[Njabs-talk] Teleconference tomorrow! Read!

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 11:59:34 UTC 2010

Hello All,
I am excited to announce that Amy Phelps coordinator of the Summer
Independence program for the summer of 2010, will be at our conference
call tomorrow, Sunday Mar. 28. Below, find the flyer explaining the
program.
And come out and join us. The number is,
1888-354-0094.
Passcode: 7169900.
Please be there at 7:30 sharp.
Thanks all.

Blind Industries and Services of Maryland (BISM)
INDEPENDENCE 2010

June 20-August 1, 2010

For Blind and Low Vision High School Students

What is Independence 2010?
Independence 2010 is a six-week residential training program where
blind and low vision teens learn the nonvisual skills and gain the
confidence necessary to transition from high school to college and/or
employment.

What will Independence 2010 include?
•	Learn to travel independently using a long white cane
•	Access information through assistive technology
•	Learn to read and write using Braille
•	Reside in apartments with other students under the supervision of
blind instructors, and develop cooking, cleaning, and shopping skills.
•	Develop a positive philosophy of blindness
•	Explore career options
•	Attend the 2010 National Convention of the National Federation of
the Blind in Dallas, TX
•	Explore Baltimore and Washington, DC
•	Participate in sports and recreational activities

Who can apply?
Legally blind high school students who are entering 10th, 11th, or
12th grades in the fall of 2010. Applicants should have an open case
with their state’s vocational rehabilitation agency or have an
alternative funding source.

For more information or to apply, please contact Amy Phelps at
410-737-2642 or aphelps at bism.org.

--
Mary Fernandez
Emory University 2012