[Nfbwv-talk] Fwd: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] Blind Americans Protest Refusal of Entertainment Industry to Cast Them

Sheri Koch skochnfbwv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 17:36:23 UTC 2019

I like this. See below.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Danielsen, Chris via State-Affiliate-Leadership-List <
state-affiliate-leadership-list at nfbnet.org>
Date: Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 1:03 PM
Subject: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] Blind Americans Protest Refusal
of Entertainment Industry to Cast Them
To: Danielsen, Chris <CDanielsen at nfb.org>
CC: Danielsen, Chris <CDanielsen at nfb.org>

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

*Blind Americans Protest Refusal of Entertainment Industry to Cast Them*

*National Federation of the Blind Comments on Forthcoming TV Series*

*Baltimore, Maryland (March 12, 2019):* The National Federation of the
Blind, the nation’s oldest and largest organization of blind Americans,
issued the following statement today from its President, Mark Riccobono,
regarding the portrayal of blind characters and specifically the
forthcoming CW television series “In the Dark”:

“The entertainment industry has produced dozens of movies and TV shows
portraying blind characters, usually offensively or inaccurately, and not
even one of them has featured a blind actor in a recurring lead role. If
blind people are included, they play supporting roles, and sometimes there
is a single blind writer or consultant. If organizations like the National
Federation of the Blind are consulted at all, the consultation occurs after
production, and the producers seek validation rather than collaboration.
The forthcoming midseason replacement series ‘In the Dark’ is no different.
Its producers sought to justify their exclusion of a blind actor from the
leading role in a session full of excuses at a recent conference. These
excuses were inadequate and needlessly dismissive of blind actors. We have
had enough! There are blind actors looking for work, and no sighted actor,
however accomplished or talented, can bring the same insight and
authenticity to a blind character. Sighted actors receiving attention and
awards for portraying blind people is itself deeply offensive. We, and our
lives, are not Oscar or Emmy bait. If the entertainment industry and the
viewing public are interested in learning about us, that is well and good.
But we will define how we are portrayed by taking our rightful place on
America’s movie and TV screens.

“We demand that the CW network and the producers of ‘In the Dark’ withdraw
the finished episodes and re-shoot them with a blind actor in the starring
role. If this demand is not met, we call upon all advertisers involved with
the program to withdraw their sponsorship and urge all Americans to join us
in enjoying other viewing options if the show airs. Furthermore, the
National Federation of the Blind will not endorse or collaborate on any
scripted film or TV series with a blind character if its producers do not
develop a substantive plan to cast a blind actor. Finally, we will actively
oppose and boycott any project where no such plan is in place. We invite
the entertainment industry to work proactively with us to identify and
develop the talent of blind actors rather than focusing on casting sighted
actors under cover of the spurious claim that blind talent cannot be found.
The shameful history of Hollywood defining us without our participation
ends now.”

*###*

*About the National Federation of the Blind *

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is
the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded
in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the
fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of
blind people of all ages and provides information and support to families
with blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We
believe in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to
transform them into reality. Learn more about our many programs and
initiatives at www.nfb.org.

*CONTACT:*

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.

Director of Public Relations

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
<https://maps.google.com/?q=200+East+Wells+Street,+Baltimore,+MD+21230&entry=gmail&source=g>

(410) 659-9314, Ext. 2330 | cdanielsen at nfb.org

Twitter: @rlawyer

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

State-Affiliate-Leadership-List:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/state-affiliate-leadership-list_nfbnet.org/skochnfbwv%40gmail.com