[Njabs-talk] College Regional Centers for Disabled Students

Quintina M. Singleton qmsingleton at comcast.net
Thu Apr 8 15:14:06 UTC 2010

Hey, everyone!

As you know, New Jersey is in a financial crisis, and lots of programs and services

will be cut. On the chopping block is the $1.1 million that's allocated to the state's

Regional Centers that provide supports to college students who have disabilities.

These supports are services like interpreters, tutors, special advising, instructional

accommodations, and assistive technology. There are over 1,000 students using these

services now. Since the program was started in 1987, more than 10,000 students have

benefitted from these services.

What will happen if these services are cut??

If you're as concerned as I am, please go to

http://savedisabilityservicesforcollegestudents.org

and sign the petition to restore the $1.1 million to the Regional Centers.

(and yes, that's Jon using a CCTV on the site!)

Please pass this e-mail on to every current and prospective college student, parent

and teacher you know. If we show our legislators that we value these services, maybe

the budget will be restored. Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed

people can change the world! (Margaret Mead)

Thanks!

Kathy

-----

Katherine Gabry