[NFBWV-Talk] NFBWV MEMBERS AT LARGE MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Thu Jun 11 20:48:50 UTC 2020

Greetings Chapter Members, Prospective Members, & Colleagues

The Members at Large Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia will hold its next monthly meeting via Zoom on Sunday, June 14, at 4:00 PM.  The standard Zoom meeting room information is below.  I plan to open the meeting room about twenty minutes early, in order to give everyone plenty of time to join and visit before the meeting begins.

Minutes for our May meeting will be distributed to members in a subsequent message, and they will be reviewed and considered for adoption as the first order of business.

The remainder of the agenda will be a busy one.  First, NFBWV affiliate president, Sheri Koch, will discuss her decision not to seek re-election as affiliate president, and we will consider the potential impact of that decision upon the affiliate and the chapter.  We will then turn our attention to the subject of race and the National Federation of the Blind.

As part of his "live" presidential release on June 4, President Riccobono issued a public statement headlined:

National Federation of the Blind Stands in Solidarity with All Those Impacted by Racial Injustice

This statement says, in part, "Recognizing that this is a time of intense grief, a time of learning, and a time of reflection, we stand with our members who are in pain and pray not only for peace but for justice. We stand in solidarity with our black members and publicly commit to do anti-racist work within our organization. We ask our nonblack members to take the time to self-reflect in ways we can participate to create an anti-racist world."

In the spirit of President Riccobono's pronouncement, I have invited several of our African American members to share some personal thoughts and observations on the subject, and I encourage all of us to be prepared to join in a constructive and enlightening conversation.

As the number of participants in our monthly meetings continues to grow, I have recently been learning more about the many features of the Zoom meeting platform.  I will try to use some of these features to reduce the level of audio distraction and to ensure that everyone has an opportunity to be heard in an appropriate and respectful manner.  I request your patience and assistance as we try to conduct a fair and orderly meeting.

Please help make sure all of our members receive this reminder, and I look forward to another productive meeting on Sunday.

Cordially,

Ed

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Ed McDonald is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFBWV Members at Large Monthly Meeting (using NFBWV Board of Directors Meeting ID)

Time: Sunday, June 14, 4:00 PM

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/108464122

Meeting ID: 108 464 122