affordability Act (ATAA). As I
described
the bill, he listened politely, but when I brought in my personal story of
why access technology was so important to my college success, his demeanor
changed. It seemed to reach him in a genuine way, as he broke his relative
silence to say that he could only imagine how not being able to afford this
kind of technology would make the already challenging endeavor of college
so
much more daunting.

I think Alex was listening from start to finish, but I think he understood
after I made our proposal real through my experience. This is why it is so
important that we have the Washington Seminar each year. Although it is
true
that year-round relationship management is probably the most crucial piece
that drives our legislative agenda, blind people presenting our initiatives
with real-life accounts at this event every year reaches lawmakers and
their
staff in a way that statistics, facts and footnotes cannot. Put simply,
therefore, to contribute to this critical component is why I show up.

Editor’s Note: The New Jersey Affiliate provided the cost of airfare to DC
for Connor; here is his note of thanks:

I wanted to write to thank each and every one of you for helping to make it
possible for me to attend this year's Washington Seminar. It was truly
amazing to be able to travel to DC and advocate for our policies on the
Hill. As someone who got their undergraduate degree in political science,
being at the Capitol was a thrill, but it was equally empowering to know
that we were changing the attitudes of some of the nation's most important
people (and that includes the legislative staff) about what blind people
can
do.

Thank you all so much once again. I hope to repay you through my
involvement
in the NFB and work as a future rehab professional.

next story

PURSUING EQUAL RIGHTS FOR BLIND PARENTS

By Ryan Stevens, Chair of the NFBNJ Resolutions Committee

Hello, fellow New Jersey Federationists. Ordinarily, I would be providing
you with an overview of the resolutions passed at our most recent State
convention. This time, however, I will be highlighting the actions that
members of the affiliate are taking to bring the goal of one of them to
fruition. What we are hoping to accomplish is so important, this resolution
was the only one presented last November in Woodbridge.

During the past few years, a number of state affiliates throughout NFB have
been introducing bills into their legislatures which would give equal
rights
to parents and guardians who are blind in adoption, foster parenting and
custody disputes. It has been a long-held and mistaken belief in society
and
in law that blindness prevents a person from properly caring for children.
Blind people throughout time have shown their ability to be caregivers who
are as competent as sighted persons, yet have had their children taken away
without their capabilities even being considered. To date, 10 of these
bills
have been passed and signed into law, with four others currently working
their way through state houses.

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is putting in
significant
effort to join this growing list of states. At the 2018 State Convention,
one of our speakers was Assemblywoman Yvonne Lopez from the 19th
Legislative
District. At the end of her presentation, we discussed parental rights with
her at the podium, and provided her with a copy of the resolution. She
offered to support our endeavor in any way she could. Since then, our
Parental Rights Committee, led by Chairperson Joanna Mallard, President Joe
Ruffalo and First Vice President Linda Melendez, have met with her and her
staff on multiple occasions. At the last meeting in early February, they
brought copies of the 10 bills signed into law. The Assemblywoman is using
these to make a template for what she hopes to bring to the New Jersey
Assembly floor. There may be some changes to her proposed bill, and it will
be reviewed by the Parental Rights Committee and by the NFB National
Center.
Once there is consensus that the language is correct, Assemblywoman Lopez
will present it to her colleagues. We are also seeking an advocate in the
State Senate.

The timetable for all of this is obviously uncertain, but this vital
pursuit
is moving forward. President Ruffalo and I will keep you posted on the
progress of this bill. As it begins its journey through the legislative
halls in Trenton, we will be counting on your voices to turn it into law so
that blind parents and guardians are afforded the same level of respect and
protection as all others. To read the resolution from the 2018 State
Convention, go to www.nfbnj.org.

next story

The Agnes Allen Distinguished Service Award

Presented at the 2018 NFBNJ State Convention

By Carol Castellano

The Agnes Allen Distinguished Service Award is presented to organizations
or
individuals who are not members of our organization, who have made
substantial contributions to improve the quality of life for the blind of
New Jersey. It is the highest honor that we give as an affiliate, and we
regard the recipients of this award as true friends of the blind,
instrumental in championing programs that will benefit the blind community
and dedicated to initiatives that will generate hope and promise in
innumerable ways.

This award honors the life and work of Agnes Allen who was born in 1924 and
who continues to be an independent, confident, capable and optimistic blind
woman with a life-long love of learning and education, and a commitment to
living a life of service.

In her career, Agnes instructed blind and DeafBlind students, and
encouraged
them to tackle any obstacle that stood in the way of achieving
independence.
Her commitment to Braille literacy is evidenced by the fact that she was
still tutoring blind students in Braille after her 90th birthday.

A long-standing and active member of the National Federation of the Blind,
Agnes served as an officer of both the New Jersey and Connecticut
affiliates, helped to found chapters, participated in state and national
conventions, and was a long-time volunteer in our Braille mentoring program.

