[Njabs-talk] Southern Strums 2009, Updated

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 03:51:05 UTC 2009

From: tabs_students at googlegroups.com [mailto:tabs_students at googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Jose Martinez
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 3:58 PM
To: Members at nfb-texas.org; tabs_students at googlegroups.com
Subject: [TABS] updated Southern Strums Press Release

Hope to see all you Texans out supporting this years Southern Strums, it is
shaping up to be a great show! Monday July 6, six to ten pm.

For Immediate Release

Contact
Jose Martinez, Event Coordinator
The Texas Association of Blind Students
Phone: (210) 722-3597
E-Mail: jose.martinez07 at gmail.com

Southern Strums Pulls into the
Motor City

July 6, 2009

San Antonio, Texas - For five years the Texas Association of Blind Students
(TABS) has brought together some of the organization's finest musical
talents in the convenience of one exceptional performance.  In times past
the benefit concert has evolved into a tradition in the general flow of the
National Federation of the Blind's annual convention, and this year the
event is raising the bar, venturing out into the general public as the main
entertainment for one of Detroit's finest jazz restaurants.  Join TABS, in
collaboration with Seldom Blues, as they proudly present Southern Strums
2009.

In the chaotic landscape that is the vibrant annual convention of the
National Federation of the Blind one often wonders where the time will be
found to do it all.  Seasoned members and first time conventioneers are
always astounded by the sheer number of new people there are to meet, but
the benefit to this dynamic fundraiser is that these interactions can be
struck up and rekindled in the midst of a relaxing atmosphere serenaded by
some of the NFB's brightest performers.

"Southern Strums," says TABS president, Juan del Rosario, "is as much about
providing an evening of top notch entertainment as it is about raising funds
for educational projects benefiting blind students across the state of
Texas.  We work around the year to ensure our fellow students have equal
access to educational, employment and technological opportunities, and
Southern Strums is a good means of conveying our message in a wholesome
manner for everyone involved."

All Federationists are welcomed to Seldom Blues, conveniently located in the
Renaissance Center.  The show kicks off at 6:00 PM and runs until the lights
go out at 10:00 PM.  All guests are kindly asked to provide a donation of
five dollars to be a part of this special event to a TABS representative at
the registration table next to the restaurant entrance.  Come one, come all.
This will be an elegant evening you will not want to miss.

About Seldom Blues

400 Renaissance Ctr # 1
Detroit, MI 48243
WWW.SeldomBlues.com

Seldom Blues is Detroit's premier jazz restaurant and supper club.
Seldom Blues offers a unique downtown entertainment and dining experience.
The menu breathes excellence bringing new and inspired tastes to continental
cuisine. Located In the prestigious GM Renaissance Center, Seldom Blues
presents a breathtaking view of the Detroit River and Canadian skyline. From
a magnificent Sunday Brunch, to a signature lunch and dinner, we invite all
generations to impress dates, business clients, and guests of Detroit. Jazz
musicians amidst and delectable cuisine generates a remarkable and memorable
dining experience.

About the Texas Association of Blind Students

TABS is a membership organization devoted to the advancement of blind
students of all ages. Since its inception in 1990, TABS has worked on
multiple levels to encourage the equal participation of blind individuals in
all functions of society. Through instructional seminars, state and national
conventions, legislative action, social events, and literature, we strive to
promote independence and self-advocacy. The organization operates as a whole
under the principle that inside and outside the classroom blind students are
fully capable of leading normal productive lives. In order to reinforce this
belief, it is necessary to view the change within blind students themselves.
Thus, our ongoing objective is to work in conjunction with the National
Association of Blind Students (NABS) and to a larger extent with the
National Federation of the Blind (NFB) to build a sturdy foundation of
useful skills, solid confidence, and raw determination so that we may in
turn show the public that blindness is not the limitation it is thought to
be. In essence, the primary goal of TABS is to follow its parent
organizations in changing what it means to be blind.

###