[Njabs-talk] Sounding Board

Quintina M. Singleton qmsingleton at comcast.net
Sat Nov 28 18:32:25 UTC 2009

I received it as an attachment without any problem.  Not sure why you
didn't, but it's posted below.

  THE SOUNDING BOARD

Fall 2009

Katherine Gabry, Editor

Jerilyn Higgins, Co-editor

Published in print, by e-mail, on the Web and through Newsline by

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

www.nfbnj.org

Joseph Ruffalo, President

State Affiliate Office

254 Spruce Street

Bloomfield, NJ 07003

e-mail nfbnj at yahoo.com

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests,

letters to the editor and articles for The Sounding Board should be sent to
the

State Affiliate Office or e-mailed to specialk38 at aol.com. The editorial
staff reserves the right to edit all articles for space and/or clarity
considerations.

Please Note: The deadline for the Spring issue is March 1, 2010.

Sounding Board subscriptions cost the Federation about six dollars per year.
Members are invited and non-members are requested to cover the subscription
cost.  Donations should be made payable to the

and sent to the State Affiliate Office.

The Sounding Board has been printed by Budget Print of Bloomfield, NJ.

To subscribe via Newsline, please contact Bill Dougherty at 800-792-8322

*************************

If you or a friend would like to remember the National Federation of the
Blind

of New Jersey in your will, you can do so by employing the following
language:

"I give, devise and bequeath unto the National Federation of the Blind of
New Jersey, 254 Spruce Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003, a non-profit
corporation,

the sum of $__ (or "__ percent of my net estate" or "The following stocks
and bonds: __") to be used for its worthy purposes on behalf of blind
persons."

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Presidential Message
3

Legislative News
4

Resolutions Passed at 2009 NFB of NJ State Convention
4

What Goes Around Comes Around
8

My Life Has Changed Thanks to the National Convention
10

Carol Castellano Becomes National President
11

Slam'n Time in MD
12

LEAD Program Celebrates 10th Anniversary
14

LEAD Trip to Baltimore Inspires Teens
15

Make Do and Make It Work
16

How many children in America are not taught to read?
18

A Letter to President Obama: The Importance of Braille Literacy
18

Braille Awareness Day
20

Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest Set to Begin
20

The National Braille Challenge
21

New Name for LBH: The NJ State Talking Book and Braille Center
21

Student Honored by Trenton Thunder
22

The NFB PAC Plan
22

What Newsline Means to Me
23

KNFB Reader Mobile
23

College Scholarships Available
24

Braillers for the Blind Offers Free Brailler Repair
24

NFB of NJ Chapter News
25

NFB of NJ Programs, Associations & Division News
27

AccessTech Computer Training Classes
30

NFB of NJ Contact Information
31

*************************

PRESIDENTIAL MESSAGE

Greetings Fellow Federationists,

The 33rd annual State Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of
New Jersey was held November 6 - 8, 2009. Simply stated, it was a blast.
The Crowne Plaza in Clark was the site for this valuable weekend experience.
A record 310 conventioneers felt the spirit of the Federation and the CAN DO
attitude of motivation, inspiration and high expectations. Saturday's
activities were broadcast live at www.thruoureyes.org/jaws.html, which you
can still access to get a feel for the true convention experience.

Two new divisions were formally established: the Association of Guide Dog
Users and the Association of Technology Users.  Congratulations to Vincent
and Michele Chaney for their work in bringing these divisions to the
organization. The State Affiliate has also established an At-Large Chapter,
which allows involvement for members who cannot attend chapter meetings due
to work or school schedules, lack of transportation and/or the possibility
of no chapter near them. In just a few months, 32 new members are attending
our monthly conference calls.

We're also pleased to announce the election of Michele Chaney and Linda
DeBerardinis to our State Affiliate board.  Michele and Linda are both
active members who have contributed much time and effort and have shown
leadership to our membership. Look for their biographies in the next issue.

Important Upcoming Dates

·        Wednesday, December 2, at 8 p.m., Dr. Maurer will be interviewed in
a show entitled "Ask the President" on Thru Our Eyes. Check www.nfbnj.org
for information on how to listen and call in your questions.

·        Saturday, December 19 is our holiday party at the Crowne Plaza in
Clark. Contact me at 973-743-0075 for more information.

In this issue, you'll find articles written from the heart and the message
is clear: keep moving forward, and always with the spirit of the Federation
in mind. I hope you enjoy this issue, and please remember to pass it on to
others - family members, neighbors, teachers, whoever you can think of.
Spreading our message of positive attitudes is what we continue to do best.

With best wishes,

Joe Ruffalo

President

*************************

LEGISLATIVE NEWS

By Lynn Reynolds, Legislative Coordinator

The main focus for this year has been the two pending bills concerning the
quiet car legislation. The National Center has sent several alerts
requesting our assistance in contacting our Congressional Representatives to
urge them to co-sponsor both the House bill (HR 734) and the Senate bill (S
841). As of this writing, only seven of our congressmen have signed onto the
bill.  News articles state that several car manufacturers are looking into
putting something on their hybrid cars that would emit a sound.  The
manufacturers are realizing that this change is necessary not only for blind
people, but for everyone, but this needs to be nationally mandated so that
all manufacturers will have to move forward with it.

If you would like to be added to the legislative alert list, please e-mail
me with your contact information. I would like to thank all those who have
been making calls.  The more contacts we make, the more progress we will see
happening.

*************************
RESOLUTIONS PASSED AT 2009 NFB STATE CONVENTION
By Mary Jo Partyka

The NFB of NJ has taken a stand on the following issues, and resolutions
have been sent to our local legislators in New Jersey:

Resolution 2009-01

Regarding Silent Cars and the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act

WHEREAS, the blind rely on the sound made by motor vehicles to determine
when it is safe to cross streets and driveways, traverse parking lots and
otherwise be aware of when moving vehicles are present; and

WHEREAS, since 2003 the National Federation of the Blind has expressed deep
concerns about the safety of the blind and other pedestrians due to the
silencing of motor vehicles, particularly those hybrid and other electric
vehicles that use batteries instead of combustion engines; and

WHEREAS, since 2003 silent vehicles have proliferated and the collective
experience of the blind with them has heightened our concerns about their
threat to the blind and other pedestrians; and

WHEREAS, the increasing prevalence of silent vehicles will seriously affect
the ability of New Jersey's blind population to travel safely and
independently unless these vehicles are equipped with an appropriate level
of sound; and,

WHEREAS, on January 28, 2009, Congressmen Ed Towns of New York and Cliff
Stearns of Florida reintroduced the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act, HR
734 in the House of Representatives; and

WHEREAS, on April 21, 2009, Senators John Kerry of Massachusetts and Arlen
Specter of Pennsylvania introduced the companion bill S 841 in the United
States Senate: Now, therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED by the NFB of NJ in Convention assembled this 8th day of Nov.
2009, in the Township of Clark, NJ, that this organization strongly
encourage NJ's congressional delegation to sign on to the Pedestrian Safety
Act; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that we continue to urge NJ's congressional
delegation to confer with members of the NFB of NJ for guidance in this
matter.

Resolution 2009-02

Regarding Legislation for the Protection of Guide Dog Teams

WHEREAS, uncontrolled dogs that attack or interfere with guide dog teams are
a serious and widespread threat to the safety and welfare of blind citizens
of this state; and

WHEREAS, these incidents are in part attributable to the failure of owners
to confine and properly train and control their dogs; and

WHEREAS, when a guide dog is attacked or subjected to interference, the
blind person's travel is suddenly and severely restricted, often without any
warning; and either or both team members become instantly vulnerable to harm
by the uncontrolled dog, vehicular traffic or other environmental dangers,
since the blind traveler suddenly finds himself without orientation, and the
guide, who is bred and trained to be non-aggressive, is also restricted by
being harnessed and leashed; and

WHEREAS, the physical and psychological trauma from attacks and interference
can be costly in terms of injury, veterinary care, medical care, retraining,
replacement and loss of mobility for the blind handler; and

WHEREAS, the cost of the dog and services from a guide dog school can range
up to $50,000 per person/dog team; and

WHEREAS, existing laws at the local level do not address the problem of
uncontrolled dogs attacking guide dogs: Now, therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED by the NFB of NJ, in Convention assembled this 8th day of
Nov. 2009, in the Township  of Clark, NJ, that this organization call upon
our state legislators to pass legislation making it a criminal offense to
permit loose or uncontrolled dogs to attack or interfere with guide dog
teams and requiring restitution to the blind individual for veterinary and
medical expenses, lost wages, transportation, rehabilitation and other
expenses directly related to the temporary or permanent loss of the service
animal; and to the school where the guide dog was trained to cover the
expenses of replacement or retraining of the guide dog team.

