[NFBWV-Talk] 2019 NFBWV State Convention

Sheri Koch slk8332015 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 16:52:01 UTC 2019

July 30, 2019

Hello 2019 NFBWV Convention attendees,

It is hard to believe that in just over seven weeks our convention will be
underway in Morgantown, West Virginia.  I hope you are as excited as I!
Below is information you will need to secure your lodging plans if you are
going as a paying member as other tidbits you will want to know.

Just so you can begin marking your calendars, here are some dates to keep
in mind.  Our NFBWV Board of Director’s meeting which is open to the public
will be held September 18th at 7:00p.m. A fabulous training will be
conducted by Mr. Anil Lewis from the NFB National office, on navigating the
labyrinth of the State/Federal Rehabilitation system.
We also hope to have a panel discussion on ways to improve this system to
make them more responsive to the needs of blind West
Virginians.   This training will take place prior to convention on
Thursday the 19th and on Friday morning of the 20th.  Our general sessions
and reports will begin at 2:00p.m. on the 20th.  You may come to all or
part of these prevention activities, just let me know your plans to we can
make adequate space available.  A detailed agenda is forthcoming to help
you make your selection.

Where are we meeting this year?  We're in the same place as last year;
Morgantown, West Virginia. The Holiday Inn’s address & phone number are:
HOLIDAY INN
1188 Pineview Dr.
Morgantown, WV  26505
Phone: (304)241-664

Each room not covered by the affiliate will cost $105 + 6% tax + 6% hotel
fee for a total nightly rate of $117.60.  The room rate will include two
free breakfast coupons. “The deadline to reserve your room(s) is September 3
rd but I would encourage you to reserve them sooner if possible.

What other expenses might you expect to incur? Unlike recent years, we have
decided to include the plated Friday night reception meal in your
registration fee, making it more equitable for all.  So, your
pre-registration fee will be $45.00.  This year’s banquet fee will be $30
if y6ou pay for it two weeks before convention.  For those pre-paying,
lease make your checks payable to the National Federation of the Blind of
West Virginia and mail them to our treasurer:
     Sandy Streets
     220 Buena Vista Ave.
     Clarksburg, WV  26301

Registration fee which covers the reception meal will be $50 at the door
and y6our banquet will cost $35 when  paid onsite.

Oh yeah!!  Don’t for get to bring those door prizes.  If your chapter is
bringing door prizes, they should be valued at $10 or more and put in a
brown     paper bag.  If they are gender-specific, please indicate it on
the outside of the bag by writing M or F.  If they are age-specific please
also indicate this on the bag.  Cash and lottery tickets are always a
delight so you might consider this as you think about those door prizes.

Please don’t forget about our wonderful auction!  Not only6 is it a blast,
but it’s our largest statewide fundraiser for the affiliate.  In addition
to bringing those donated auction items, don’t forget about those baked
goodies that sell so well.  I have it on good authority that there may be a
couple Lenox musical cookie jars for sale.  If you don’t like to bake or to
solicit items, how about those items tucked safely away that you don’t use
who need a new home.  I think most of us have great “stuff” just sitting
around that would make someone happy.

I have just one more thing that you might consider giving.  Do you have old
folding canes just lying around?  Have you thought about throwing them out
but just couldn’t bring yourself to do that?  Well, they can be put to very
good use.  This year, we are collecting your used canes for an organization
called You Cane
Give.  They refurbish old unwanted canes and give them to individuals
around the world who can’t afford a cane. Can you imagine walking around
with a stick instead of a cane? It happens!  Let’s give the gift that we so
often take for granted. Let’s give the gift of freedom. Bring those canes
to convention!

Finally, let me say that we have a good pre-convention training a
convention planned.  Your convention planning committee is hard at work
finalizing your agenda.  I hope to have it out during the middle of
August.  In the meantime, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call
me at 304-993-5103.

Sheri