Her example of generosity, love of neighbor and joyful, positive attitude
has been a great blessing to her family, friends and colleagues. She is
deeply respected and dearly loved, and we are very happy to give an award
in
her honor.

The recipient of this year’s Agnes Allen Distinguished Service Award is:
The
Middle Atlantic Blind Golf Association.

The story of the Middle Atlantic Blind Golf Association—or MABGA—begins in
1948, when Robert Allman, blind since age 4, created a plan to share the
joys of golf with blind friends and to organize a competitive blind golf
program in the local blind community and beyond.  I imagine Bob was a fine
organizer—he had already excelled in many areas of life, including as a
wrestling champion and Phi Beta Kappa recipient at the University of
Pennsylvania, a husband in a successful marriage, a father of four sons and
the principle of a busy law practice.

Over the past 70 years, the organization has grown and thrived due to the
enthusiasm of its many volunteer coaches, and the cooperation and
generosity
of the many golf clubs that sponsor outings. The coaches, so generous with
their time and talents, say that they enjoy seeing their blind golfer hit a
good shot more than hitting one themselves.

In 1993, MABGA, along with the Philadelphia Section of the PGA and many
local golf professionals, launched its Junior Golf Program for blind and
visually impaired boys and girls ages 5 – 21. Each young golfer receives
individual lessons and equipment, not to mention pizza and soft drinks at
each event. This program is the first known joint effort between a PGA
Section and a regional blind golf association. MABGA’s goal is to extend
this program to blind children across the entire country. Events are held
at
the pitch and putt course and practice green at the Overbrook School for
the
Blind in Philadelphia, spearheaded by our friend Norman Kritz. Norman
unfortunately could not be with us tonight.

Today, MABGA has almost 200 blind junior and senior golfers and volunteer
coaches.  The Junior Golf program has expanded to North Jersey, and
additional sites in Georgia and New York.

So it is with great pleasure that we bestow the Agnes Allen Distinguished
Service award to the Middle Atlantic Blind Golf Association. Accepting on
behalf of the organization is Mario Tobia.  The plaque reads:

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

Presents the

Agnes Allen Distinguished Service Award

to the

Middle Atlantic Blind Golf Association

In Recognition of Invaluable Contributions to the Quality of Life of the
Blind of NJ

Through the efforts and dedication of volunteers over the past 70 years,

MABGA has enabled blind children and adults

To learn the skills of golf, experience the pleasure of the sport,

And enjoy one more opportunity to be included in the mainstream of society.

This award recognizes MABGA’s efforts to raise expectations, increase
opportunity and Facilitate integration of the blind into society on the
basis of equality.

Together with love, hope and determination, we transform dreams into
reality.

November 3, 2018
>From the grateful members of the NFBNJ

Photo above: Joe Ruffalo, left, presents the Agnes Allen Distinguished
Service Award to Mario Tobia and Marty Jensen, from the Middle Atlantic
Blind Golfers Association.

next story

RAISING EXPECTATIONS AWARD 2018: CONGRATULATIONS BRIAN MACKEY!

NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo presented the Raising Expectations Award to
Brian Mackey at the 2018 New Jersey State Convention in November (see
picture at left). Brian began his NFB life as a POBC kid. As the years went
on and he grew up, he took his own place in the Federation and began his
years of service to the affiliate. Many adjectives can be used to describe
Brian—he is dedicated and reliable, spending many hours working on
affiliate
projects, researching things for us, and finding out the answers to
questions. He keeps us all on the straight and narrow, sending out reminder
messages whenever we need them. He also has the fastest fingers in the
East—just as you’re hanging up the phone, his reply is in your email box!

Brian serves as the webmaster for NFBNJ and also for other affiliates. He
has held positions on the chapter, division and affiliate levels, most
recently serving as affiliate Secretary and then Treasurer. Outside his
many
NFB activities, Brian enjoys golf and karate, and he’s participated in the
surfing adventures.

Brian was presented with a plaque that read:

Presents the RAISING EXPECTATIONS AWARD to

Brian Mackey

In Recognition of Your Commitment, Dedication and Hours of Hard Work

on Behalf of the Blind of NJ and the Nation

Your invaluable contributions have enhanced each of our lives.

Whenever we have asked, you have answered.

We call you our colleague with respect.

We call you our friend with love.

Together, with love, hope and determination we transform dreams into
reality.

November 3, 2018
>From the grateful members of the NFBNJ

next story

INTRODUCING THE NEW MEMBERS OF THE NFBNJ BOARD

By Katherine Gabry

NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo and members of the National Federation of the
Blind of New Jersey have welcomed a new State Board, voted into office at
the State convention in November. New board members are: Linda Melendez,
1st
Vice President; Ellen Sullivan, Secretary; Andrew Rees, Treasurer; and
board
members Annemarie Cooke and Zoraida Krell.

