[Njabs-talk] Colorado Center for the Blind Annual Report

EVELYN E. VALDEZ tweetybaby19 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 17 02:25:22 UTC 2008

20 Years:  The past…the present…the future

The Colorado Center for the Blind has built a strong foundation in the vocational rehabilitation and training of blind individuals in our community.  We greatly appreciate the support of our friends, family and community partners.  As the year draws to an end we are making plans for a strong 2009.  Many of these plans can only be accomplished through the financial support we get from foundations and personal donations.

1988 to 2008 and Still Growing – Independence Training and Employment
In January 1988 our doors opened to five blind students who had dreams of living full lives but had no opportunities or training to live equally in our society.  We celebrated our twenty year anniversary looking back at the impact we’ve had on over 500 students.  Our programs provide skills training, employment services, literacy training and confidence building activities.  85% of our graduates have jobs.  They are working as business owners, program directors, software developers and teachers in addition to many other careers. They are looking past barriers and gaining skills for limitless possibilities and achievable goals.

High Expectations and New Hope for Blind Seniors
This summer we expanded our senior program to include a week long residential training program.  Six seniors ranging in age from 63-89 came together to learn more intensive blindness skills and gain full belief in the skills used by blind people. They challenged themselves to learn to use a white cane, go grocery shopping, prepare dinner, read Braille and continue to do everyday tasks they had stopped performing due to blindness.
“I’m entertaining again… I no longer fear cooking”
“I walked 2 miles to the Democratic National Convention with my long white cane, by myself”

Growing into Success – Youth Programs
Thirty blind youth developed and practiced all their skills of independence while they learned blindness is not a tragedy.  They earned money in summer jobs, went camping, played computer games, and wrote blogs.  The students who attended returned home with new friends, new confidence and new skills.

The Colorado Center for the Blind is alive and thriving.  We have taken on the challenge of serving blind people of all ages, providing skills, employment and independence.  In 2009 we plan to strategically grow our programs.
Continue to provide our senior program at no cost
Be the leader in the country for our employment and independence training program
Remodel our building to meet the ever growing needs of our expanded programs
Thank you for impacting the life of a blind person with your past support.  The Center needs continuous donations of funding, volunteer talent, or in-kind goods and supplies.  Take a look at our website for complete information on the Center programs at www.cocenter.org, donate now at www.givingfirst.org/cocenter send a check or try out our automatic monthly giving option. As we look forward we can meet the needs of the community through your faithful giving.  We keep our administration costs low so that your donation goes directly to helping those that need it the most.  Have a wonderful holiday season and thank you for supporting all of us at the Colorado Center for the Blind.

Sincerely,

Julie Deden, Executive Director