Resolution 2009-03

Regarding Access to Talking Glucometers

WHEREAS, in today's market, certain health insurance plans dictate what
brand of diabetic equipment a member must use to stay compliant with their
treatment regimen, claiming that this strategy is utilized to control costs
to the plan and prevent healthcare premiums from rising; and

WHEREAS, today, most insurance companies contract strictly with one
manufacturer who provides only inaccessible, non-talking glucometers,
thereby presenting a serious obstacle to complying with their testing
regimen for the five million people with diabetes who are blind or visually
impaired; and

WHEREAS, the most effective way to stabilize diabetes is for a patient to
test his or her blood sugar frequently and take action on any blood sugar
that falls outside of medical guidelines; and

WHEREAS, because no accessible blood glucose monitors appear on current
medical insurance formulary lists, the visually impaired and blind are
forced to use blood glucose monitors designed for sighted patients; and

WHEREAS, when blind or visually impaired patients are forced to use
non-talking meters, they often do not test at all, thereby drastically
increasing their risk of complications, morbidity and mortality; and

WHEREAS, the only way a blind or visually impaired diabetic can acquire an
accessible blood glucose monitor is through a long and complicated process
of submitting extensive medical documentation, and approval is not
guaranteed; and

WHEREAS, the inaccessibility of blood glucose monitors on the formulary
lists creates a barrier to independence for the blind in choice, management
of health, and control of their diabetes, and hinders their quality of life:
Now, therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED by the NFB of NJ, in Convention assembled this 8th day of
Nov. 2009, in the township of Clark, NJ, that this organization call upon
our state legislators to speedily pass legislation that accomplishes the
following purposes: to make it a civil offense to sell inaccessible blood
glucose monitors to blind clients; to mandate all insurance companies to
have at least one fully accessible glucometer on their formulary list; and
to put into place fines or other penalties to ensure compliance with the
law.

RESOLUTION 2009-04
Regarding the Provision of Braille to Partially Sighted Students

WHEREAS, research has shown that partially sighted people who learn Braille
when they are young achieve literacy skills on a par with or above the level
of sighted peers, while those who learn only print do not; and

WHEREAS, research has also shown that Braille has a positive correlation
with employment; and

WHEREAS, the common practice is to teach only print to partially sighted
students, even those who are diagnosed as legally blind or who have
degenerative eye conditions; and

WHEREAS, many partially sighted students who are denied Braille struggle
with reading, experience discomfort and even pain when trying to read,
report disliking reading and never read for pleasure; and

WHEREAS, the decision to teach print instead of Braille is based not on
objective, standardized measures, but on personal opinion and seriously
flawed evaluation tools; and

WHEREAS, educators often rely on the eventual provision of recorded material
for partially sighted students when the print becomes too small to read,
even though research has shown that students cannot develop full literacy
skills using recorded materials; and

WHEREAS, virtually all teachers of Braille in the state of New Jersey are
itinerant teachers from the NJ Commission for the Blind and Visually
Impaired; and

WHEREAS, even though the IDEA expresses a presumption for the provision of
Braille, school systems throughout New Jersey continue to base their
decision on the recommendation of the Commission teacher: Now, therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED by the NFB of NJ, in Convention assembled this 8th day of
Nov. 2009, in the township of Clark, NJ, that this organization strongly
urge the NJ Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired to bring its
attitude and advice regarding Braille into line with current research which
demonstrates the vital importance of Braille in education, employment and a
full, productive life; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that we call upon the Commission to significantly
increase the number of partially sighted students who receive Braille
instruction, especially those whose parents have identified the need for
Braille; and to cease the practice of advising against the use of Braille
for partially sighted students.

*************************

WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

By Tara M. Carty

Editor's Note: Tara is a sophomore at Caldwell College majoring in English.
She hopes to one day write a novel, and perhaps write for a
newspaper/magazine.

I bet you're asking yourself, "Why did she give the article that title?"
Well, if you went to the NFB's National Convention in Detroit this year, it
will be our little joke.  For those who did not attend, let's just say that
you are "out of the loop" for the moment, but you will understand by the end
of the article.

By now you're probably wondering, "Who is this person anyway, and why is she
telling me about the convention?" My name is Tara Carty, and I am a new
member of the At-Large Chapter of the NFB of NJ. I was honored to be
selected as one of the NFB's 30 scholarship winners this year, and, on top
of that, it was my first convention. I am a rookie in every aspect of the
word, and I had no idea what to expect. As a winner of the scholarship, it
was mandatory for me to attend the convention. I applied for the scholarship
in March and knew that if I was chosen from hundreds of applicants, I would
be going to Detroit.

I have two goals for this article. The first is to convince those of you who
have never  been to the convention to go to Texas next year. Like they say,
everything in Texas is big, so let's make it the biggest convention ever,
okay?  The second goal is much more personal. I want to convey to all of you
the amazing spirit of the convention that I felt in Detroit. I met so many
wonderful people there, people who have touched my life and re-ignited my
energy and motivation. I was astonished to meet so many who were just like
me, and I'm not just talking about the blindness, either. Of course, that is
always present, but these were motivated, spirited individuals who share my
philosophies and demonstrate the same joy and enthusiasm for life that I
have.

Why were we there? In my case, the scholarship was number one, and curiosity
was number two. I wanted to know what the NFB was all about and go "behind
the scenes" of this important organization. What is all this talk about
silent cars and why is everyone making such a big deal about this Kindle
gadget? These were just some of the thoughts that crossed my mind before I
got on the plane.

You'll have to forgive me for skipping around a little, but I have to go
back to the title of the article. "What goes around comes around" is an old
English saying. People often refer to it when someone does something wrong,
but it can also be positive. If you do good, good will find you. I am a firm
believer in this, but the reason it applies so fittingly to the convention
is because the hotel in Detroit was designed in circles. There were circles
all over the place. Picture a triangle with two circles on the bottom and
one on top to form the triangle. There was another circle in the middle of
the three circles with bridges to get to all these different circles. Oh,
and don't forget that each circle had different levels! Is your head
spinning yet? It really was not as bad as it reads; you were fine once you
figured out that if you missed something the first time, you would
eventually go around the circle and find it.

The circle analogy is very appropriate for me. I am recently blinded, and I
felt that going to the convention by myself was representative of my
personal journey coming full circle. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of
circles to explore, but as far as my training and accepting my blindness are
concerned, I think Detroit was my finish line. For many of you, going on a
plane and navigating a gigantic hotel might not be a challenge, but for me,
never having traveled on a plane or being so independent was a life-altering
experience. I travel around here in New Jersey and live by myself in the
dorm at school, but I see Detroit as a major stepping stone. World, look
out, because here I come!

I encourage you to use the NFB as your stepping stone. Use it as your
support system of family, friends and colleagues, and also use it as a
platform to enrich the lives of other blind people. This is the reason we
were there. This is why I was roaming around in circles with my 2,999
closest new friends in Detroit. It is because we care about the future and
those who will follow us. I met an amazing 9-year-old boy named Bill at the
convention. He was the smartest little boy I've ever met, and he helped me
fix my computer. There is no doubt in my mind he is headed for greatness.
The instant I met him, I knew this is why the NFB does what it does. We do
it for Bill; we do it for all the children who are told they do not need to
learn Braille and those children who are told they can't because they are
blind. We do it to show others that we "can" and that we will not accept the
word "can't."

