[NFBWV-Talk] Dorothy Schultze

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Mon Jan 24 18:13:39 UTC 2022

What a day for sad news in our Federation family!

We also learned from Jack Yahnke during Saturday's board meeting that Dorothy Schultze had passed away some time ago, but details were sketchy.  I was able, however, to locate the obituary below.

Dorothy is one of those who brought me into the Federation back in 1968.  She was the last of what was a strong contingent of Wheeling members back then--Chris Cerone, Charlie and Lucy Monfradi, Paul Hughes, Evelyn Milhorn, Mabel Griffith, etc.  She represented the Wheeling chapter on the NFBWV board of directors for more years than I can recall, and she was inducted into our Hall of Honor.  It is unfortunate that we did not become aware of her passing at the time it occurred, but she was a stalwart of our movement for decades.

We mourn the loss and the misfortune of those who have touched our lives in so many ways.

Peace,

Ed

Dorothy Elizabeth Schultze
August 25, 1925 - January 14, 2021
Dorothy Elizabeth Schultze, 95, of Wheeling, passed away Thursday, January 14, 2021 a home surrounded by her family.
She was born August 25, 1925 in Wheeling, the daughter of the late William and Emma (King) Schultze.
Along with her parents she was preceded in death by her sister Ilene Mann and nephews Doug, Tommy and a great nephew Justin Mann.
Dorothy operated the concession stand at the Wheeling City-County building for nearly 25 years; was president of the Sightless Workers Guild of Wheeling for almost 50 years; was a board member of National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia and the Seeing Hand Association of Wheeling.
Surviving are a cousin Jerry Schultze ; her niece Linda (Mark) Kaminski with whom she lived with ; her great nieces Kerri and Markie who helped take care of her; nephew Rick (Diana) Mann of Florida; six other great nieces and four great nephews.
There will be no visitation at the funeral home. Services and interment will be held at the convenient of the family.