[Njabs-talk] Disney's New Device for Visually Impaired Visitors

Quintina M. Singleton qmsingleton at comcast.net
Mon Dec 7 00:16:28 UTC 2009

FYI

Disney's New Device For Visually Impaired Visitors

Disney has released a new technology feature that will help visually impaired park

visitors. On Disney's custom wireless hand-held devices that the park offers to individuals

with disabilities, there is a new feature: Audio Descriptions.

These Audio Descriptions provide a narrative of what is happening on a ride or in

a show for the visitor to hear while they are participating.

During the Haunted Mansion ride the Audio Description device says: "Our doom buggy

rotates and we face backward. To our left, a knight's armor guards an endless hallway.

On our right, wilted flower arrangements surround a coffin. An eerie light escapes

as bony hands push up the lid."

Currently the following attractions have the Audio Description feature:

- Disneyland Railroad

- Alice in Wonderland

- Peter Pan

- Pinocchio