[Nfbwv-talk] Fwd: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 06/03/2019

Sheri Koch skochnfbwv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 12:37:56 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: President, National Federation of the Blind <
OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Date: Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 8:33 AM
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 06/03/2019
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <
OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>

President’s Notebook National Federation of the Blind Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org 410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

It is June and that means we are in the final month of planning for our
national convention. I am feeling the excitement of the convention
anticipation. There will be a lot of information about the convention
coming your way, so please read your convention-related emails closely. A
reminder to our first-time delegates that we have a call on Wednesday
evening to help with your convention preparation.

The final Presidential Release before the convention should be coming out
early tomorrow.

During our calls with chapter presidents we are finding that a number of
our chapter presidents are not aware of our listserv specifically for
chapter presidents. When you have a new president in one of your chapters,
please be sure to ask David Andrews, david.andrews at nfbnet.org, to add them
to the listserv and to remove the previous president. This is a good way to
get new presidents plugged into a leadership community quickly, and to help
them find answers to their questions.

News:

Annual Report:
The National Federation of the Blind 2018 Annual Report
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/annual-report-and-financials/2018-annual-report>
is
available for review. The annual report reflects highlights of several
programs, stories from members, and the audited financial statements.

Scholarship Breakfast:
Thank you to those states that have already contributed to fund the 2019
scholarship breakfast. If your state has not yet donated, there is still
need for your support. The breakfast is the only opportunity the
scholarship finalists have to meet and talk with the entire committee in an
informal setting without prepared remarks or microphones. As such, it is a
critical event in the week-long scholarship experience and gives the
committee some of their best opportunities to come to know each finalist,
and for the finalists to come to know the committee and the Federation.

Please make your contributions payable to the NFB of Colorado and mail them
to Lisa Bonderson / LaBarre Law Offices, P.C. / 1660 S Albion, Suite 918 /
Denver, CO 80222
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/1660+S+Albion,+Suite+918+%2F+Denver,%0D%0A+CO+80222?entry=gmail&source=g>
.

The scholarship committee would appreciate receiving all funds by June 15.

Legislative Update:
Congress is back in session this week and will continue to work up to the
Independence Day holiday. Before we gather in Las Vegas for our national
convention, it is critical that members of Congress hear from us regarding
the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act (H.R. 873 and S. 260.)
Please call your representative and senators and ask them to cosponsor H.R.
873 or S. 260. Currently we have forty-one cosponsors in the House and six
in the Senate. You can contact the offices in question by calling the
Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121. If you send an email, please copy Gabe
Cazares <gcazares at nfb.org> in your correspondence.

Lyft at Convention:
We are excited to announce that we have partnered with Lyft to hold an
autonomous vehicle demonstration at national convention. A select number of
attendees will have the opportunity to ride in the Lyft vehicles and
provide important feedback on the technology. Participants will be randomly
selected from our list of preregistered attendees. However, the opportunity
for riding in Lyft’s autonomous vehicles is still available for people in
Las Vegas. If attendees use Lyft during their time in Las Vegas, they can
check the option on the app to participate in the autonomous vehicle
rideshare service. Please note: not all Las Vegas Lyft cars are autonomous
vehicles.

NFB Camp Registration:
The deadline for NFB camp registration is June 15. The registration is at
https://nfb.org/nfb-camp-registration-form.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

   - June 16-22, 2019: NFB EQ
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/national-center-blind-youth-science>,
   Baltimore, Maryland
   - June 25, 2019: Accessibility Boutique - Nonvisual Accessibility of
   G-Suite Products
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/accessibility-boutiques>,
   Baltimore, Maryland
   - July 7-12, 2019: NFB National Convention
   <https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>, Las Vegas, Nevada
   - February 10, 2020: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+East+Wells+Street,+Baltimore,+MD+21230?entry=gmail&source=g>

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.