We’re grateful for the combined 25 years of service of our retirees – Brian
Mackey, Alice Eaddy and Dan Facchini – and wish them well in their future
endeavors. Brian served as Secretary for two years and Treasurer for six
years; Alice was a board member for four years and Secretary for two years;
and Dan was a board member for 10 years and one year as 2nd Vice President.

And now, please meet the new members of the State Board of the NFBNJ:

Linda Melendez, 1st Vice President

A native of Brooklyn, New York, Linda now lives in Keyport, along the
northern New Jersey coast. She describes herself as confident, strong and
goal oriented. She has worked as a secretary, word processor, IT technician
and a coordinator of new hire training for major corporations.

Linda brings commitment, dedication, determination and time, as well as a
passion for the members of the NFBNJ, to her service on the board. “I want
to see the success of the NFBNJ’s chapters, divisions, programs and
projects
continue, and to be a part of the continued growth of our affiliate,” she
states. Further, she believes that moving out of one’s comfort zone can
provide a sense of accomplishment and empowerment.

Linda has attended New Jersey State Conventions regularly since 2015, at
which time she made a decision to not just attend, but to commit to the
NFBNJ with her ideas, energy and time. This decision also motivated her to
attend a national convention, and in 2016, she was a recipient of the
Jernigan First Timers Scholarship Award at that convention. In 2018, she
had
the privilege of being the NFBNJ Alternate Delegate.

Linda is passionate about getting to the gym at least three times a week.
She also enjoys spending time in the kitchen making homemade chocolate
lollipops, and chocolate covered pretzels, Oreos and walnuts.  She used to
make the sweet treats for the children in her son’s classes, as well as for
the holidays and parties. “Now that I’m going to be a grandmother,” she
says, “I am coming out of retirement and will be making them for my
grandbaby and NFBNJ auction baskets.”

Ellen Sullivan, Secretary

Ellen lives in Maplewood (Essex County). She grew up in Washington
Township,
NJ, in Bergen County. She describes herself as energetic, enthusiastic and
persistent.

Ellen was a pharmacologist and worked in the pharmaceutical industry for
almost 18 years. She has also done volunteer work since she was 12 years
old, including working with children, seniors, children with disabilities,
fundraising, peer support and the National Federation of the Blind (both in
Delaware and New Jersey).

When asked what she brings to the NFBNJ board and why she wants to serve,
Ellen replied, “I think I compliment this very energizing organization by a
willingness to help my fellow colleagues any way I can. I have good
listening skills (needed for a secretary) and am very goal oriented. I like
the NFBNJ leadership and enjoy working with them. It is a pleasure to have
the opportunity to work with so many gifted individuals.”

Ellen has attended one New Jersey State Convention and two national
conventions. The conventions have been life changing for her because she no
longer sees blindness as a limitation. “I’ve enjoyed many new friendships
and have learned innumerable ways to manage my life to make it meaningful
me and those around me,” she says.

Some of Ellen’s favorite pastimes include reading, walking and exploring
with her cane, walking dogs with her sister, and the treadmill.

ANDREW REES, TREASURER

A native of Long Island, NY, Andrew and his family moved to Somerset
(Somerset County), New Jersey more than 40 years ago. He describes himself
as diligent, detail oriented and committed. He has a master’s degree in
social work, and has worked at the Office on Aging and Disability Services
for more than 16 years.

“I am honored to be on the NFBNJ board and am devoted to doing my very
best,” Andrew says. He has been a member of NFBNJ for 20 years, and brings
both a commitment and a passion to serve the members of the affiliate. He
finds, “The power of this movement on national and global levels is felt
after attending both state and national conventions.” He’s attended six or
seven state conventions and two national conventions.

On a personal note, Andrew likes sports, mostly baseball, and he’s an “avid
Yankees fan.” He also listens to a lot of music, with classic rock as a
favorite, although his tastes range from classical to heavy metal, and
include jazz. He also enjoys a variety of ethnic foods.

Annemarie Cooke, BOARD MEMBER

Annemarie has lived in Southampton, in the South Jersey Pinelands, since
her
semi-retirement in 2015. She was born in Elizabeth and spent 45 years in
the
New Brunswick area going to school and working. She describes herself as
compassionate, curious and a wordsmith.

Annemarie was a reporter for a daily newspaper for 17 years, and then
became
the “public face” of Recording for the Blind, where she also spent 17
years.
On the conference circuit for that organization, she first became involved
with the organized blind community, which allowed her to attend,
altogether,
more than 50 national and state conventions. Through these conventions,
she’s
met fellow Federationists with whom she feels a strong desire to work on
NFB
activities and projects.

After Recording for the Blind, she worked for a small assistive technology
company, attended culinary school, worked for the Commission for the Blind
under a short-term government program and is now completing her third year
as a mentor to blind/VI high school students in the EDGE program.

When asked what she brings to the NFBNJ board, Annemarie replied,
“Organizational skills; the ability to write clearly, concisely and under
deadline; an intense belief in the abilities of blind people; a sense of
adventure; and the consideration of how to find a way to accomplish just
about anything I want to do and the desire to help other blind folks gain
the confidence and competence to do the same.” As a semi-retiree, she also
now has the time to devote to the NFBNJ, making phone calls, writing
letters, advocating, or lending an ear or a helping hand whenever needed.