I have tried to convey to you what it was like to be at the convention as a
rookie, but being at the convention as a scholarship winner is another
aspect entirely. It was truly an honor to be in the scholarship class of
2009 or as we call ourselves, "'09, so fine."  The scholarship committee
mentored us and we gained a wealth of knowledge from it. Our states cheered
for us when we were announced, and the support and pride that we felt
surrounded us. We received our scholarships on stage and had the privilege
of shaking hands with Dr. Maurer and Dr. Kurzweil. We are a part of the
scholarship alumnae program and will always be a part of it. If you are a
college student or are going to be one, send in that application. Just do
it.

So, now you know why the article is called "What Goes Around Comes Around."
Everyone I talked to before the convention told me I would enjoy it. They
said it would be a life-changing experience. I didn't know what they were
talking about until I actually experienced it for myself. Please come and
experience it for yourself. I knew only a handful of people from New Jersey
chapters before the convention, and now I have met people from all over the
country, and even from other countries! The political, social and networking
opportunities are vast and priceless. I encourage you to attend the
convention next year. I'll be there. Come full circle with us and experience
the electricity of the NFB!

*************************
MY LIFE HAS CHANGED

THANKS TO THE NATIONAL CONVENTION

By Melissa Hurff

Editor's Note: A former LEAD student, Melissa is a sophomore at Glassboro
Community College. She attended the National Convention in Detroit with
partial funding from the Garden State Chapter and the Joe and Rose Ruffalo
Memorial Scholarship. In Detroit, she participated in the first College
Leadership Program, sponsored by the National Center. Her reflections are
powerful and meaningful.

I live in a world where I do not know the difference between 20/20 vision
and 20/400 vision.  However, what I do know is the difference between
reading print and reading Braille. When I started middle school, I
repeatedly asked my state agency to teach me Braille, but I wasn't
successful. They refused to teach me Braille because apparently I "have too
much vision." This situation continued throughout high school, which made me
very upset, but I never realized how much I truly needed Braille until I
attended the National Convention in July.

I cannot express the impact the National Convention had on me. I left home
not knowing what to expect, and returned home a more independent, motivated
blind individual, along with life-long memories and friendships. My major is
music therapy, so I decided to participate in the Braille music session at
the convention.  In this session, Braille music was discussed as a helpful
tool in reading music as a blind person. I asked how to go about learning
Braille music, and was told that I must know literary Braille in order to
learn Braille music. For that very moment, I realized a hopeless future. I
had finally found something to make music classes easier, something that
would help me to actually be on the same pace with everyone else, and most
of all, to hold my deepest passion in my hands and read like every other
musician, but failed because I did not know Braille.

A few other situations such as this occurred during the week. Toward the end
of convention there was an unforgettable morning. It was the morning that
turned a hopeless future into a brighter future for me. The words of many
touching speakers filled my ears with parallel situations to mine, yet
encouraging.  Some of them had the desire and urge to learn Braille, but
were not able to obtain lessons because they, too, apparently had too much
vision.  Others had lost their vision all at once, and decided to attend
training at an NFB center, where they learned Braille and other skills. No
matter what the situation, they all, at some point in their lives, realized
they needed Braille. It wasn't a question any more. It wasn't an option
anymore. It was a necessity, and in the end they all were fluent in Braille,
going on to do much bigger and better things with their lives.

As each speaker concluded his or her speech and stepped away from the
microphone, more and more tears flowed down my cheeks. It hit me. It was the
point in MY life now. I finally realized what had happened the past 19
years, what affected my whole life, what held me back from my full
potential. It was not the fact of being or feeling dumb, but rather the fact
of being and feeling illiterate. If I would have learned Braille when I was
young, I could have applied it at school, home and the outside world. I had
always been discouraged from reading for fun because who wants to read a
book when their eyes hurt every five minutes? Who wants to listen to books
on CDs their whole life? I don't. Thanks to each one of these speakers who
helped me realize the fact that recorded books can still make a person
illiterate because they are not seeing the material themselves. How will
they know how to spell the words they hear? They won't. These speakers put
my life into perspective by showing me what life could have been all these
years with Braille, and how I can go about obtaining what I want, which is
to learn Braille and be fully literate. After the speakers were through and
the session was dismissed, I cried in the arms of my old and new friends who
understood me and felt the same exact way.

I believe that the absence of Braille during my life limited my education
and held me back in every aspect. I want to be able to read to my children,
read my own menu at a restaurant, read for my own entertainment and so much
more. One day I know I will. I came home from convention determined to learn
Braille and started getting Braille lessons through my Garden State Chapter.
The National Convention was a life changing experience for me, and I wouldn't
trade it for the world. I gained exceptional information, lifelong lessons,
friendships and memories.

*************************
CAROL CASTELLANO BECOMES NATIONAL PRESIDENT

By Joe Ruffalo

POBC-NJ President Carol Castellano has long served as an officer in the
National Organization of Parents of Blind Children. This past spring, in an
unexpected turn of events, Carol became NOPBC President!  Included in her
new responsibilities is presiding over the week-long annual NOPBC Conference
at National Convention.  All reports indicate that the conference was a
great success.

Carol has now become a globe trotter, representing NOPBC and working on
behalf of blind children at the National Convention in Detroit, the State
Convention of the NFB of Iowa, the Children's Vision Summit in Missouri and
the Getting in Touch with Literacy Conference in California.  We are proud
and happy to have Carol spreading our positive message about blindness
throughout the land.

*************************
Slam'n time in md

Editor's Note: Twelve Jerseyans attended the NFB's Youth Slam event last
summer. Mentor Paul Grenier and student Melissa Lomax share their stories.

By Paul Grenier

This summer I was privileged to be a part of what is quickly becoming an
exciting NFB tradition.  I was a mentor for students at the NFB's Youth
Slam.  At Youth Slam, blind high school students from all over the country
get a chance to meet each other on a college campus and work with leading
scientific researchers and professionals to break the stereotype that blind
people can't do science.

When I was in high school, my chemistry teacher told me it was too dangerous
to do the experiments. Instead, he suggested that I stand in a corner and
watch from a distance. Not only did this exclude me from the class, but,
ironically, the teacher was suggesting that because I was blind, the best
way for me to learn was to use my eyes. Thankfully the New Jersey Commission
for the Blind and the NFB gave me the support I needed to challenge my
teacher and participate in the class. However, the class was still very
difficult because neither my teacher nor I had any experience adapting
scientific techniques to fit my blindness. How was I supposed to measure
fluid in a beaker? How was I supposed to map out coordinates on a chart? How
was I supposed to dissect a frog with a scalpel if I couldn't see? We
managed to work through some of these challenges, but it was hardly a
success story.

With the advent of the Youth Slam program, this scenario need never happen
again! The professors at Youth Slam knew a lot about science, and although
they didn't know a lot about blindness, we - the mentors - did. It was a
match made in Maryland. Blind adults worked with professional scientists to
develop top-notch programs that were educational and fun for the over 200
students that attended.

Blind students arrived from all over the country to get a taste of what they
could do provided the proper skills and techniques. During the week-long
program, students built and launched rockets, designed an environmentally
friendly house, worked with voice recognition software and artificial
intelligence, dissected sharks, explored space and helped to design and test
drive an experimental car for the blind.  My group spent most of our time
hardwiring sensors to weather balloons and performing atmospheric tests. As
a mentor, my main job was to supervise, but I couldn't help getting in on
the fun, and I learned more than I thought I ever would about science.

Not only was this program educational but there were plenty of social events
as well. We had dances, parties and an extreme events night where we all got
to participate in exciting activities like bungee jumping, rock climbing and
riding a mechanical bull! Through all the excitement and activity, many
strong friendships (and more than a few romances) were forged. The week's
events culminated in an independence march in Washington, D.C., where we
teamed up with other NFB supporters to march from the Lincoln Memorial all
the way to the Capitol Building to show that the organized blind can achieve
anything we want. Once at the Capitol Building, we heard speeches from
several important politicians and scientists, but the best part was
listening to the rocket launch that carried the bicentennial Louis Braille
coin into outer space!  At the end of the ceremony we all received official
patches from the mission.

