[Nh-north-country] Introduction

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Sat Jun 21 23:17:45 UTC 2014

Hi!
Glad to hear from both of you. Unfortunately there has been very little
activity in the North Country for several years now. Besides Gil, the only
somewhat active member remaining was Cami Quail. I was state president when
Gil hel0ped start the chapter, and it quickly grew to over a dozen active
members, total perhaps 20. They got a grant and the dozen went as a group to
the National Convention in Louisville, KY. On White Cane Day they held
public demonstrations in Littleton, showing safe street crossings with cane
and dog, and handing out papers with the White Cane Law on blind right of
way at crosswalks. When we had a National sponsored Children's Variety Show
they helped distribute tickets and sold cotton candy to the attendees,
benefitting the chapter. Then the oficers got very busy with other matters
and members slowly dropped out, died, or moved away.

With two people showing interest, perhaps you could be the nucleus for
starting a chapter revival? You would get help from the state and from
National.

I am forwarding my message to state board members, as well as my chapter
(Laconia area), and will try to send it to the National committee which is
trying to establish 75 new chapters and rejuvinate 75 weak chapters for our
75th anniversary next year.

If either of you can arrange for rides to the Lakes Region, I want to invite
you and companions to the Lakes Region Chapter annual picnic and games,
which will be followed by a state board meeting. It will be Saturday, July
19, iin Ellacoya State Park on State 11 in Gilford. We gather at 11 and eat
at noon. After lunch we have games created by our games master, Virginia
Dearborn. She is excellent at coming up with games that we can all
participate in. There are two picnic tables only 25 feet from the beach, and
100 feet from restrooms with showers.

After the games we will hold our state board meeting where plans for the
coming year will be made.

The chapter provides hot dogs and burgers. Members bring cold food and
drinks to share, and there is plenty for all. We do need a rough count of
attendees to know how much food to buy.

Best, Ed Meskys
edmeskys at roadrunner.com
322 Whittier Hwy, Moultonboro 03254-3627
253-6207

==