Annemarie classifies herself as a lifelong learner and someone with a wide
range of interests. She enjoys exploring the world around her, traveling,
reading, taking classes and cooking.

ZORAIDA KRELL, BOARD MEMBER

Zoraida has been a resident of Bergen County all her life. She currently
resides in Bergenfield with her husband of 23 years, Brian. She grew up in
New Milford. She describes herself as caring, kind and honest.

Zoraida is the senior executive director of franchise development at Brain
Balance Achievement Centers, which educate children with different learning
abilities. She describes her work as a wonderful mix of education and
business.

Zoraida is the secretary of the NFBNJ’s Northeast Chapter, and believes
that
the insights she’s gained from this membership will serve her well as a
board member. She believes that serving on the state board will provide her
with a broader understanding and appreciation of the needs of those who are
blind and visually impaired throughout the state, and the opportunity to
serve NFB members in a more personal way. She also cites Northeast Chapter
President Dan Facchini as a model example of service.

The November 2018 state convention was Zoraida’s first NFB-related
convention. She enjoyed the camaraderie of those she met, and found meaning
in their shared stories, meals, meetings and fun.  She also appreciated not
being the only “blind person in the room,” and the trust and caring from
fellow Northeast Chapter members who made it a point to keep track of each
other.

Zoraida cites music, concerts and plays, and meeting up with friends, as
among her favorite pastimes. She also says that she doesn’t mind housework,
with the main goal of keeping her home neat, in consideration of safety
issues. She also knits and crochets, and is looking forward to learning how
to use a hand loom.

next story

BUILDING ON NJ’S TRAILBLAZING LEGACY FOR THE BLIND & VISUALLY IMPAIRED

By Dr. Bernice Davis, Executive Director

New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired

In 1908, a then 27-year-old Helen Keller and her teacher Anne Sullivan
visited the home of Montclair resident Sarah Churchill, a philanthropist
and
music teacher who was also blind. Churchill had invited several community
leaders and elected officials to her home, including Governor Franklin
Fort,
to talk about the need for New Jersey to have a state agency dedicated to
addressing the needs of blind children and adults. Following that meeting,
Keller was invited to give testimony before the State Legislature, and in
April 1910, with New Jersey ranking third in the nation for population
density, the Commission for the Blind began providing education and
training
for blind residents under the leadership of its first Executive Director,
Lydia Hayes Young.

It’s now my honor to have been named the eighth executive director of CBVI.
In this role, I’m responsible for the administration and operations of the
single state authority charged with providing education, vocational
rehabilitation, independent living, eye-health services and assistive
technology for the 300,000 residents of New Jersey who are blind, visually
impaired or deafblind.

For nearly 110 years, the Commission has been at the forefront of the
blindness services movement and continues to strive for the realization of
new levels of achievement for consumers of all ages. We will expand upon
this rich history by facilitating opportunities for people living in New
Jersey who are blind, visually impaired and deafblind.

I am a doctor of psychology and have more than 20 years of administrative
experience, having held several leadership roles in both the private and
public sectors. Since joining the Commission’s staff 13 years ago, I’ve
been
very fortunate to have had the opportunity to augment that experience with
vital information and experiences shared with me by colleagues and many
consumers – all individuals willing to invest in CBVI’s success in meeting
the current and future needs of the people we serve.

Our community stakeholders also serve as a valued resource that enables us
to maintain awareness of the expectations of our consumers and the
importance of the Commission’s fulfillment of the same.

Upon reflecting on my tenure at the Commission, I’ve witnessed many
advancements in the field of blindness services. The tremendous strides in
technology alone have achieved great gains in facilitating independence and
an environment of inclusion, but most importantly it has been the dedicated
work of CBVI staff, consumers, advocates and other partners to promote
positive attitudes about people who live with blindness and vision
impairments that have made the greatest impact.

NFBNJ has, for many years, been instrumental in conveying the needs and
concerns of blind, visually impaired and deafblind persons across New
Jersey. Please know that ensuring that individuals who are blind and
visually impaired have access to opportunity is among the top priorities of
Governor Murphy and everyone that works in his administration. This – in no
small part – is the result of your effective advocacy, done not only for
your members, but also on behalf of all blind and visually impaired
residents.

I wholeheartedly agree that together we can make a difference, and I look
forward to working with the leadership of the NFBNJ on our shared
commitment
to ensure that people who are blind, visually impaired and deafblind have
the chance to live the life they want.

We’ve been busy, and I would like to share a few highlights from the past
12
months:

·       We celebrated with two groups of age 55+ consumers and their
companions upon their completion of the Senior Hands-On Retreat Experience
(SHORE) program. The program participants received training and resource
information with the goal of enabling them to acquire the necessary skills
and confidence to maintain independence with vision loss.