It was a very exciting week. The experience of blind adults teaching blind
students how to do blind science taught me more about blindness, science and
myself than I thought possible in one week. Most importantly, the students
went home with a positive attitude towards their blindness and their ability
to achieve in science. The next time a teacher tries to tell one of them
that he or she can't participate in a science experiment because it's too
dangerous for a blind person, I hope that student can proudly say, "Slam
that! I've already done science at Youth Slam, and I can do it at home too!"

By Melissa Lomax

This summer, I attended the NFB Youth Slam for the second time. I was
assigned to an awesome group nicknamed the Paparazzi because we were the
only group assigned to the Slam News Video track, which allowed us to see
all the great things that the other students were doing. Riding a mechanical
bull, dissecting sharks, conducting investigations, driving a car . students
were trying new things, working together and proving that blind people can
do more than what is expected of us.

Additionally, I enjoyed seeing each track's finished product. I especially
loved the outcome of the Slam Robots track. Students spent the week
programming a robot to distinguish between white and black, avoid obstacles
and, ultimately, navigate its way on a pre-designed track. On the last day,
I interviewed a group as they tested out their robot for the first time.
Although I had a feeling that their hard work would pay off, I was still
shocked and very excited to see the robot moving along the track completely
on its own.

Aside from learning new things, the Youth Slam was a great place for meeting
people. In addition to catching up with old friends, I made new friends from
all over the country. I also received great advice from some of the Youth
Slam mentors. For instance, Mike May, a downhill skier, advised all Youth
Slam students to go above and beyond their limitations. Also, our very own
NFB president, Mark Maurer, offered some deep advice on kissing, "When you
decide to kiss somebody, you should do nothing else. You shouldn't try to
text while you're doing it, or you shouldn't smoke a cigar while you're
doing it, or try to figure out your income tax."

Youth Slam was a wonderful experience. I met new people, gained knowledge
and walked away with some great advice from mentors. Moreover, I learned how
to navigate a huge college campus, which definitely helped me become
acquainted with my university's campus. I would absolutely encourage any
high school student who is interested in attending the Youth Slam to take
advantage of this opportunity.

*************************
LEADERSHIP, EDUCATION, ADVOCACY and DETERMINATION

(LEAD) PROGRAM CELEBRATES 10TH ANNIVERSARY

By Eileen Goff

It was in December of 1999 that Heightened Independence and Progress began
to administer the LEAD Program on a statewide basis.  Prior to that, a
regional pilot program demonstrated that LEAD had the potential to be
recognized as a valuable program for New Jersey's high school students with
vision loss.  Since the onset, the NJ Commission for the Blind and Visually
Impaired has provided funding for LEAD, and the program has continued its
growth.

LEAD functions on a regional basis for many activities, and there are also
some statewide programs. LEAD participants generally attend activities in
the region in which they reside (North, Central, South.) Each year
approximately 50 students are enrolled in LEAD. A sampling of activities
includes computer technology training, employment and mobility skill
development, trips to theaters and other cultural events, visits to malls
and restaurants, self-defense training, social skill development and so much
more.  Overnight statewide events include a visit to the NFB National
Technology Center and for a few students who have demonstrated leadership
qualities, a trip to "The Hill" in Washington, D. C.

The six dynamic LEAD coordinators who work with each participant are what
really make the program the huge success that it is. Most coordinators have
been with LEAD since its kick-off, and others have joined the staff in more
recent years.  The quality of these true LEADers is exemplary! They are: Joe
Ruffalo, Jerilyn Higgins, Sherlock Washington, Ohmny Romero, Holly Westefeld
and Ryan Stevens. The coordinators are all excellent mentors and role models
for the young adults in the program. They are people with vision loss who
lead admirable, successful life styles. Additionally, there is a dedicated
core group of volunteers who assist with operations.

The program welcomes new students, whether they are just entering high
school, or decide to participate later.  Participants graduate from LEAD
upon graduation from their high school.

Those eligible to participate in LEAD are high school students who are on
grade level, demonstrate appropriate behavior and have vision loss. In most
situations, referrals come from staff of the NJCBVI. LEAD is a program of
Heightened Independence and Progress, and is not affiliated with any other
agency or organization. Contact Maria Valentin, LEAD Administrator, for
further information at 201-996-9100 or mvaltin.ber at hipcil.org. Heightened
Independence and Progress is a Center for Independent Living run by and for
people with disabilities. The central office is located in Hackensack.

*************************

LEAD TRIP TO BALTIMORE INSPIRES TEENS
Editor's Note: Heightened Independence and Progress administers the LEAD
program for New Jersey high school students who are blind or visually
impaired. The program is funded by the New Jersey Commission for the Blind
and Visually Impaired. Each year, the students, mentors and volunteers
travel to Baltimore to learn LEAD philosophy from leaders in the blindness
field at the NFB's National Center.

>From Alicia Ucciferri:
Of all the trips I've been on during my three years as a LEAD student, the
2009 Baltimore trip was, without a doubt, among my favorites. It inspired me
to make changes in my life that could be instrumental in my future. Because
I now understand more fully the objectives and philosophies of the National
Federation of the Blind, I am becoming more enthusiastic about being
involved in my blind community. I was also able to contrast the means by
which various blind college students are able to be successful, which helped
me to reflect more seriously on my own future as a college student. I am now
more acutely aware of the adjustments I will need to make to my current
methods of note-taking, reading, etc., and know to prepare accordingly. I am
still slightly intimidated by the prospect of living in a college
environment, but I now feel that, through LEAD and the NFB, I have been
blessed with a network of people who care about my success, and that feeling
alone gives me great comfort.  The trip helped me to realize that I am never
alone, and it opened new doors for me in the areas of communication and
preparation. From Shafeka Hashash:Thank you for giving me a weekend filled
with educational value. It was a great opportunity to learn about adulthood
through social and educational activities.  Marc Riccabono, Evelyn Valdez
and other students told us about their college and career experiences, and
these were 100 percent interactive sessions that included our questions,
comments and stories as well.

We also took a three-part tour of the National Center.  One part informed us
of Newsline, in another we went to the National Center's store that sells
equipment people can use at home, and lastly, we went to the technology
wing, which I found to be the most interesting. We learned about the new
BrailleNote Plus and advancements in scanners, cell phones and embossers, as
well as updates in Kurzweil technology.  We were also able to try out all
the equipment.

The adults running the Baltimore trip were enthusiastic, involved and shared
their own knowledge on the topics discussed. Their attitudes showed how much
they cared for all the students and loved what they did to teach blind
teenagers about the future.  This trip taught me valuable skills that I will
use in college - such as how to approach professors - and kept me
entertained, excited and waiting for more through each activity.

