[NFBWV-Talk] Article from Cumberland Times News Local News Section 2022 02 26

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Sat Feb 26 19:23:52 UTC 2022

Here is a similar story from WV MetroNews:

https://wvmetronews.com/2022/02/26/fire-at-schools-for-deaf-and-blind/?fbclid=IwAR1YGA12NZCEFxyMmGSMFKzXHrxwN0XZxP-wRVcYvICNZmM8dkv39R56sco

NEWS
Fire at Schools for Deaf and Blind; administration building destroyed by flames
FacebookTwitterEmailSMS
By Jeff Jenkins
February 26, 2022 - 10:30 am
The blaze in the administration building was reported at 6:09 Saturday morning. (Photo/Eastern Panhandle Working Fires)
Flames were showing throughout the building when crews arrived on scene early Saturday morning. (Facebook/Eastern Panhandle Working Fires/Troy Conard)
U.S. Route 50 is closed in downtown Romney. (Facebook/Eastern Panhandle Working Fires/Troy Conard)
The fire was reported Saturday morning in the Administration Building at the Schools for the Deaf and Blind. (Facebook)
1 / 4
ROMNEY, W.Va. - The historic Administration Building at the West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and Blind was destroyed in a Saturday morning fire.

There were no injuries. Students had been transported home on Friday for the weekend.

The blaze in downtown Romney was reported at 6:09 a.m., according to Hampshire County emergency dispatchers.

What Administration Building looked like before fire. (Courtesy photo)
Romney resident Troy Conard told MetroNews he drove by the building at about 4:30 a.m. on his way to a local car wash. He said he didn't notice anything unusual. He said about 90 minutes later he was waiting for a local diner to open when he heard about the fire.

"The fire whistle went off and I heard a guy's pager said 'Fire in Romney,' and I walked to the main road about 50 yards and looked up there and that whole building was on fire-out every window. I don't know how it took off so fast," Conard said.

More than a dozen fire crews from Hampshire and surrounding counties were dispatched to the scene.

The state Department of Education said the building housed historical artifacts and the school superintendent's residence.

"This morning, shortly after 6:00 a.m., a fire broke out at the Administration Building on the campus of the West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind. The building was unoccupied at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported," the department said. "No students were on campus at the time of the fire. The state Fire Marshal's office will be on-site today to investigate as the building was a complete loss."

Clayton Burch
State School Superintendent Clayton Burch said he was thankful students were not in danger.

"It is important that no students were on campus during this traumatic event," Burch said. "Nonetheless, this is a major loss and students will have many questions when they return. We will provide the necessary supports for both students and staff, and we will work closely with state officials that are investigating."

State School Board President Miller Hall expressed thanks for the quick response of local firefighters.

Miller Hall
"We are shocked and saddened by the loss of this iconic building but are grateful no one was hurt and there were no additional losses," Hall said in a statement. "Fire and emergency crews arrived immediately, and the Department of Education, Board of Education and the WVSDB sincerely appreciate their swift response."

Gov. Jim Justice called the fire "absolutely heartbreaking news" in a Saturday afternoon tweet. Justice voiced for the schools its staff and students. He also said investigators with the state Fire Marshal's Office were seeking assistance from the federal Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF).

"Working together with @WVEducation, we are absolutely committed to rebuilding what was lost and making sure this institution has what it needs to continue its important mission in Hampshire County," Justice tweeted.

Conard told MetroNews the Administration Building was "the prettiest building we had." He said it was built in the 1800s. The building sits on the front of the sprawling campus facing west along U.S. Route 50.

Fire crews did the best they could but were fighting a losing battle, according to Conard.

"They just weren't doing no good. It was so hot-people at the McDonald's across the street were describing the heat. Everybody had to stay back. The biggest fire I've seen in this town in 45 years," Conard said.

He told MetroNews it hurts to lose the building.

"The Schools for the Deaf and Blind are the hub of the community. It's one of our oldest and prettiest buildings we had. We kind of feel like we lost all of our history," Conard said.