·       We held a ceremony to mark the launching of the Library Equal
Access
Program (LEAP) at the Newark Public Library with Lieutenant Governor Sheila
Oliver, Department of Human Services Commissioner Carole Johnson, and
Newark
City Council President and CBVI retiree Mildred Crump. LEAP provides
assistive technology training for people 55 years of age and older.

·       More than 60 high school students participated in a CBVI-sponsored
summer transitional services program geared towards preparing them for life
after high school and adulthood.

·       Our Project BEST provided eye screenings to nearly 35,000 people.
Of
that number, nearly 4,000 people were referred for further medical eye care.

·       The Commission is also focused on jobs. Last year, it provided
pre-employment transition services, transition services and vocational
rehabilitation services to 921 students in secondary or post-secondary
education. It also helped 373 Individuals pursue post-secondary education,
while 204 Individuals exited the vocational rehabilitation system after
successfully obtaining, maintaining or advancing in their careers in
competitive integrated employment.

We are also implementing strategies to significantly expand our community
education and outreach with the goals of making sure that people who need
CBVI services are aware of what we do and for the general public to gain a
greater awareness of the abilities and potential of people who are blind,
visually impaired and deafblind.

We have more to come, and I look forward to working in partnership with
NFBNJ on our shared priorities. I understand the trust that’s been placed
in
our agency and take it seriously. Please be assured that the Commission for
the Blind and Visually Impaired will continue to build upon its
trailblazing
legacy.

next story

WHY GET INVOLVED?

By Rose Santiago

Editor’s Note: Rose is a board member of the Northeast Chapter and chair of
the Spanish Committee, as well as a volunteer in the Braille Enrichment
through Literacy and Learning (BELL) program. She is a business owner of
Mariposa Essence and the author of Live Your True Essence and Organic
Recipes for Your Personal and Spiritual Pleasure.

Comments from NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo: I’ve known Rose for several
years.  She’s a friend, colleague and role model. She’s also someone who
identifies a goal, outlines the steps and works her plan to achieve her
goal.  Once she achieves her goal and crosses the finish line, the finish
line becomes her next starting line.  It is rewarding for me to witness the
ways she transforms her dreams into reality!

Here is Rose’s story:

The most outstanding accomplishment in my life has been to be the proud
mother of my son, Gabriel. Raising him as a single mom, while also managing
a business and taking care of my own home and personal responsibilities,
was
often quite challenging. Nonetheless, during those years, I endeavored to
care for my son and established a housekeeping business for 14 years, which
allowed me to support my child and secure a home for the both of us.
Throughout my life, I have always believed that having a positive mindset
and knowing that everything would work out fine despite setbacks was the
determining factor in growing as a person and business owner who was blind
since birth. I always felt that I could do more, thus I decided to become
an
author and start a new business, Mariposa Essence. The opportunity to help
others break through their limiting beliefs and disempowering thoughts that
inevitably lead to living a life of pain and discontentment is what led me
to write the book, Live Your True Essence,
http://www.LiveYourTrueEssence.com.

In March 2016, I became a member of the National Federation of the Blind.
Here, I discovered that there were other blind individuals who had also
traversed seemingly insurmountable barriers as I had, and yet were able to
become a powerful force in motivating others and demonstrating through life
experiences that they, too, could live the life they wanted. “What a coup!”
I thought with relief. I knew I would fit right in. A year later, I became
chair of the Spanish Committee, and in January of 2018, I was elected board
member of the Northeast Chapter In all, I am extremely grateful and proud
of
the woman I am today. To serve in any capacity where I can make a
difference
in someone else’s life is what absolutely brings me true joy and
satisfaction.

next story

NFB CAREER MENTORING PROGRAM: LOOKING FOR MENTORS & MENTEES

By Maurice Peret

Editor’s Note: Maurice Peret is the coordinator of career mentoring
programs
for the National Federation of the Blind, a national program that provides
pre-employment transition services to blind and low-vision students. Before
joining the NFB staff, Mr. Peret, among other things, worked with, trained,
and educated blind youth and adults as a lead O&M instructor and
rehabilitation projects coordinator and, before that, as a rehabilitation
outreach coordinator for Blind Industries and Services of Maryland
Rehabilitation Department.  He is National Orientation & Mobility Certified
(NOMC) and is a member of the National Orientation and Mobility
Certification Training Committee under the direction of the National
Blindness Professional Certification Board. He also serves as a peer
reviewer for the Journal of Blindness Innovation and Research. In addition,
Mr. Peret served as NFB’s base camp communications manager for the 2001
NFB/Allegra Mt. Everest expedition which featured Erik Weihenmayer, the
world’s first blind mountaineer to summit the highest peak on Earth Along
with his wife, Lou Ann Blake, Mr. Peret has hiked the Maryland portion of
the Appalachian Trail, part of which was done during their honeymoon.

