[Njabs-talk] NFB Commends Department of Education for New Accessible Technology Guidelines

EVELYN E. VALDEZ tweetybaby19 at comcast.net
Fri May 27 01:30:02 UTC 2011

National Federation of the  Blind Commends

Department of Education for New Accessible Technology

Guidelines
Urges Schools to Deploy Technology

That Blind Students Can Use

Baltimore,

Maryland (May 26, 2011): The National

Federation of the Blind urged all elementary, secondary, and postsecondary

schools to follow guidelines issued today by the Department of Education’s

Office of Civil Rights and to deploy

new or emerging technologies only if they are accessible to blind students.  The guidelines, in the form of Frequently

Asked Questions, were issued to supplement the department’s Dear

Colleague letter of June 29, 2010.

That letter informed all college and university presidents that their

institutions must be sure that emerging technologies that they plan to deploy to

students are accessible to the blind and other students with disabilities.  A second

Dear Colleague letter issued today made clear that the same legal

obligations apply to elementary and secondary

schools.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the

National Federation of the Blind, said: “The National Federation of the Blind is

pleased that the Department of Education has issued this guidance to the entire

education community.  If blind

students are to succeed in the twenty-first century, they must have access to

the same technologies as their sighted peers.  These comprehensive answers to commonly

asked questions about the legal obligation to purchase and deploy accessible

technology should be immensely helpful to school administrators.  We urge educators to review them

carefully and apply them whenever they are considering the purchase or

deployment of new educational technologies.  We will continue our efforts to hold

accountable those institutions that ignore their legal obligations to their

blind students.”

###