[Njabs-talk] An inquiry from a Princeton University student

EVELYN E. VALDEZ tweetybaby19 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 9 02:32:11 UTC 2010

Hi Ms. Jerilyn Higgins,

I am a rising senior at Princeton University and am

conducting a neuroscience experiment with Uri Hasson's lab that involves blind

participants as part of my senior thesis research. I was wondering if I could

obtain permission to tell your members of if you would be interested in telling

your members about my experiment (note: participants would be compensated for

their time). I'm sure this all sounds really vague and you're probably wondering

what my experiment would entail, so I've included more information

below.

More about the

experiment: The experiment

focuses on language processing in the blind and uses fMRI brain scans that have

been proven to be quite safe. Based on a previous literature review that I have

completed, it has been shown that the visual part of the brain in the blind is

still used, even though its not used for visual purposes. In fact, the visual

cortex is used even more by those who are blind than sighted persons. Blind

persons instead use the visual part of their brain for things such as Braille

reading and verbal comprehension. It is my hope that my research will add even

more to this notion of 'plasticity' or 'developed new functions' within the

blind visual cortex and may even discover new ways in which those who are blind

use the visual part of their brain. These novel functions have been used in

creating potential rehabilitative devices for the blind (such as echolocation

devices). I hope that my research may in some way contribute to this knowledge

that could be used for blind rehabilitative devices and could also further

illuminate the way in which language processing works in the terms of brain

networks in the blind.

The

procedure: In

order to obtain this goal of examining language processing in the blind,

subjects will listen to a story while in the fMRI scanner. They will only be

required to lay still and listen (no other tasks will be asked of them while in

the scanner). This will help determine if the blind visual cortex is a "high" or

"low" level area, which is currently highly debated. Participants will also be

asked to complete a survey at the end which will examine social connectedness

and contribute to blindness in the area of global health.

Compensation/subject requirements: I think some of your members may find it interesting

to participate in the experiment, since they will learn more about the new and

exciting current research that is being done in this field. The total required

time would be 1.5-2 hours and participants would be compensated at a rate of

$20/hour, in addition to coverage of travel expenses. I'm looking for

participants who were born blind or became blind before the age of 2 and are

18-65 years of age. The experiment would occur on Friday afternoons, but other

time slots can be scheduled if Friday afternoons are not

possible.

Please let me know if you would allow me to let those

who are apart of the NFB Central Jersey Chapter learn about my

experiment and if so, how I would go about this. Thank you very much for your

time. Feel free to either email me back or to call me (610)

500-1150.

Looking

forward to speaking with you,
Best,