In 2014, President Barack Obama signed into law the Workforce Innovation
and
Opportunity Act which mandated that state agencies serving blind and low
vision consumers allocate at least 15 percent of their Federal funds to
transition age youth, a historically underserved population. The NFB Career
Mentoring Program is an innovative program that makes available a
nationwide
network of successful blind professionals in as many careers and personal
interests as can be imagined by young blind people hoping someday to live
the lives they want. The program centers around five essential elements of
success. They include:

1.    the notion that it is okay to be blind;

2.    that mastery of the alternative skills of blindness leads to greater
confidence and independence;

3.    dealing gracefully yet assuredly with public attitudes about
blindness
helps dispel outdated myths about blindness;

4.    that blending in adds up to fuller integration and inclusion in the
best that society has to offer, and

5.    that giving back is the full measure of success as a blind person.

Without the competitive advantage of shared experiences of blind men and
women who have negotiated the labyrinth of educational, vocational and
employment systems, youth who are blind or have low vision can become
discouraged by the low expectations held by society. A matrix mentoring
model insures that mentees in the NFB Career Mentoring Program are matched
with not just one, but in many cases two or even three successful blind
mentors. The program includes monthly interactions between mentors and
mentees, regularly scheduled monthly teleconferences to gauge and measure
progress in the program, and quarterly mentoring retreats focusing on
essential aspects of career exploration, work-based learning experiences,
enrollment in postsecondary education and training, job readiness skills
and
self-advocacy.

Currently, the NFB is under agreements with three state agencies –
Maryland,
Mississippi and Nebraska – to provide career mentoring-based,
pre-employment
transition services. If you are a young person not looking to reinvent the
wheel, you are encouraged to sign up to become a mentee by completing the
online application at: https://nfb.org/menteeapplication. If you are a
successful blind working adult or student, perhaps your talents can be put
to work helping the next generation of successful blind people. If so,
please complete the online mentor application at:
https://nfb.org/mentorapplication.

Remember that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your
future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people because low
expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can
live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back!

For further information, please contact Maurice Peret, Coordinator of
Career
Mentoring Programs, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230, (410)
659-9314, extension 2350, or by email at: MPeret at nfb.org

next story

Rose Santiago TO HOST BOOK SIGNING FOR LIVE YOUR TRUE ESSENCE APRIL 12

  Join NFBNJ member and author Rose Santiago in an evening of great
conversation and a chance to own your personal copy of her recently
published book, Live Your True Essence: Learn 12 Secrets That Will Empower
Your Mind, Balance Your Body and Enlighten Your Spirit. The event will take
place Friday, April 12, at 7 p.m., at the Trattoria Il Cafone Italian
restaurant, 7 Ridge Road, in Lyndhurst.

Rose has studied and practiced essential oils that support holistic healing
for almost 20 years. In addition, for over two decades, she has researched
and studied business, philosophy and the connection between scientific
study
and spiritual enlightenment. Throughout her journey, she has uncovered a
spiritual path based on a higher way of thinking, using practical
principles
to help others live their authentic and divine essence.

Her online business, Mariposa Essence, provides organic and natural
products
that assist in bringing overall balance and well-being to the mind, body
and
spirit. Rose volunteers her time with the NFB and the Lion's Club,
organizations that open doors to a life of independence for many. Rose’s
passion for helping others to master a lifestyle that reflects their true
essence is the driving force behind what she writes about.

Rose enjoys reading, relaxing at the beach, and cooking healthful dishes.
You can learn more about all that Rose offers at her website:
www.RoseSantiago.com.

next story

FROM SEED TO HARVEST

By Gerald Moreno

Editor’s Note: In his long tenure as a member of the NFBNJ, Jerry served as
affiliate secretary, board member and chapter president. He now resides in
North Carolina with his wife of nearly 46 years, Madeline. Jerry was
recently elected chapter president in North Carolina, and the members “down
yonder” enjoy his New Jersey accent. His essay below was written in
February
1997; he revised it in January 2019. Its meaning today is as relevant as it
was in 1997.

WHY NOT WORK? This question is asked by many blind people. However, some
other blind folk ask … WHY work? They ask this question because of a lack
of
understanding, for if they only realized that inside themselves is the
potential to succeed – that the possibility already exists within them –
they would not even think of failure.

Consider a tomato seed. It has all the potential, given the proper set of
conditions, to become a fruit-bearing plant. All that is necessary to
become
a tomato is already in the seed. Contemplate that for a while. Think of
yourself as a seed. Are you planted in fertile ground, or are you on the
shelf? A seed on a shelf is useless. It cannot produce anything. Until
planted, it will never bear fruit. However, with the proper set of
conditions – prepared soil, sufficient water and nutrients, sunlight and
heat, and a weed- and obstacle-free environment – the seed can grow and
flourish.