*************************

MAKE DO AND MAKE IT WORK

By Louis Scrivani

 I lost my sight when I was 24, just as I was starting a career as a
plumber/electrician. While on the job, I was hit by a truck. I had always
enjoyed working outside, working with my hands and using tools, but after
the accident I was very apprehensive about working with tools. My father
tried to get me interested and involved, but I was pretty indignant. Why
even bother to try? I simply assumed I would fail. In fact, it took me 15
years to give it a try. It was after I got married that I decided to get
back into woodworking. I selected a few small hand tools and used part of
the basement as my workshop.  I started small, with bird houses and a few
music boxes. With time and practice, I moved on to larger projects like a
bookshelf, printer stand and footstool. At last I was back in the swing of
things! In one respect, I felt fortunate because I had a visual memory of
how things look and how they are set up. A good visual memory also helps me
with safety issues and building. But there are other blind woodworkers who
never had any sight. I am amazed by those who never saw and do it as well as
I do, if not better. It's not so much a competition, but has become more of
a therapy for me. I love doing the work, and it keeps me busy. It's a
"self-challenge."  If you ask my wife, however, it's the exact opposite.
When I mess up, she hears my yelling and swearing. My dog doesn't like it
either because he thinks he's in trouble and runs for cover. My wife, on the
other hand, has learned to ignore my outbursts. I have trouble understanding
how my wife, who is also blind and an avid knitter, seems to stay calm when
she makes mistakes. She just redoes the work.  I suppose wood is very
different from yarn. With wood, you can't just rip it out and start over;
you have to get it right, change the plan or scrap the wood.Woodworking is
possible and doable for a person who is totally blind, but there are certain
challenges and adaptations that have to be considered. Tools used in
woodworking can sometimes be a bit restrictive, but I try to adapt those
products so that they can be used without sight. I guess I'm a problem
solver at heart. Some of the steps, like staining in the finishing of a
project, might require a sighted family member or friend to give it a once
over. I have done my own staining, and sometimes I get it right, while other
times I either miss a spot or go at it to aggressively.  As a blind
woodworker, I have to make extra jigs, or special guides, to accomplish jobs
such as cutting or drilling wood. But, hey, those are things that fully
sighted woodworkers do for themselves as well.  Really though, a major
difference is safety. The old saying is "measure twice, cut once." This is
especially true when you're blind. I measure twice, and then check, and then
check again to be sure that my hands are clear from the blade. Safety is so
important. I have established certain rules for myself, like if I'm feeling
sleepy or under the weather, then I won't let myself go near the shop. My
energy level starts to run low around three in the afternoon, so that's my
quitting time. Like any smart woodworker, I also use a safety mask and am
aware of what I am wearing when I go to my shop - no long sleeves or
jewelry.  Hearing what's going on is important to me, so I don't use
protective ear plugs, and this is one of the really big differences between
blind and sighted woodworkers. I use an audio feedback level that emits a
different sound for each state of the level: high, right on or low. I also
use a talking tape measure. Although it measures to one sixteenth of an
inch, it is good, but not great. There are other measuring devices like
tactile rulers and yard sticks, but I prefer the talking output. Another
device I use for more exact measuring is the Rotomatic, which is available
from the NFB. The Rotomatic is a three-eighths inch threaded rod, with
markings at every half inch. It has two nuts, and every turn of the nut
equals one-eighth inch, one quarter turn of the nut is one sixty-fourth
inch, and so on.  I also use the click rule, which is similar to the
Rotomatic, but it's contained in a tube, and when you slide out the rod,
each clicking sound is one-sixteenth inch.Not every blind woodworker does
everything exactly the same. You have to find what works best for you and
what makes the most sense.  Also, I would advise anyone interested in
woodworking to take lessons before using any tools or attempting any
projects, as tools can be dangerous and cause major injuries. Larry Martin,
of Woodworking for the Blind, volunteers his time to bring visually impaired
woodworkers up to date. He narrates magazines such as Fine Woodworking,
Woodwork, Woodsmith, Woodworking, American Woodworker and Woodcraft and
records them onto CDs, which he then mails to members of this blind
woodworkers group. In addition, he has put together a blind woodworkers
manual, which is also available on CD. For more information, contact him at
woodworkingfortheblind at comcast.net.Remember: When things get tough, don't
quit.  Try to find a way to make things work for you and make modifications
where you can.  If you have suggestions or input, please contact me at
lscrivani at verizon.net.

*************************

HOW MANY CHILDREN IN AMERICA ARE NOT TAUGHT TO READ?

By Marc Maurer, President, National Federation of the Blind

The answer is 90 percent if the children are blind.  Most Americans are
shocked to hear this statistic.  And we should be.  The blind read and write
using Braille, so why is our educational system failing to teach Braille to
so many children?  Why are these children being denied the opportunities
that come with a proper education?  What if you could not read and write?
Where would you be today?

There are three primary reasons for this educational crisis: (1) there are
not enough Braille teachers; (2) some teachers of blind children have not
received enough training; and (3) many educators do not think Braille
instruction is even necessary.

To bring critically-needed attention to this educational crisis, the United
States Congress authorized the minting of the 2009 Louis Braille
Bicentennial Silver Dollar with a portion of the sale of each coin going
toward a revolutionary and comprehensive Braille literacy campaign.

Learning to read and write is fundamental to education, which in turn is
paramount to full and equal participation in American society.  This coin,
the first U.S. coin to have proper tactile Braille, symbolizes independence,
opportunity and the potential of blind people to make significant
contributions to society when they are taught to read and write using
Braille. To learn more, read our report The Braille Literacy Crisis in
America, or watch our video Making Change with a Dollar. Please purchase
this unique and beautiful coin now and help solve this educational crisis
for blind children in America.

The law authorizing this 2009 silver dollar requires that any coins not sold
by midnight on December 11, 2009, be melted down.  Time is of the essence -
a 90 percent illiteracy rate is not acceptable and the opportunity to
purchase this coin will soon be gone.  Be part of the solution.  Give the
gift of literacy.  Create new opportunities.  Buy the Louis Braille
Bicentennial Silver Dollar today.

Editor's Note: The Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar is available
only until Dec. 11, 2009. To order, go to Braille.org and follow the links
to the U.S. Mint.

 *************************
A LETTER TO PRESIDENT OBAMA:

THE IMPORTANCE OF BRAILLE LITERACY

By Hamlet Diaz

Editor's Note: Hamlet is a junior at North Bergen High School where he is
Student Council Secretary. His letter to President Obama, in part, follows.

I would like to make you aware that there is a Braille literacy crisis in
America. Ninety percent of blind children in America are not being taught to
read or write in Braille. There are three reasons why this crisis is
happening. First, there are not enough Braille teachers. Second, some
teachers of the blind have not received enough training to know how to teach
Braille, and third, many educators don't think that Braille instruction is
necessary.

My friends and I were shocked to learn that only 10 percent of blind
children in America can read and write in Braille. This is unacceptable. I
would like to tell you more about myself and my feelings about Braille.

I was born in the Dominican Republic. I was born legally blind. I can see
lights, people and shadows. I went to school in the Dominican Republic, but
they didn't have materials for blind people, so in 2003, I came to live with
my grandmother and my uncle in the United States. My aunt is my guardian. I
was 10 years old, and it was very hard for me to separate from my parents. I
remember crying a lot on the way to the airport. I reminded myself that I
was going to America to study, and that I would not let my parents'
sacrifice be in vain. It took me three years to learn to speak English and
to read and write in Braille. Now I am 16 years old and I am a junior in
high school.

There are people who believe that Braille instruction is not important. I
believe that this is wrong because even though there are electronic devices
that read to you, blind children need to use Braille to read our textbooks
and understand what the teacher is talking about. Also, if blind children
just listen to a recorder, then they will not learn how to spell. Even if
some children are legally blind, it is better for them to use Braille than
to use their vision because they will be able to write and read faster in
Braille. If they use the little vision that they have, it will take them a
long time to read and write, and their eyes will hurt because they are
forcing their eyesight.

Last year during the anniversary celebration of Louis Braille's birth, I
read, in front of an audience, part of a proclamation that NJ's Governor Jon
Corzine wrote. If I hadn't known Braille, I would have had to ask somebody
to read me my part over and over again until I memorized it. Instead, when
it was my turn to read, I just stood up, took my Braille copy and started
reading. There are two advantages to that. First, I didn't have to memorize
the lines, and second, when I was reading the Braille copy, I was looking at
the audience because all I had to do was to stand straight and use my
fingers to read.

Eighty-five percent of blind people who know how to read and write in
Braille are employed today. I would like you to tell the American people why
Braille is important to blind children. Also, please encourage more teachers
of the blind to get additional training so that they can start teaching
Braille. More importantly, you should provide more funding to each state so
that teachers can receive enough training so that they can start teaching
Braille. I hope that you do this because I would like to see the number of
blind children learning Braille increase.

 *************************
BRAILLE AWARENESS DAY

By Mary Jo Partyka

On October 24, approximately 35 people gathered at the Grace Lutheran Church
in Perth Amboy to celebrate Braille Awareness Day. The purpose of the day
was to highlight the importance of Braille and how it increases peoples'
opportunities for literacy in education, employment and daily living skills.
In addition to lively music, participants had the opportunity to do a craft
involving Braille, played games where they had to read Braille to win a
prize, and heard testimonials from people who learned Braille and how it
helped them in their lives. We also raffled off a Louis Braille
Commemorative Coin and garden tools. In addition to sandwiches, we had
cupcakes decorated with the letters b, r and l and many other delicious
desserts. Several parents of blind children attended and discussed the
struggles they are having so that their children can learn Braille.

I hope you will consider participating in similar events when we have them
in the future.

