[NFBWV-Talk] New Phone Info From Tennessee Affiliate

Aaron Spears valiant8086 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 02:37:52 UTC 2021

Hi.

Thanks for posting. According to this page

https://www.blindshell.com/eshop/blindshell-classic-2-blindshell-beep-for-free

this device is 4g ready not 5g. The bands supported include LTE 4g and
such, no 5g. Also 450 pounds would be a similar price to iPhone SE2020
brand new, so it's not a lot cheaper than a cheap and still good iPhone.
It does have 5ghz WiFi. Having said that, this is still good stuff for
anyone who needs a button phone. I'd be curious how it would treat the
Telegram app. Not having a touch screen at all must make navigation
interesting for some apps. It does sound like we can install third party
apps and be able to access them using the Blind Shell screen reader
though I'm not sure if I understood what I read correctly on that. For
sure just having whats app built in is pretty limiting. Where's facebook
messenger, Skype, Teams, Zoom, Telegram, etc? If third party apps can be
installed and used then problem solved for any who want more than what
it just comes with. Some things might be important like being able to
use the nls bard app, Google Lookout, etc. If third party apps can be
used, then it hasn't made it clear just on the page I linked above just
how you install those. Does it have Play Store access, Amazon App Store
or what?

I've been a fan of the button phones myself. I switched to Android ages
ago because I was able to get a Samsung Captivate Glide which has a
touch screen and a big keyboard. Later on I had a Blackberry Priv which
runs Android and has a slide out keyboard. Blackberry has more keyboard
phones running Android, KEYone, KEYTwo, KEYTwoLe. Then there's the fx
tech pro1, unihertz titan, unihertz titan pocket, and a couple of
obscure Samsung flip phones with regular keypads. My Moto Z2Force phone
which accepts Moto Mods, devices you affix to the back of the phone
somewhat similar to Apple's fancy and thus not entirely original Mag
Safe feature for the modern iPhones. I had an extra loud speaker, an
extended battery, and a projector. But a mod for it was being developed
to give it a slide out keyboard similar to that of the fx tech pro1 but
never made it to market.

Samsung had type covers for their galaxy line of phones for a while. I'm
not sure if that is available for the modern ones or not though. You
could buy for instance a Galaxy S8, and get a cover for it that gave you
a keyboard that you could snap on the front, and the phone would shrink
the screen and disable the portion the keyboard covered up at the
bottom. Pretty slick to be honest, though I never had one to know how
good it really worked.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com