Like that seed, what you need to succeed is already within you, and you,
too, need the proper conditions to grow and flourish. Seeds need prepared
ground so that the seedlings can pierce the top soil, and the roots can
absorb sufficient water or nutrients. Without water and nutrients, the
plant
will shrivel up and die. Likewise, your mind must be prepared; you must
understand and believe in yourself, that you can make it. If you don’t have
this belief in yourself, you will never rise above your own expectations.
You’ll exist, but you won’t prosper. Believing that you can begins the
process of growth. Break up the hard ground in your mind and allow your
victory to grow!

Once the ground is prepared, the seed can be planted. Roots actively seek
the life-sustaining forces of water and nutrients at this level of growth.
You, too, must vigorously explore your “water and nutrients”: Education and
training to strengthen your abilities and allow you to grow into the
marketable employee that is inherent in you. After you receive sufficient
education and training, you can enter the job market knowing that you have
something to offer, a fruit worthy of harvest!

Sunlight and heat to a plant are like networking and camaraderie to us. The
sun's rays shed light on the plant, thus enabling it to produce fruit.
Networking's illuminating effect sheds light on available services,
training
and assistive technology, and leads to job opportunities As a sprouting
leaf
gravitates toward the sun and turns toward it, you also must seek out those
who are presently employed and learn from them. The only way you can find
out about these things is by taking the initiative. Without networking, you
run the risk of no harvest, that is, no job! To learn about job
opportunities, you must be in contact with those who know. Turn to people
who already are working and ask them how they got their jobs. Associating
with successfully employed people will lift up your attitude; it’s always
better to identify with positive people than negative. Do not allow
yourself
to be dragged down.

Throughout the United States, there are meetings of chapters of the NFB
that
you can attend, as well as conventions and events. Email jobs at nfbnet.org to
join the NFB’s Jobs listserv. The warmth of camaraderie will nurture you
and
give you companionship. Knowing that there are others who have already
traveled the road you are about to take may alleviate your fears.

Weeds can choke a plant to death. There are those in society who have
hindered the opportunities of blind people to succeed. Most are
unintentional, due to a lack of education or information; nonetheless, the
result is the same. The choking effect of misconception and ignorance needs
to be pulled up, as a weed from the root, and destroyed. Given a weed-free
environment, the blind can be just as fruitful as their sighted peers.

Some obstacles to plant growth may have nothing to do with soil or climatic
conditions. Improperly planted seeds may become food for the birds. Shallow
planted seeds will not survive. If you are not prepared for employment, or
even greater, for life, you run the risk of being devoured while on your
path.

To be fruitful, you must first learn what the obstacles are and then how to
avoid or remove them. Knowledge and wisdom help to expose and extract any
obstacle in your way. Maintain perception of your situation; what seems at
first to be a Mount Everest in your path may in fact be just an anthill.
The
rich history of the NFB is replete with examples of dislodged Mount
Everests. Floyd Matson's “Walking Alone and Marching Together” chronicles
many a mountain turned anthill. It’s essential reading for all blind
persons.

Do not be weighted down with excess baggage. Life has enough of its own.
Learn efficient travel from those who are or have been on the path.

The position in which a seed is planted has no effect on the harvest; it is
the proper preparation and care of the field that ensures a harvest worth
the labor involved. Like the seed, no matter what position you find
yourself
in, you have the potential to be fruitful. It might take some effort on
your
part, but it can be done. If you give up and stay at home, like a seed on a
shelf, you will not be fruitful.

Some time must elapse between the sowing of the seed and the time you enjoy
the fruit of your labor. Yet, some people who have planted themselves in
the
employment field lose hope when they do not see instantaneous results. Just
like there is a growing season for tomato plants, there is a growing season
for you. If you do not realize this, you can become discouraged and quit.
Quitting interrupts the growth cycle and never leads to fruit.

A farmer would never dig up a seed to see if it is growing! Knowing that he
has done all that he could, he has enough confidence in the idea of
seedtime
and harvest to wait with anticipation. If you have been diligent and set
the
growth process into motion, you can wait patiently and with expectation.
The
farmer looks at his planted field and pictures the prospective harvest. Do
the same for yourself. Picture yourself employed and successful. Be just as
expectant of success as that farmer is of a bountiful crop.

Why not work? The choice is yours. You decide whether there will be an
employment harvest. It starts with a decision. Make the right choice and
the
growth process is set in motion. Remember: A seed on the shelf bears no
fruit. By following the aforementioned principles, you can learn to
overcome
any obstacles. Plant yourself and produce a plentiful harvest!

next story

BELLS READY TO RING FOR A SIXTH SUMMER!

The BELLs will be ringing again as the NFBNJ sponsors its sixth Braille
Enrichment through Literacy and Learning (BELL) Academy weekdays, 9 a.m. to
3 p.m., July 22 – August 2, 2019, at the Puerto Rican Association for Human
Development (PRAHD) in Perth Amboy. Parents must transport their children
and from the facility each day, and provide them with lunch, unless
otherwise specified. There is no cost or registration fee for children to
attend this program.