 *************************
BRAILLE READERS ARE LEADERS CONTEST SET TO BEGIN

Editor's Note: The NFB of NJ is running our own contest in conjunction with
the NFB program. All New Jersey Braille readers who participate in the
program will be entered into a drawing for a Louis Braille coin. There will
be one winner in K-12, and one winner in the adult division. So register
now, and start reading!

Braille readers from all over the country are signing up for the Braille
Readers Are Leaders contest. Don't be left behind! Sign up today for either
the K-12 or adult contest.

Dates to Remember

·        Register by November 1 to get a Braille Readers Are Leaders T-shirt

·        Contest reading period: November 1, 2009-January 4, 2010

·        Reading logs and entry forms are due January 22, 2010

Don't forget that you can form a Braille Readers Are Leaders team with your
friends to be eligible for an additional prize. For more information, visit
www.nfb.org/bral  or contact Natalie Shaheen by phone at 410-659-9314, ext.
2293 or by e-mail at nshaheen at nfb.org.

 *************************

THE NATIONAL BRAILLE CHALLENGE
By Kathy Gabry

Congratulations to 8-year-old Mihir Doshi, from Somerset County, who
qualified to enter the Ninth Annual National Braille Challenge in Los
Angeles last June. Mihir competed with 60 other blind or visually impaired
kids from around the country in this academic competition.

For the past nine years, the Braille Institute has organized the Braille
Challenge to encourage blind kids to study Braille. The organization works
with teachers and agencies in the U.S. and Canada to encourage their
students to participate in a regional Braille Challenge event. The top
students in each regional competition advance to the National Challenge in
Los Angeles. Sponsors of the Braille Challenge include Perkins School for
the Blind, Freedom Scientific, the National Federation of the Blind,
Seedlings Braille Books for Children, National Braille Press, City National
Bank and Independent Living Aids, LLC.

The registration period for the 2010 contest is November 2 - December 18,
2009. For more information and to see how to sign up for a regional
challenge, log on to http://brailleinstitute.org and click on the Braille
Challenge.

 *************************
NEW NAME FOR LBH:

 THE NJ STATE TALKING BOOK AND BRAILLE CENTER

By Anne McArthur

This year the New Jersey Library for the Blind and Handicapped will enter
into a dramatic improvement in its services with the transition to digital
books, magazines and players. The library believes that now is also the
appropriate time to integrate another key change: On July 1, 2009, the New
Jersey Library for the Blind and Handicapped officially changed its name to
the New Jersey State Library Talking Book and Braille Center. The new name
defines the library's main materials, rather than the disabilities that make
customers eligible.

The library is proud to continue to serve those who are blind or visually
impaired. The name change will promote greater awareness among people with
physical or mobility impairments and learning disabilities who may not be
aware of their eligibility for our services. The change in our name better
reflects the services that the library offers all New Jerseyans with print
disabilities, while continuing the library's mission of promoting literacy
for all.

 *************************

student honored by trenton thunder

By Nancy Dowd, Press Officer at the NJ State Library

 Sixteen-year old Shafeka Hashash of New Milford was one of six people
honored at "Covering the Bases, a Night Out with the Trenton Thunder."
Hosted by the New Jersey Department of Human Services' Commission for the
Blind and Visually Impaired and the Trenton Thunder Baseball Team, the event
promoted full community inclusion and awareness of the potential and
achievements of individuals who are blind and visually impaired. Miss
Hashash was nominated by the New Jersey State Library Talking Book and
Braille Center to receive the certificate of recognition at the event.

Miss Hashash is the first blind student accepted at Bergen County Academy,
where she is studying for an International Baccalaureate. She has been an
active member of the National Federation of the Blind since second grade.
She spoke in Washington on behalf of blind children on the issue of "no
child left behind," and has spoken to congressmen in Washington about quiet
hybrid cars, funding for digitalizing Braille books and other aspects of
quality of life for the blind student. She is also an accomplished pianist
and artist.

 *************************
THE NFB PAC PLAN

By Ryan Stevens

The Preauthorized Contribution Program (PAC) is one of the major fundraisers
for the National Federation of the Blind. It is the program through which we
can make easy, monthly donations to our national treasury, and it brings in
about $360,000 a year to the organization. These general funds go to support
our scholarship program, our legal advocacy, our public education campaigns
and more.  A person can give as little as $5 a month to the program. All we
need is your bank's name, bank account number and the bank's national
routing number.  Your bank can give you all of this information with one
simple phone call, or you can send a voided check, which also has all the
information we need. We can also take contributions from a savings account
as long as the account permits external withdrawals and you provide your
bank's name, your account number and the bank's routing number.

PAC is not only for individuals.  Any of New Jersey's chapters or divisions
can get on the plan or increase their monthly contributions as well.

If you would like to start or increase your contribution to PAC, please send
me an e-mail with your home address, and you will receive an application
from me.

*************************

WHAT NEWSLINE MEANS TO ME

By Hamlet Diaz

Editor's Note: With the confidence he has gained through the LEAD program,
Hamlet, a high school junior, decided to run for Student Council Secretary
in spring 2009. Our congrats to Hamlet ... he won the election!

One day, my Braille teacher, Debbie Bloomer, told me that there is a service
for the blind called NewsLine. She demonstrated the service to me by using
her cell phone, and I heard the voice in the cell phone talking about Barack
Obama's pastor. I was interested in using this service, so we called Bill
Dougherty at the NJ Library, who said that the library would send me a
letter with my password and a local phone number so I could start using the
service.

Last summer, they sent me the letter and the information, but I thought,
"Why am I going to use this service if I can read the newspapers on the
Internet?" So I never checked my password or used the service.

And then, suddenly, everything changed. On Nov. 7, 2008, I went to the NFB
of NJ State Convention, and I saw a demonstration of NewsLine. On Nov. 8,
2008, I told Ms. Bloomer that I had changed my mind: I wanted to use that
service.

NewsLine lets me know what is happening in the world every day, especially
in politics. NewsLine also allows me to read magazines. My favorite magazine
is The New Yorker, where I enjoy the columns "Shouts and Murmurs" and
"Fiction." No matter what stress you have, you will laugh by listening to
the articles in these two sections. Thanks to NewsLine, I have a favorite
columnist:  Karl Rove (the former senior adviser and deputy chief of staff
to former President George W. Bush).

I would like to thank NFB for providing this cool service to blind
individuals, and I hope that the NFB continues to inspire many people just
like me.

*************************
KNFB READER MOBILE
Submitted by Jerilyn Higgins, from the knfbReader datasheet

The knfbReader Mobile is a major advancement in portability and
functionality of print access for people who are blind or visually impaired.
Developed under the direction of assistive technology pioneer Ray Kurzweil,
the knfbReader Mobile software package runs on a multifunction cell phone
and allows the user to snap a picture of virtually any document, including
mail, receipts, handouts and memos. The document analysis technology
determines the words and reads them aloud to the user, thereby providing a
truly portable solution to reading on the go. For more information, contact
knfb Reading Technology, Inc. by phone at 877-547-1500 or on the Web at www.
knfbReading.com.
*************************
college Scholarships Available

The National Federation of the Blind has announced that applications are now
being accepted for the 2010 National Federation of the Blind Scholarship
Program. Thirty scholarships totaling $100,000 will be awarded to blind
students from the United States and Puerto Rico. The scholarships are
available to blind students who will be enrolled in college or a graduate
program beginning in the fall of 2010, including incoming freshmen.
Scholarships range in value from $3,000 to $12,000. By applying for a
national scholarship, you are also automatically considered for an NFB of NJ
scholarship.

Information on the NFB scholarship program is posted online at
www.nfb.org/scholarships. The deadline for applications is March 31, 2010.
Questions may be directed to NFB Scholarship Committee Chairman Mr. Anil
Lewis by e-mail at Scholarships at nfb.org, or by phone at 410-659-9314, ext.
2415.

*************************

BRAILLERS FOR THE BLIND OFFERS FREE BRAILLER REPAIR

By Chuck Phelan

Braillers for the Blind Volunteer Repair Service provides an inexpensive
repair service to Perkins Brailler owners. The volunteers, all retirees who
formerly worked in technical pursuits, repair with either new or used parts,
as available, and the service is free except that they request reimbursement
for their cost of any new parts that must be installed in Braillers they
repair. All machines are logged by serial number to ensure the return of
each machine to its proper owner.

