[Nfbwvabs] Fwd: [Nabs-presidents] NABS Notes for February

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 23:23:36 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sean Whalen <smwhalenpsp at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:28:05 -0600
Subject: [Nabs-presidents] NABS Notes for February
To: List for NABS State Presidents <nabs-presidents at nfbnet.org>,
nabs-l at nfbnet.org

NABS Notes

February 2012

In this edition of NABS’ monthly bulletin:

1. NABS Café a Huge Success

2. NFB Scholarships Deadline Approaching

3. National Convention Planning Committee Seeking Members

4. State Announcements

5. Meeting Minutes

NABS Café a Huge Success

Thanks to everybody who came out to our NABS Café fundraiser in Washington
at the beginning of the month. We sold over 120 tickets to the event, and
raised over $2,000 for the work we do in NABS. Special thanks to planning
committee members Domonique Lawless, Briley Pollard, Shelby Ball, Corbb
O’Connor and Elizabeth Mohnke, as well as everybody on and off the board who
volunteered to help at the event. Also Huge thanks to all-star auctioneer
Jacki Brown, as well as all who shared their musical talents. We all had a
great time at the event and very much appreciate all the support we got from
across our NFB family.

NFB Scholarships Deadline Approaching

The headline really says it all! Each year, the NFB gives out 30
scholarships, ranging in value from $3,000 to $12,000, to legally blind
students in the U.S. If you want a piece of that cash, you’ve got to apply!
Applications are due March 31. Please follow this link to find out
everything you need to know about the scholarship program:

http://www.nfb.org/scholarship-program

National Convention Planning Committee Seeking Members

Your NABS Board is already hard at work putting together an exciting and
informative program for National Convention in Dallas this summer, and we’d
love to have your input! If you are interested in helping out with
fundraising, our meeting agenda, logistics, or anything else, please just
send an email to nabs.president at gmail.com and let me know. We’d love to put
you to work. It’s relatively painless, we promise, and you might even have
fun!

State Announcements

Note: All announcements are printed below as they were received from their
senders. No effort to edit for content, grammar or clarity has been made on
the part of NABS.

Maryland

We got off to a great start in 2012!  We held a meeting outside of Baltimore
and co-sponsored a weekend event with BISM.  From both of these events, we
gained a good amount of new members.  On April 14th, we will be cooking and
serving dinner, and teaching children about Braille, at a homeless shelter.
Our first annual "Day at the Park" will take place in May, and we are
planning to host an Open-Mic Night fund raiser in September.  We set up a
list serve, mdabs at nfbnet.org, and now have a fund raising and a
membership/events committee.

Nevada

Our conference call meeting on Saturday. February 25th from 5pm-6pm (1 hr)

Members began discussion of  a West Coast Regional NABS Seminar to be held
in Las Vegas, Nevada: to be held around Sept./Oct. 2012 and suggested topics
for seminar (speakers, banquet, workshops on technology/vocational
rehabilitation/etc, social activities, and resource fair)

Next Nevada NABS conference call meeting will be announced via email/phone
calls: agenda, so far, for next conference call will be:
discussion/assignments of committees for Regional Seminar and update in
surrounding states interested in attending Regional Seminar

New Mexico

The New Mexico Association of Blind Students is currently working hard on
recruiting for state convention. Our state convention will take place April
13-15 at the Uptown Sheraton. The hotel is located at 2600 Louisiana Blvd.
NE. Albuquerque NM 87110. If you are a high school, college, technical
school, orientation center, or other student interested in joining or
learning more about the New Mexico Association of blind students, please
contact Tara Chavez, president at nmabs.president at gmail.com. Our next
membership call will be held via teleconference on Sunday March 18, 2012 at
7:00PM MDT. The call-in information is (218_ 339-2699 access code: 725279#.

We are working on fundraising ideas such as having a pancake breakfast at
Apple Bee's on Saturday March 31st and going ice skating on March 10th.

Again, if you have questions, contact Tara Chavez.

Thank you,

Tara

Meeting Minutes

Please find the minutes for NABS’ February 2012 board meeting pasted below.
As always, please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions, concerns
or suggestions. The NABS Board works for you, and we want to know how we’re
doing! Thanks for reading, and we’ll be back in March.

Sean Whalen

President, National Association of Blind Students

(608) 332-4147

Nabs.president at gmail.com

National Association of Blind Students

Board Meeting Minutes

February 19, 2012

Meeting called to order at 8:37 P.M. eastern

Members Present:

Sean Whalen

Karen Anderson

Darian Smith

Cindy Bennett

Shelby Ball

Candice Chapman

Meghan Whalen

Briley Pollard

Domonique Lawless

Committee Reports

Fundraising: The auction was successful. Thank you’s need to be written

Membership: High school committee had a call and discussed how to reach out
to more high school students. There will be a scholarships call.

Slate: The winter slate was published before Washington Seminar.

Website: The contact page has been updated and a resource page is being
worked on.

Treasury report:

Currently

Savings: $1,503.19

Checking: $1,483.05

National has not cashed the $1,000 check. Pennies for Pages checks have not
been cashed.

Washington seminar

Registration: $345

Auction tickets: $626

Donations: $16

Raffle tickets: $89

$2,560 from auction items

$1,375 was credit card transactions and $25 has to be taken out for credit
card transaction fees

Balance is $5,094.05

After expenses: $3,880.05

$486 check donation for the purchase of Disney passes which were auctioned
off

Shelby made a motion to pay off the outstanding reimbursements. Cindy
seconded it. Motion passed.

Old Business

Rep Requests: Missouri is looking for someone, Darian probably. New Mexico
also asked for Darian. Texas asked for someone, and the state affiliate
seems to be willing to help with transportation. Sean or Karen will go.
Shelby is going to the NC student seminar. Mississippi is looking for a
national rep. Shelby or Domonique might go.

Washington Seminar: The seminar was kind of disorganized, but the content
was good.

New Business

NABS Leadership Seminar: A committee was formed to plan the seminar.

CD project: A committee was formed to help.

National convention: Think of a fundraiser and interesting agenda items. An
agenda committee was formed. We will do Monte Carlo and another fundraiser.

--
Darian Smith

"To dream what is possible and to put oneself in service of that dream is the
formula
for a life well lived."

- Dr. Peter Benson