[NFBWV-Talk] WVATS September Update

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Thu Sep 7 19:07:22 UTC 2023

Below is the latest update sent to the West Virginia Assistive Technology System (WVATS) Advisory Council. I have served on the Council since its inception many long years ago, and Carol McGhee is also a member; however, you will note from the Update that there are vacancies. Therefore, if you have an interest in assistive technology and its availability to those who need it, I encourage you to consider serving on the Council.

WVATS COUNCIL UPDATE
SEPTEMBER 2023

The next meeting of the WVATS Advisory Council will be held October 31, 2023, virtually via Zoom from 11-3PM.

During the next meeting, several items will need to be discussed that are impacting the council as well as solutions to these issues.
WVATS has noticed a decrease in members with no applications for new members. If someone no longer wants to be a part of the board, we highly encourage people to reach out to co-workers or those in their community to fill out an application. Overall, the board needs more members so please encourage others to fill out an application and get involved.

WVATS would love for board members to let us know what events they will be attending and let us know if you feel like having us there would be beneficial to the program. We want everyone in West Virginia to know that we are here to serve them, we have devices available, and we can find items that fit their needs for independence. If you want us to let other board members know about an event coming up, please let us know, we can post it on social media and share it in the council updates each month.

OPPORTUNITIES
September 7th -8th 2023: Autism Across the Lifespan Conference
This conference discusses topics related to kids with ASD on the 7th and topics related to adults with ASD on the 8th with sessions running from 8:30am to 4:15pm including 2 breaks and a lunch break per day.  For more information about the specific sessions, registration, and stipends available for conference registration with individuals with disabilities visit:
2023 Autism Across the Lifespan Conference - WV Autism Training Center (marshall.edu)
September 11th 2023: Annual Huntington Bank Golf Classic - WV Special Olympics
This event is a yearly fundraiser for the WV Special Olympics. Golfing begins at 12pm and awards are given out afterwards at 5:45pm.  More information is available about registration and details of the event at:
Special Olympics WV Golf Classic (sowv.org)

THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT
MediSafe- Medication Management
This app provides reminder notification on a person's phone when it is time to take a medication.  The notification includes the quantity needed as well as a picture of the medication itself to ensure the user is taking the right medication at the right time.  Information needs to be entered only once and will repeat as needed until the user stops the reminders. The app also provides information about potentially harmful interactions of other substances with each medication.
Kitestring -
This app helps caregivers know that their loved ones are safe when they are out in the community. Kitestring allows you to enter your emergency contacts and it will alert them if you do not respond to pre-scheduled messages asking about well-being.  This can allow greater independence for individuals as loved ones can have peace of mind when users reply and can help if a person is in trouble and does not respond to messages.

SOCIAL MEDIA
You can find regular updates and information on our services and devices on the WVATS Facebook page (WVATS), Twitter (@WVAssistiveTech) and Instagram (wvassistivetechnologysystem). Like and share the social media posts to help increase our outreach throughout the state and help raise AT awareness and access.