[NFBWV-Talk] Fwd: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 12/09/2019

Sheri Koch skochnfbwv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 22:03:37 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: President, National Federation of the Blind <
OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Date: Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 4:58 PM
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 12/09/2019
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <
OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>

President’s Notebook National Federation of the Blind Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org 410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Last week we opened our Barney Street wing, which was remodeled during the
past nine months. You can read about the new space in an upcoming issue of
the *Braille Monitor*, and you will get to stay in it during our presidents
gathering. Our opening event was a great success and there is no doubt that
the new space reflects the strength, warmth, and community we find in our
movement.

The December Presidential Release is available now. It includes critical
information about rooms for our Washington Seminar so please make sure it
gets to all of those who need it for their chapter meetings.

Our partners at the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults want
affiliates and chapters of the National Federation of the Blind to know
that there are still Braille calendars for 2020 available for free. To
request calendars, email actionfund at actionfund.org, or call 410-659-9315.

News: This Sunday: Open-House Gathering for Prospective Members:

The National Federation of the Blind hosts an open-house-gathering call to
discuss membership with those who are interested or unsure of becoming a
member. It is an opportunity to hear from active members and leaders on the
myths and uncertainties of the Federation. The next call is scheduled for
December 15 at 4:00 p.m. eastern. Sign up by emailing membership at nfb.org or
calling 410-659-9314, extension 2509.
  Voting Letter to Secretaries of State:

Currently, the majority of states do not provide blind and low-vision
voters with an accessible way to mark an absentee ballot. As an activity
under our Help America Vote Act (HAVA) grant from the US Department of
Health and Human Services, we recently sent a letter to the secretary of
state for these states to remind them of their obligation to provide
accessible absentee voting as required by Title II of the Americans with
Disabilities Act and recent court decisions in cases brought by the NFB in
Maryland and Ohio. The letter is attached for your information. If you
receive any feedback from your secretary of state or state elections
officials in response to this letter, or if you have questions about
accessible absentee voting, please contact Lou Ann Blake, deputy director
of Blindness Initiatives at lblake at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2221.
  *Braille Monitor*: Convention Bulletin 2020 and More:

Whether you plan to eat more green vegetables or to visit the gym beyond
the month of January, there is one goal that must be on your New Year list:
resolve to be in Houston this July for the National Federation of the
Blind’s 2020 National Convention. Check out the latest issue of the *Braille
Monitor* that includes many details for the 2020 National Convention,
Washington Seminar, open enrollment for various scholarships and awards,
stories for the holiday season, and more. Read the December *Braille
Monitor*
<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm19/bm1911/bm1911tc.htm>.
  AIM High Legislation Dropped:

Last week, Congressman Phil Roe (R-TN) and Congressman Joe Courtney (D-CT)
introduced the Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education Act,
also known as the AIM HIGH Act (H.R. 5312). More information is available
in our press release found on our website
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-applauds-introduction-aim-high-act-0>.

  Tips and Tools for an Accessible Smart Home:

The idea of a “smart home” is becoming less science fiction and more of a
reality. On December 17 from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. the National
Federation of the Blind is hosting an accessibility boutique via Zoom
teleconference that will cover security systems, appliances, in-home
applications, and entertainment systems. Register today
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques>
!

Reminders: Last Week to Request Santa Letters:

The National Federation of the Blind provides Braille Santa letters to
young children across America. Along with the Braille letter, Santa
includes a print letter so that parents who might not read Braille can
follow along. He also includes other fun holiday activities. Deadline to
submit request is December 16. Submit your Santa letter request today!
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters>

Dates to Keep in Mind:

   - December 16, 2019: Deadline for Santa letters
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters>
   - January 9-11, 2020: NFB BELL® Academy Training Seminar
   - February 10, 2020: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins
   - March 26-27, 2020: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium, Baltimore, Maryland
   - April 14-17, 2020: NABM BLAST <http://www.blindmerchants.org>;
   Chicago, Illinois
   - June 21-27, 2020: NFB EQ; St. Paul, Minneapolis
   - July 14-19, 2020: NFB National Convention, Houston, Texas

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+East+Wells+Street,+Baltimore,+MD+21230?entry=gmail&source=g>

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.