[Nfbwv-talk] Fwd: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 03/25/2019

Sheri Koch skochnfbwv at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 22:27:56 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: President, National Federation of the Blind <
OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Date: Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 4:11 PM
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 03/25/2019
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <
OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>

President’s Notebook National Federation of the Blind Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org 410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Spring is here, and the weather is starting to show signs of the change.
The birds have begun taking over the trees in South Baltimore, providing an
extra note of hope in the air.

I am excited about the feedback I am getting around our membership efforts.
Just a reminder, I am seeking fun ways to incorporate the membership coin
into our national convention. Also, a reminder that I am seeking
suggestions of speakers or topics for the general sessions at the national
convention. Time is of the essence on making suggestions.

Speaking of change, construction has started on the Fourth Floor Barney
Street Wing here at our national office. This means if you are coming to
our law symposium this week or visiting for some other reason over the next
six months, the patterns will be different. We cannot wait to open the new
space to all of you.

I hope that some of you will be able to join us at our protest in New York
City on April 2. If you need details, please reach out to Kyle Walls at our
office at kwalls at nfb.org. Kyle is managing the list of who will be with us
on the streets in front of CBS.

*Critical Actions This Week:*

Let Us Play Us Campaign Update:
We continue to publicly disapprove of the lead role of a blind woman being
played by a sighted actor in an upcoming television series called *In the
Dark*—scheduled to air April 4 on The CW. We received a response from the
show’s executives that claims they acted in good faith and that they are
interested in meeting with us after we have watched the show. Meeting prior
to the show airing is crucial, but so far, the executives have neither
agreed nor declined the request to meet prior to April 2. Therefore, here
are our next action items for this campaign.

·         On Wednesday, March 27, join the conversation on Twitter and
Facebook from noon to 2:00 pm EST using the hashtag #LetUsPlayUs.

·         On Tuesday, April 2, we will hold a public protest in New York
City at the CBS Corporation. As its producer, the CBS Corporation is
affiliated with the show. If you are able to attend this protest, please
reach out to Kyle Walls at kwalls at nfb.org for additional information on
location and times.
  *News:*

NFB Blindness Experience Teaching Internship Program:
The National Federation of the Blind, in coordination with our three
comprehensive, residential training centers, will be providing an exciting
internship opportunity for professionals who are either currently working
with blind individuals or who are preparing to work in the blindness field.
An internship at one of our training centers will provide the hands-on
training and experience necessary to jump-start a career in the field of
blindness. This nine-month program will provide each participant with the
philosophy, positive attitude, and skills that will put them on the cutting
edge of work with blind and low-vision individuals. If you are interested
in obtaining more information or applying for the internship, visit
https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/blindness-experience-teaching-internship
.

NFB BELL Academy Dates:
Below are the dates of our NFB BELL Academies. We will have forty-one
programs in twenty-nine states.

·         5/27-6/7 Tucson, AZ

·         5/28-6/7 Memphis, TN

·         6/2-7 Clarksville, TN

·         6/2-8 Ruston, LA

·         6/3-14 Prichard, AL

·         6/10-21 Kansas City, KS

·         6/10-21 Littleton, CO

·         6/10-21 Missoula, MT

·         6/10-21 Salt Lake City, UT

·         6/10-14 Springfield, IL

·         6/11-15 Amory, MS

·         6/17-28 Philadelphia, PA

·         6/17-28 Pittsburgh, PA

·         6/17-28 Madison, AL

·         6/17-20 Alvin, TX

·         6/23-28 Columbus, GA

·         6/24-28 Albuquerque, NM

·         6/24-28 Coeur d’Alene, ID

·         6/24-28 Indianapolis, IN

·         6/24-28 Westminster, CO

·         6/24-7/3 Las Vegas, NV

·         7/15-19 Grand Junction, CO

·         7/21-26 Columbus, OH

·         7/22-8/2 Boise, ID

·         7/22-8/2 Phoenix, AZ

·         7/22-8/2 Columbia, SC

·         7/22-8/2 Idaho Falls, ID

·         7/22-8/2 Perth Amboy, NJ

·         7/22-8/2 Salisbury, MD

·         7/22-7/27 Charleston, WV

·         7/28-8/2 Harrisonburg, VA

·         7/29-8/9 Baltimore, MD

·         7/29-8/9 Chicago, IL

·         7/29-8/9 Washington, DC

·         7/29-8/9 Glendale, MD

·         7/29-8/9 Pharr, TX

·         8/5-8/16 Minneapolis, MN

·         8/5-8/16 Portland, OR

·         8/5-8/16 Redding, CA

·         8/5-8/16 Wilmington, DE

·         8/19-23 New York, NY

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

   - March 28-29, 2019: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
   <https://nfb.org/law-symposium>

·         March 31, 2019: NFB scholarship application
<https://nfb.org/scholarships> deadline ·         April 15, 2019: Dr. Jacob
Bolotin Award <https://nfb.org/programs/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards> application
deadline

   - May 1, 2019: Distinguished Educator Award
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award>
   nomination deadline
   - June 16-22, 2019: NFB EQ <http://www.blindscience.org/nfbeq>,
   Baltimore, Maryland
   - July 7-12, 2019: NFB National Convention
   <https://nfb.org/convention/2019>, Las Vegas, Nevada
   - February 10, 2020: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins

blindness is not what holds you back.