[NFBWV-Talk] WVATS Update, June, 2023

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Tue Jun 6 21:00:12 UTC 2023

WVATS COUNCIL UPDATE
JUNE 2023

The next meeting of the WVATS Advisory Council will be held October 31, 2023, virtually via Zoom from 10-12.

WVATS NEWS
WVATS is making some new upgrades to their facilities! There will be six different posters with frames that will be hung in the hallway where WVATS offices, lab, reuse area, and interactive kitchen are. There will be three posters on the outside of the lab that discuss the Tech Act that we operate under, how to request a loan through the website, and finally the services that we offer. Outside the reuse room, we will have a poster going over our current projects such as AT Champions and the Christopher and Dana Reeve's Grant. Finally, in the kitchen, we will highlight our various devices and accommodations that are able to be provided in someone's home kitchen. We are excited to get these made and hung up, so people can have those available to them if we are unable to give them a tour or if they are just stopping through.
The team is currently working on several different "How-To" guides. We have decided that these guides will be more beneficial compared to our seasonal newsletters. We will be covering accessible documents, service animals, making meetings accessible and more! These will be digital and print, allowing people to refer back when an opportunity arises. If you have a topic you would like to see covered please let us know!
OPPORTUNITIES
Pathways to Belonging Event- June 23rd
The Pathways to Belonging Event on June 23rd is a workshop that includes presentation and discussions about the current structure of the special education system.  There will be a focus on social devaluation in public schools with disabled students and other marginalized groups.  The discussion will focus on how these groups have been systematically devalued and the impact of this.  The ending goal will be to leave with plans on how to support students and increase the value of their social roles in school and the community. To register: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd_GmJemzMUm_jOdgrBNMVGsNeExxcemcOZWsb0xgZiAMkfnA/viewform

Family Fun Day-June 17th
The Family Fun Day sponsored by the Epilepsy Foundation will take place at the Heritage Farm Museum and Village in Huntington WV.  The event is free but requires registration by June 10th.  There will be food and activities for the entire family to enjoy from 12-3pm. To register visit: https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=dC8myiuF60uDWk9EyMpL8fBopwnBvv9JlHbXu0pzhM9UM0lDSFQxNURKSUU3OE9SM0pDMVI1TlI5SC4u
THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT
NotNav and NowNav GPS Accessibility: GPS for the Blind (One time pay) - This app gives step by step directions, reads the nearest street signs/compass headings, and alerts the user to nearby crosswalks and other safety features.  The app can adjust to different languages and accents to meet the linguistic needs of the user. This app is only available on android devices.
 Be My Eyes: Connecting visually impaired travelers (Free) - This app allows users who are blind or low vision to call sighted volunteers to help them navigate an area they are unfamiliar with. Volunteers are 24 hours a day and answer call in 185 languages.  Help for tasks such as reading appliances, labels, kitchen help and navigating menus and kiosks are also available on the app.

SOCIAL MEDIA
You can find regular updates and information on our services and devices on the WVATS Facebook page (WVATS), Twitter (@WVAssistiveTech) and Instagram (wvassistivetechnologysystem). Like and share the social media posts to help increase our outreach throughout the state and help raise AT awareness and access.