[NFBWV-Talk] Invitation to discuss accessible voting in WV at NFBWV Members at Large Chapter Meeting, Sunday, May 17, 4:00 PM

Keri Svendsen keribcu at gmail.com
Sat May 16 19:46:37 UTC 2020

Ed,

I have been keeping in touch with Sherry on this issue a bit. I am
currently volunteering on the Stephen Smith campaign. At this point it
doesn't matter who someone is voting for, of course the campaign wants
the answer to be Stephen, but one of our big focuses is making sure
people are getting their absentee ballots and voting.

I know that there may be a chance one of us comes across a blind person,
we know how to assist them. Would anyone have a problem if a staff
member or two joined, as long as they kept their politics out of it? I
personally think the campaign will be interested in this issue, and how
they can help if at all.

If people are in agreement to this I will reach out to Stephen and the
campaign staff to see if anyone would like to join. I have come to know
the staff well, and they really want to help all West Virginians however
possible, regardless of how they vote.

thank you,

On 5/16/2020 3:28 PM, Ed McDonald via NFBWV-Talk wrote:
> The news reminds us often that COVID-19 has led to the growing nationwide popularity of absentee voting; however, A few of us blind people here in West Virginia have recently discovered some obstacles to the process of requesting and casting an absentee ballot completely independently by non-visual means.  Achieving non-visual access to online absentee voting is still a work in progress, but we'll have a chance on Sunday to discuss the subject with Regina Desmond, a Senior Advocate with Disability Rights of West Virginia (DRWV).
>
> Both Gina and President Sheri Koch have had communications with the Secretary of State's Office about this matter, and Gina has prepared a demonstration of an accessible online sample ballot, so there should be a lot of interesting information to share, especially if you have not yet voted.
>
> We are inviting all members of our affiliate, as well as any other blind people around the state who might have an interest, so I hope you will feel free to join us.
>
> We will meet via Zoom on Sunday, May 17, at 4:00 PM.  We will use the usual Members at Large Zoom conference Room, and I will paste the contact information below.
>
> In a subsequent message, I will distribute to chapter members the minutes from our April meeting to review and be ready to consider as part of our opening business.
>
> Please feel free to share this invitation appropriately on our social media platforms, since I don't know how, and I look forward to having many of you with us on Sunday.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Ed
>

> * * * * * * * * * * * *
>

> Ed McDonald is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
>
> Topic: NFBWV Members at Large Meeting with Regina Desmond, using NFBWV Board of Directors Meeting ID
> Time: Sunday, May 17, 4:00 PM
>
> Join Zoom Meeting
> https://zoom.us/j/108464122
>
> Meeting ID: 108 464 122