The group provides pick up and delivery in a 25-mile radius of Millington,
NJ. Owners can also ship a unit for repair, carefully packed in a box (not
its carrying case), insured with the U.S. Postal Service, and with the
legend "Free Matter for the Blind" in the upper right corner of the package
address side. Please note that the U.S. Postal Service will charge a fee for
the insurance. A card with the owner's name, address and other contact
information should be included in the package, along with a statement
describing the nature of the problem.

The Braillers for the Blind Volunteer Repair Service also accepts donations
of used or damaged machines that can be used for spare parts. For further
information, please contact Chuck Phelan at 908-647-9226 or 908-229-0041 or
via e-mail at fixnbraillers at juno.com.

*************************

*************************
NFB OF NJ CHAPTER NEWS

Editor's Note: Contact and meeting information for all Chapters, Programs,
Associations and Divisions are located on pages 31-32 of this issue.

CAPITAL CHAPTER, by Mary Jo Partyka, President

Since the last issue of The Sounding Board, the Capital Chapter had its
annual picnic and conducted its Meet the Blind Month activity at the Fall
Festival of the New Jersey State Library Talking Book and Braille Center.
Our Chapter gained several members as a result of the state membership
drive, and we are lucky to have them, as well as our members who have been
in the Chapter for some time. Come and join us at our meetings. We would
like to see new members from the Mercer County area at our meetings.

CENTRAL JERSEY CHAPTER, by Jerilyn Higgins, President

In October, we worked at the Braille awareness event sponsored by the NFB of
NJ's Division to Promote the Use of Braille. We were also the host chapter
for our State Convention this year, and we sponsored an awesome Talent Show.
On December 19 we will be attending the joint NFB holiday party at the
Crowne Plaza Hotel. Please come out and join us in changing what it means to
be blind!

CUMBERLAND/SALEM CHAPTER, by Anna Jordan

Since the last issue of The Sounding Board, our chapter participated in a
community day activity at the Cumberland County Mall. Our chapter had a
booth where we displayed and demonstrated the Perkins Brailler, slate and
stylus, the color identifier and other adaptive equipment. We also handed
out a lot of literature concerning the blind. On October 3, four of our
chapter members went to the Talking Book and Braille Center in Trenton. We
are also pleased to announce that we have two new members: Eunice Spells and
Eddie Stagges. We're also working diligently on our At-Large Chapter list.

GARDEN STATE CHAPTER, by Ed Godfrey, President

We're pleased to announce that eight new members have joined our chapter,
and that six of our members attended the National Convention in Detroit this
July.

The release of the Louis Braille Commemorative Coin last spring prompted our
chapter to take part in a roll-out event April 26 at Barnes & Noble in
Cherry Hill. Adding to our display of information, we had the Louis Braille
coin to show all who came near our table. We are pleased to report many of
our members have already purchased their coins.

We held our annual picnic in September. This was our best picnic ever, due
to our new members infecting the old with their excitement! There were 34
members and guests in attendance.

Unfortunately the weather wasn't very cooperative for our Meet the Blind
Month activities at the WalMart in Cinnaminson in October. We were rained
out on the 18th, but on the 25th we were successful. We distributed
literature, promoted the Louis Braille coin, and gave out alphabet cards.
One of our members Brailled people's names to take home with them.

Our president, Ed Godfrey, continues to instruct Melissa Hurff in Braille.
This will help her with potential employment in the future. Ed also attended
Representative Robert Andrews's family picnic where he had the opportunity
to talk with Congressman Andrews about legislation pertaining to the blind
and encouraged him to co-sponsor House bill HR 734, regarding the quiet car
legislation.

NORTHEAST CHAPTER, by Debbie Azzarone

The Northeast Chapter recently observed Meet the Blind Month by sharing the
experiences and challenges that our recording secretary, Jessica Scannell,
faces as a student at Montclair State, as well as all she has overcome since
birth as a blind person. This event was held at the Rutherford Senior
Center. Jessica was joined by our chapter president, Dan Facchini and our
state president, Joe Ruffalo. Information about adaptive technology and
simple tips and tricks for everyday living were distributed and gratefully
received.

WTOE Radio, our chapter's web radio show, is happy to announce that it
received another Imagination Fund grant this year, and we will continue to
broadcast shows every Wednesday evening at 8 p.m. EST. Listen live at
www.thruoureyes.org .

We have only one more meeting left for this year. Our December meeting will
be a holiday party for the chapter, and we're looking forward to it! During
December, we're also planning our second annual gift wrapping fund raiser at
a local Barnes & Noble book store. This is a fun and effective way to meet
people and spread the word about the NFB.

NORTHERN CHAPTER, by Rick Fox

The Northern Chapter is pleased to announce that we have a new meeting
place, within an easy walk, bus or Newark Light Rail ride from Newark's Penn
Station or Broad Street Station. We still meet on the third Saturday of the
month from 10 a.m. to noon, but our meeting place is now the Special
Services Room (3rd Floor) at the Newark Free Public Library, 5 Washington
Place. We hope this more accessible location makes it possible for more
people to participate in chapter activities.

 *************************
NFB OF NJ PROGRAMS, ASSOCIATIONS & DIVISION NEWS

ADOPT ADAPTIVE EQUIPMENT, by Lynn Reynolds

We've received some items that are ready for donation: two tabletop
magnifiers, one rolling magnifier, a CCTV and a desktop computer.

  If you are interested in donating any equipment or are in need of a piece
of equipment, please notify Ed Godfrey or me.  Please keep in mind that a
piece of equipment may need to be repaired, but the cost of repair is
usually less than purchasing a new one.  Also keep in mind that once a match
is made, it is up to the two parties to set up the transfer of the item.

ASSOCIATION OF BLIND MERCHANTS, by Lynn Reynolds

As I have stated in my reports in the past, those of us in the
Randolph-Sheppard Program are facing many changes and challenges. Besides
Congress wanting to change our program, we are facing drastic cutbacks in
the post offices in our state and around the country. Mail has decreased due
to the increased use of e-mail and online bill paying, so the post office
will be cutting back on its number of employees. Also the state office
buildings are losing positions, and this affects the traffic at those
locations. As a group, we need to think about how to keep our program going.
We will be working with the NJ Commission for the Blind to develop
strategies.

On May 20 - 22, 2009, several of our members went to Washington to meet with
our members of Congress to promote our program. We were able to meet with
two of our representatives, along with aides from the other offices. We need
to stress the importance of this program and to keep this program going, as
it provides opportunities for blind people to have the chance to run their
own businesses.

Our goals are to work with the state and federal governments to keep our
program intact. If anyone is interested in becoming a manager of their own
business and would like more information on training, etc., please feel free
to contact me, Nicky Gacos, Jack Truehaft, Dan Facchini or Anna De Santis.

ASSOCIATION OF GUIDE DOG USERS, by Vincent Chaney

You may hear the clicks of the paws of our dog guide partners as we stride
by you. We are the NJ Association of Guide Dog Users, now up and running as
a division with the submission and approval of the NFB of NJ Guide Dog
Protection Resolution and established goals for the group.

Do you know anyone who would like to join us? Please pass this information
on to them. We are advocates for the guide dog user community and will work
to inform public places of the legal rights of those who use service dogs.

We're also creating a network to support each other. When questions come up
about working with your guide dog and you're not sure where to turn, our
team will be there to help you out. If you have an interest in joining us,
if you're considering working with a guide dog and have questions, or would
like to help, please contact us.

division to promote the use of braille, by Mary Jo Partyka

Since the last issue of The Sounding Board, the New Jersey Association to
Promote the Use of Braille (NJAPUB) was preparing for the Braille Awareness
Day celebration which took place on October 24, 2009 at the Grace Lutheran
Church in Perth Amboy. The purpose of this event was to make people more
aware of the importance of Braille in the lives of blind people. You can
read more about this event elsewhere in this magazine.

