[Njabs-talk] Federal Judge Orders the National Conference of Bar Examiners to Provide Individualized Testing Accommodations to Blind Law School Graduate

EVELYN E. VALDEZ tweetybaby19 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 10 22:17:36 UTC 2010

Examiners to Provide Individualized Testing Accommodations to Blind Law School Graduate

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen, National Federation of the Blind,
(410) 659-9314, ext. 2330
Scott LaBarre, LaBarre Law Offices, P.C., (303)
504-5979
Daniel Goldstein, Brown, Goldstein & Levy, LLP,
(410) 962-1030

Anna Levine, Disability Rights
Advocates, (510) 665-8644

Federal Judge Orders the National

Conference of Bar Examiners
to Provide Individualized Testing Accommodations

to Blind Law School Graduate

San

Francisco, California (February 5, 2010): A

federal court has ruled that the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE)

will cause a blind law school graduate irreparable harm unless it provides her

the technology-based testing accommodations she needs to take two exams required

to become a member of the State Bar of California.  The court issued its ruling in an order

granting the law school graduate’s motion for preliminary injunction on

Thursday, February 4, 2010.  The

court’s ruling allows the plaintiff, Stephanie Enyart, to take the February 2010

Multistate Bar Examination (MBE) and March 2010 Multistate Professional

Responsibility Examination (MPRE) on a laptop computer equipped with the

assistive technology software Ms. Enyart relies upon for screen reading (JAWS)

and screen magnification (ZoomText).

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation

of the Blind, said: “The National Federation of the Blind is extremely pleased

with the ruling in this case.  Law

and equity simply do not permit the NCBE to dictate a one-size-fits-all solution

for all bar candidates with disabilities.  We hope that this ruling will cause the

NCBE to think long and hard before it denies the requested accommodations of

applicants to take its examinations.”

The plaintiff,

Stephanie Enyart, said: “A little

over a year ago I sent my first request for accommodations on the March 2009

MPRE, and tonight I can go to sleep knowing when and how I can effectively take

the exams to fulfill my dreams.”

Anna Levine of Disability Rights

Advocates, an attorney representing the plaintiff, said: "I

hope that our hard-fought victory here will send a message to testing

organizations that they need to comply with the ADA and provide each individual test taker with

a disability the accommodations that he or she needs to demonstrate his or her

actual knowledge, skills, and abilities."

The suit was filed on November 3, 2009, due to the

NCBE’s refusal, on multiple occasions during the past year, to allow Ms. Enyart

to use the same technology on the MBE and MPRE that she has used on university

and law school exams and in various jobs and internships.  The suit charged that the NCBE violated

the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and California’s Unruh Civil Rights Act by denying

accommodations on the MBE and the MPRE.

NCBE had argued that it fulfilled its legal

obligations to Ms. Enyart by offering alternative accommodations, such as a

human reader, notwithstanding evidence that these alternatives did not, in fact,

accommodate Ms. Enyart’s disability.  In rejecting NCBE’s argument, the court’s

ruling paves the way for other individuals prevented from pursuing their

professional dreams by high stakes testing providers who take a rigid approach

to disability accommodations.

The plaintiff is represented with the support of the

National Federation of the Blind by LaBarre Law Offices, P.C., in Denver, Colorado, and by

Brown, Goldstein & Levy, LLP, in Baltimore, Maryland.  The plaintiff is further represented by

Disability Rights Advocates, a nonprofit law center that specializes in civil

rights cases on behalf of persons with disabilities, based in Berkeley, California.

###

About the National Federation of

the Blind

With more than 50,000 members, the

National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is the largest and most influential

membership organization of blind people in the United

States.

The NFB improves blind people’s lives through advocacy, education,

research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and

self-confidence.  It is the leading

force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the

National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and

training center in the United

States for the blind led by the blind.