[Njabs-talk] NJABS Minutes for 12/11/2011

EVELYN E. VALDEZ tweetybaby19 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 03:44:57 UTC 2011

NJABS Minutes

"Technology touches iPhone 4. S".

The call began at 8:05 PM: Greg recited the NFB pledge. Then he talked for several
minutes about the new iPhone 4.S

8:09 PM: Danny talked about Siri. TO activate it, press and hold the
home button.

It is a service on the iPhone 4.S, and it is able to not only recognize
your voice for simple dictation, but also to answer some questions and
find information previously not possible with this type of voice interface.

You can ask questions using Siri. Where is the nearest Italian
Restaurant for example? What is the weather? You can text people as
well. This is basically talking to your iPhone. You can also say call
whoever. You have to go by the names in your contacts but it is so much
more convenient. Siri is amazing. It is definitely worth it. It is the
main selling point for the iPhone 4S.

8:12 PM: Greg talked about aps. First he mentioned Omoby. Omoby can now
identify money. Omoby is Google based. Then he talked about VizWiz. With
VizWiz, you take a picture of something. It read's what you take a
picture of.

Danny added concerning VizWiz. You take the picture. Then record
something like a question. Then you send it to people on the web. They
see your picture and message and they type their answer back. You may be
wondering about the calorie information on a bag of Doritos. They may
say, turn the bag of Doritos around. You may take a picture of a CD for
example and ask what cd is this? They may say, Move the camera up. The
name is cut off.

Greg talked about more apps. Twitter is now built into the iPhone
operating system. One good website to visit for information on what apps
are accessible and what ones are not is

www.applevis.com .

Danny said: In addition to Applevis.com, there is also

www.maccessibility.net.

They have an extensive list of accessible IOS apps. There are many
accessible games too.

8:17 PM: Isabel Rodriguez  demonstrates Siri. She said what will the weather be
like tomorrow? The iPhone brought up the weather app. Isabel can now
swipe and read the weather with the weather app. Isabel said: I love
you. Siri said: You can't. You can say things like find the nearest cab.
Isabel said: Will you marry me? Siri said: My end user license agreement
does not cover marriage.

8:21 pm: Evelyn asked about iPhone 5.

There may be a hologram keyboard feature on iPhone 5.

Will the Siri name change? Probably not. Siri was already an assistant.
Apple bought it out. With another app called Vlingo, you can speak in
text messages. Not as great. It works with earlier iPhones though.

Approx. 8:22: We Talked about the Battery. There is an extended battery
in the 4.S.

8:28: Evelyn Talked about the title. Our NJABS calls now will all have
titles. This one's title is Technology touches iPhone 4.S.

Concerning the operating system on the iPhone 4S, Danny said there will
be another upgrade soon. 5.1. It will contain fixes. It will be better
with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. These things will be accessible using Siri. It
is Good to have wireless off when on the street.

8:31 PM: Attendance was taken. Members present:

Evelyn Valdez - President.
Shafeka Hashash - Vice President.
Benjamin Vercellone -- Secretary.
Mark Colasurdo: Treasurer
Greg Rivera - board member.
Maxine Lomax: Board Member
Danny Romero
Isabel Rodriguez
Beatrice Olivetti.
Sharon Cortezano.
Carlos Herrera.

8:33 pm: The NJABS Board has new members.

Maxine Lomax. She was formerly known as Marie. She said she is Excited
to be on NJABS. She is excited to work with us.

Next was Mark colasurdo.  He is the new
treasurer. He will transfer the bank from Valley National to somewhere
near him.

Anthony Rayes was next. I believe he is in charge of web design. He and
Greg will put together the NJABS website.

Melissa Hurff is now engaged. Her Fiance's name is John.

Evelyn said there is a new contest. Campus champions ofchallenge.
 We decided to enter our NJABS
Student Convention held this spring into the contest.

For the contest, it will be narrowed down to 15 projects. They will be
invited to the White House. We will be on TV if selected. MTV-U will be
hosting our event.

We applied for a grant for the Washington seminar. We will have a
conference call concerning the seminar. There will be a guest caller to
discuss the three issues. The grant money will be arriving shortly.

Next we talked about the after the holiday party. Everyone on call must
attend. It is from 1 to 5 on January 7.

8:44 pm. Evelyn talked about the Hotel room that we reserved for that
night. It is $85 a night.

8:49 PM: Evelyn said she thinks we covered everything. Evelyn is going
to LCB at the end of January. She thanks all of us. Happy holidays. Call ended.

Respectfully submitted,

Benjamin Vercellone -
secretary.

/njabs-talk_nfbnet.org
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for njabs-talk:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/njabs-talk_nfbnet.org/tweetybaby19%40comcast.net