[NFBWV-Talk] 73 & Counting--A Long and Rambling Story of Growing Older

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Fri Oct 21 23:58:45 UTC 2022

Thanks to all of you on this list and elsewhere for the many good wishes, or--as my amateur radio friends might say--all of the 73's, as I accumulate that same number of years.  I do appreciate all of the kind thoughts and words.

This year it was really not so much a single birth day, but rather an extended birthday experience which made for an eventful and gratifying week.  It began last weekend when I poured all of my energy into the completion of a long-overdue computer project with a self-imposed Monday deadline.

As most of you know, I call myself station manager of a fledgling little enterprise known as Mountain Streams Radio.  For more than a year there has lived in my basement a new state-of-the-art computer (purchased with grant funds) whose stated purpose is to upgrade the sound and improve the operating efficiency of the station.  Since its arrival, my job has been to load the computer with the properly configured software and appropriate program content necessary for the machine to fulfill that purpose.  I allowed it to become quite a daunting job.  Nevertheless, I had a nearly overwhelming feeling of relief and accomplishment on Monday morning, when the machine at last left my basement and went into service at the station.  This rebirth of Mountain Streams has been accompanied with a series of technical challenges which I am still working on, but getting the new system up and running was a birthday gift unto itself.

Tuesday morning I took a pair of steps toward preparing my on-camera appearance for next week's Re-Visions Conference and convention--a much-needed haircut and beard trim.  Then, following an afternoon of routine weekly chores in the recording studio, I spent much of Tuesday evening in a virtual board meeting of PattyFest, Inc., an organization based in the Morgantown area that supports traditional West Virginia music and which has generously supported the radio station.

Wednesday was the big day.  It began with aiding and abetting my wife in the construction of a slow cooker pot of homemade chili for the evening meal.  Following kitchen clean-up and a quick shower, it was off to the dentist's office aboard the local Ready Ride bus for our routine cleanings.  Then came the long-anticipated arrival of a college friend and fellow radio geek whom I had not seen for nearly fifty years.  For those who have listened to Mountain Streams, his voice happens to be the voice you hear on many of our station identifications.  His 24-hour visit was filled with nearly constant conversation--college reminiscences, family updates and personal stories, musings about the state of the world, and of course lots of radio talk.  Dinner was a perfect combination of good food and fellowship--as one would expect.  Chili was complemented by a large tray of raw vegetables fresh from the local supermarket, enhanced with Karen McDonald's world famous curry dip.  Later in the evening came cupcakes (no candles), specially baked at Karen's request by a friend who is starting up a local bakery business.

Following my college friend's departure on Thursday afternoon, there was time for a few more radio station chores before Karen and I joined what we are told were nearly 100 other community folks for the annual awards dinner, presented by our local Chamber of Commerce.  After all of that, a good night's sleep was in order--especially when one reaches this age!

Today's agenda  was to sleep a little later than usual, get some exercise on the elliptical machine, take care of a few household chores, and try to catch up on all sorts of overdue messages--including this one.

As much as I may try to downplay the significance of the arrival of another October 19, I must admit to feeling pretty happy when a combination of events and dear people come together to create such a memorable birthday experience.

Now I can only hope that I have time and energy to do what needs to be done before we gather for next week's convention.  I look forward to being with many of you then.

Peace and 73's

Ed