    The BELL Academy helps blind and low-vision children ages 4 – 12
develop
the literacy skills that will empower them to achieve their academic goals
and live the lives they want. The NFBNJ is especially grateful to the
Allergan Foundation for their generous grant this year. Also, this year,
with the assistance of our Wells Fargo partners, we will provide
opportunities for students to imagine, create, and touch their future and
dreams not only through Braille instruction, but also by nurturing their
development of tactile arts and graphics. Through the generous support of
the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults, each student
participant in the 2019 NFB BELL Academies will be provided with an inTACT
Sketchpad.

The NFB provides an overview of the program at https://nfb.org/bell-academy.

The Frequently Asked Questions brochure for New Jersey is available at
https://nfb.org/bellacademy-faqs-affiliate/nj. For additional information,
please contact Mary Jo Partyka, NJ BELL coordinator, at choirnfb at gmail.com
or by phone at 609-888-5459.

>From Ice Cream to T-Shirts, Braille Paper to Pizza

YOU CAN HELP SPONSOR THIS SUMMER’S BELL ACADEMY

The following sponsorship opportunities are available for the BELL Academy
this summer:

$200 T-shirts for all participants                      $20 Dark-lined paper

$200 Arts and crafts supplies

$150 Christmas party in July

$100 Louis Braille birthday party

$100    Games: Twister, Bingo

$50 Ice cream at the beach

$30    Mid-week pizza party

$30    Braille paper

$20 Dark-lined paper

$15  20/20 pens

$10  Daily snacks

$5   Water each day

Sponsorship for Tactile Graphics Products
1.    4 or more Sensational Graphics Blackboards at $49.95

2.    3D Doodler Pens, $100 each with ink strands. Extra ink strands, $12
for a 25-pack

3.    InTact Sketch Pad electric eraser, $150

4.    InTact Sketch Pad paper: 100 sheets for $24

Make your check payable to NFBNJ and send it to Joe Ruffalo, NFBNJ
President, 254 Spruce Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003.  In the memo, please
write “BELL.” Sponsorship in any amount is appreciated. Thank you for your
interest and support in driving the BELL Academy vehicle along the road to
literacy and learning for blind children.

next story

NFBNJ SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS ANNOUNCED AT 2018 STATE CONVENTION

Mary Fernandez, chair of the State Scholarship Committee, has announced the
winners of the 2018 NFBNJ State Scholarships. Congratulations to each of
the
following:

Jonathan Zobek: Tom& Gail Ferry Memorial Scholarship

This scholarship will go a long way in helping offset my college education
expenses. I am currently studying communications at The College of New
Jersey, and one day hope to give back to the blindness community, either as
a certified rehabilitation counselor or orientation and mobility
instructor.
Either way, I am so thankful for your generous contribution to my future.
Thank you for believing in me and investing in my education and future
employment.  I will continue to try my best and maintain academic success.

Connor Mullin: Louise& Pete Facchini Scholarship

Editor’s Note: Connor wrote the following letter to Louise and Pete’s son,
Dan Facchini:

I am writing to express my sincere gratitude for selecting me as the
recipient of the 2018 Louise and Pete Facchini Memorial Scholarship. After
getting back involved in the NFB in 2017, you have been a wonderful mentor
and friend to me, and I consider your friendship a major reason why I have
remained as engaged as I have been. With the financial support that this
scholarship will provide, I intend to continue to be an active member in
the
National Federation of the Blind, to become a competent, confident travel
instructor, and to keep your friendship close to my heart. Thank you once
again for believing in me and being a tremendous friend.

Alba Milla: Klaus & Michelle Zechner STEM Scholarship Award

I would like to thank you for awarding me this scholarship. It means a lot
to me that there are people like you in this world who are generous and are
willing to lend a helping hand to those who need it. My journey is not
easy,
being a single mother and a full-time college student.  People as kind as
you make it possible for people like me to continue to strive and put our
best foot forward every single day. Please know that this scholarship is
very much appreciated and will be put to good use.

Lauryn Boyle: Tara Carty Memorial Scholarship

It was such an honor to receive this special scholarship in memory of Tara
Carty, and I will do my best to live up to her legacy, sharing my smile and
my music with the world! I am grateful to receive this generous scholarship
because it gives me the ability to continue studying vocal performance at
James Madison University. My dream is to perform on Broadway or at The
Metropolitan Opera in New York City, or perhaps even in Germany. After my
performing experiences, I hope to open an art school to include music,
dance, theater and music therapy so that all children, including those who
are differently abled, can come to learn and experience the beauty of the
arts.

Before the NFBNJ State Convention, I knew only one other person who was
visually impaired, aside from my brother. It was comforting to meet others,
especially some my own age, and this helped me to feel less alone knowing
that there are many others who are similar to me, who are also confident
and
successful. The attendees and speakers at the convention taught me that
everyone has gone through plenty of struggles, but are still able to
triumph. I learned that people may lose their eyesight, but no one will
ever