The NJAPUB also purchased three Braille is Beautiful kits which were sent to
Elizabeth Morgan, Shafeka Hashash and Isabel Rodriguez who will use them to
start Braille clubs in their high schools. This is a new venture for the
division and we are excited about it.

If there is anyone interested in learning or teaching Braille, please
contact me, and I will do my best to put a team together so that one more
person can learn Braille.

In my role as the State Coordinator of the Louis Braille Commemorative Coin,
I am encouraging all Chapters and Divisions and members to stress the need
to purchase coins now. No more coins will be available after December 11,
2009. It is also important that members make presentations to Lions Clubs
and other civic organizations to encourage them to buy coins. We still have
to sell 200,000 more coins to meet our goal of selling 400,000 coins. The
best way for a person to purchase a Braille coin is to go on Braille.org
which will link people directly to the U. S. Mint. They can either call the
Mint or order online but they have to do it with a credit card if they are
calling over the phone. They can send a check if they want to but have to
include how many of each coin they want, their name and address and the
amount of payment. It is better to order as many coins as possible at one
time because there is a one-time shipping cost.

POBC-NJ, by Carol Castellano, President

Greetings, fellow Federationists.  We hope that everyone had a restful and
fun-filled summer and that we are all filled with renewed energy as we enter
the fall and winter seasons ahead. POBC-NJ has had another busy season of
assisting families and teachers. As you know, we provide support,
information, referrals, training and advocacy to families and teachers of
blind/visually impaired children.  We offer our newsletter In Touch and the
Blind Children's Resource Center website, along with phone, e-mail and
in-person support, and meetings and events for families and teachers.  Our
next seminar will take place in spring 2010.

This year, we've provided information to hundreds of parents, grandparents,
students, teachers, school administrators, social workers, nurses, special
needs financial planners, disability service providers, attorneys,
television producers and newspaper reporters from New Jersey, seven other
states, Canada and Argentina!  Our members continue to represent the
interests of blind children on boards and councils throughout the state.

TECHNOLOGY DIVISION, by Michele Chaney, President

The Technology Committee became the Technology Division at the State
Convention. Our constitution states that all should have the opportunity for
technology, and our goals are to have classes, demonstrations of devices,
tutorials and a private list serve. Our Board includes President Michele
Chaney, Vice President Vincent Chaney, Treasurer Anna DeSantis, Recording
Secretary Mary Jo Partyka, Corresponding Secretary Lynn Reynolds, and Board
Members Ryan Stevens, Ed Godfrey and Evelyn Valdez.

Our conference call in January will focus on how to keep our computers
healthy. Each conference call will also provide technological updates.

If you're interested in joining the Technology Division, please contact me.
If you decide to e-mail me, write "Technology Division Join" in the subject
area, and in the body of the e-mail, please include your full name, address,
phone number and e-mail address.

*************************

Get connecteD!

AccessTech

COMPUTER TRAINING CLASSES AVAILABLE

FOR BLIND and LOW VISION NJ Residents

Did you know that you can learn to use a computer even if you are blind or
visually impaired? AccessTech classes are fun and free-of-charge. Little or
no computer experience is needed!

Learn to:

·       Send and receive e-mail

·       Surf the Web

·       Play easy-to-use games on the Internet

Learn to USE:

·       The latest assistive technology hardware and/or software

·       Screen readers, such as JAWS For Windows

·       Screen magnifiers, such as ZoomText

SPONSORED BY:

The New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired

LOCATIONS:

Statewide at public libraries and other community facilities; inquire for
current sites and counties served.

Enroll: Contact 877/447-6500 ext. 227, or info at 4dewitt.com

NFB OF NJ CONTACT INFORMATION

NFB National Center

  President

     Marc Maurer             410-659-9314

NFB State Affiliate

  President

     Joseph Ruffalo          973-743-0075

  First Vice President

     Jerilyn Higgins           973-239-8874

  Second Vice President

     Mary Jo Partyka        609-888-5459

  Secretary

     Quintina Singleton     732-428-4932

  Treasurer

     Tom Ferry                973-694-5922

  Board Members

     Evelyn Valdez           908-206-8701

     Dan Facchini             201-906-8655

     Lynn Reynolds          908-251-5510

    Ryan Stevens            856-858-3518

     Linda DeBerardinis    856-764-7014

     Michele Chaney         732-251-8650

NFB of NJ Chapters, Meeting Info and President's Contact Info

Capital Chapter

3rd Sat., Lawrence Library, 2751 Brunswick Pike, Lawrenceville,

10 a.m.

Mary Jo Partyka          609-888-5459

                        choirnfb at gmail.com

Central Jersey Chapter

2nd Sat., Grace Lutheran Church, Perth Amboy, 9:30 a.m. - noon

Jerilyn Higgins             973-239-8874

                          jdhiggins at rcn.com

Cumberland/Salem Chapter

3rd Mon., Tri-County Independent Living Center, Millville, 10:30 a.m.

Anna Jordan                856-696-3905

                    ajjordan29 at verizon.net

Garden State Chapter

  3rd Sat., Kennedy Memorial Hospital,

Cherry Hill, 10 a.m.

  Ed Godfrey                 856-906-4516

                  egodfrey137 at comcast.net

Northeast Chapter

3rd Sat., St. Mathew's Church Secaucus, 10 a.m. coffee, meeting at 11 a.m.
www.ThruOurEyes.org

  Dan Facchini               201-906-8655

                             danfb at verizon.net

Northern Chapter

3rd Sat., Free Public Library, 3rd Floor, Newark, 10 a.m. - noon

  Rick Fox                     973-743-6107

                   richardfox1 at comcast.net

Ocean Chapter

2nd Sat., Ocean County Public Library, Toms River

Mary Dockery             732-349-2456

                  mary-ob43 at comcast.net

NFB of NJ Divisions

Association of Blind Merchants

  Lynn Reynolds            908-251-5510

                        lhr1827 at optonline.net

Association of Blind Students
www.njabs.org

Evelyn Valdez              908-206-8701

             tweetybaby19 at comcast.net

Diabetes Division

  Vincent/Michele Chaney    732-251-8650

                       msc732 at optonline.net

Parents of Blind Children
www.blindchildren.org

  Carol Castellano          973-377-0976

                   blindchildren at verizon.net

Promote the Use of Braille

Mary Jo Partyka          609-888-5459

                        choirnfb at gmail.com

Technology Division

Michele Chaney           732-251-8650

                     msc732 at optonline.net

Programs and Projects

Adopt Adaptive Equipment

  Lynn Reynolds            908-251-5510

                        lhr1827 at optonline.net

  Ed Godfrey                 856-848-6372

                  egodfrey137 at comcast.net

                   blindchildren at verizon.net

Braille Mentoring Program

  Sue Tillett                    609-924-7489

                          suetillett at verizon.net

  Mary Jo Partyka          609-888-5459

                          choirnfb at gmail.com

Guide Dog Committee

Vincent Chaney           732-251-8650

                   vgc732 at optonline.net

  Dan Facchini               201-906-8655

                             danfb at verizon.net

Imagination Fund

Evelyn Valdez              908-206-8701

             tweetybaby19 at comcast.net

Legislative Coordinator

  Lynn Reynolds            908-251-5510

                        lhr1827 at optonline.net

Membership

  Quintina Singleton        732-428-4932

                  qmsingleton at comcast.net

  Linda DeBerardinis      856-764-7014

                           ldeber at comcast.net

NFB Newsline

  William Dougherty       800-792-8322

       http://www.nfb.org/newsline1.htm

Scholarship

  Jerilyn Higgins             973-239-8874

                  jdhiggins at rcn.com

Thru Our Eyes/Internet Radio

Lenny Azzarone           201-794-1942

                     vdoman at optonline.net

Youth Slam

Evelyn Valdez           908-206-8701

           tweetybaby19 at comcast.net

PLEASE NOTE:

Deadline for the Spring 2010 issue of The Sounding Board is March 1, 2010.
Articles received after this date will be held for the Fall 2010 issue.

CHECK US OUT ON THE WEB AT

www.nfbnj.org    www.blindchildren.org    www.thruoureyes.org
www.njabs.org

To receive The Sounding Board and other information via e-mail,

please contact Quintina Singleton at qmsingleton at comcast.net.