[Njabs-talk] NFB Launches Text2Give Program

EVELYN E. VALDEZ tweetybaby19 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 7 22:39:04 UTC 2010

National Federation of the Blind

Launches Text2Give Program

Fundraising Effort Will Improve

Education, Technology for Blind Americans

Baltimore,

Maryland (October 6, 2010): The

National Federation of the Blind (NFB), the oldest and largest nationwide

organization of blind people in the United States, has launched the NFB

Text2Give program, a fundraising effort focused on improving education and

technology for blind Americans and supporting other NFB initiatives.  The Text2Give program enables anyone

with a cellular telephone to give a $10 contribution by text message, on the

spot.  The contributions will go to

the NFB Imagination Fund, which supports the education, technology, and research

projects of the NFB Jernigan Institute, as well as programs conducted by the

fifty-two affiliates and over seven-hundred local chapters of the

Federation.  The Imagination Fund

supports innovative programs that encourage blind youth to participate in

scientific careers and help seniors to adjust to vision loss.  By encouraging friends, family, and

others to text the word BLIND to 85944, you can help raise critical funds for

NFB programs at the local, state, and national level.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation

of the Blind, said: “The Text2Give program is an exciting and innovative way to

support the NFB Imagination Fund.

Through the Imagination Fund we are able to create innovative research,

training, education, and technology programs that improve the lives of the blind

and move us closer to our ultimate goal of full integration into society on a

basis of equality.  The crisis in

Braille literacy for blind children and the proliferation of technology that, if

not properly designed, will threaten the independence of the blind mean that

time is of the essence.  But I am

confident that with the help of our members and friends, we will ensure that

blind children are literate and can pursue the career of their choice; that blind people have access

to cutting-edge technology; and that opportunities for all blind Americans are

limited only by our capacity to dream.”

Parnell Diggs, chairman of the NFB Imagination Fund,

said: “We encourage everyone to share the Text2Give program with their friends,

families, and co-workers.  It is a

small and simple way to make a huge difference in the lives of blind people

across the country.”

To donate $10 to the National Federation of the Blind

Imagination Fund using Text2Give, simply text the word BLIND to 85944.  The $10 donation will appear on your

next telephone bill.  Standard text

messaging rates apply.

For more information about the NFB Jernigan

Institute, please visit www.nfb.org, and for more information about the Text2Give

program please call (410) 659-9314, extension 2371.

###

About the National Federation of the

Blind
With more than

50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the largest and most

influential membership organization of blind people in the United

States.

The NFB improves blind people’s lives through advocacy, education,

research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and

self-confidence.  It is the leading

force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the

National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and

training center in the United

States for the blind led by the blind.