[Njabs-talk] NJABS Minutes for October 9, 2011

Benjamin Vercellone benvercellone at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 03:55:14 UTC 2011

NJABS Minutes for Sunday, October 9, 2011

8:03 PM -- NFB Pledge read by Benjamin Vercellone -- Secretary/Treasurer.

8:03 PM -- Evelyn said some things and then Jerilyn spoke. This year's
NFBNJ State convention will be from November 11 to 13. On Friday, there
will be workshops, and the vendors will be open all day. On Saturday
will be the speakers. On Sunday, we will have our NJABS board meeting.
You should register with the Crown Plaza Hotel as soon as possible.
Registration is $15. The banquet costs $35. Send your registration
information to Joe Ruffalo, whose information will be posted on the list
serve. Evelyn will email it out. Everly Hierston will be our Keynote
speaker. She used to hold a leadership position in NJ, but is now Vice
President of the California affiliate. The hotel costs $92 per night. A
hot breakfast is provided, and for each room, every extra person's
breakfast is of no additional cost. The number for the Crown Plaza Hotel
is: 1-877-410-2559. You should specify the dates and that it is with the
NFB, otherwise the cost will be $200. There will be the talent show on
Friday night from 8 PM to 11 PM. Jane Deginshine is running it. NJABS
will be doing a student skit. Evelyn said we don't know what we are
doing yet. If you want to perform outside of the student skit, contact
Jane. Her number is:

973-763-5781. Her email is:

Jdegen16 at comcast.net <mailto:Jdegen16 at comcast.net>. We want all of the
students in the student skit. For this event, please Email Shafeka with
ideas. This is very important. We can still perform separately, but if
so, we need to let Jane know. Each chapter will be making a basket. This
is a Friday night thing. Greg, Shafeka, and Evelyn said they will get
things for the basket.Anyone else can contribute too. This is the 36th
NJ state convention.

Njabs will also be having elections. We will have our student meeting.
We are not going to miss school. The convention begins on Veterans' Day.
If you want to run for any position, please let Evelyn and Shafeka know
by emailing njabstudents at gmail.com <mailto:njabstudents at gmail.com>. Let
them know what you want to run for if anything. Elections are open to
everyone.

On a sad note, Michael Hom's grandmother passed away today. She was
known by many and will be missed by all.

If you have any ideas for the panel, send them to Joe at:

nfbnj at yahoo.com <mailto:nfbnj at yahoo.com>. If there is not enough room,
it will be considered for next year.

8:21 PM -- The floor was opened to questions. Evelyn said if anyone is
looking for roommates, please email her and let her know. This is
important. Email:

njabstudents at gmail.com <mailto:njabstudents at gmail.com>. It will be nice
if there are more than 2 or 3 people in a room because it helps keep the
cost down. It makes breakfast cheaper. The banquet is Saturday night.
There will be games including Horse Race and Guess the Time. The winner
will receive a free banquet ticket and free registration for next year's
state convention.

8:23 PM -- Jerilyn left the call.

8:23 PM -- Evelyn said that if enough students attend convention, the
preregistration fee will be waved for them. Last year there was a huge
student turnout. It is a $15 fee. Those attending must email Evelyn and
let her know their names.

Njabstudents at gmail.com <mailto:Njabstudents at gmail.com>. This is
important. It must be official that you are going. Joe is the one to
wave the fee for students.

We have to do the student skit at the talent show.

This year is the 20^th anniversary of Parents of Blind Children.

8:27 PM - Shafeka left. Email Shafeka at njabstudents at gmail.com
<mailto:njabstudents at gmail.com> with your skit ideas.

8:28 pm - This year there will be scholarships. The NJ commission for
the Blind usually gives them out. This year they will not. We are upset.
NFBNJ decided to come up with $2000 for the scholarship. About 8
chapters in the state in 7 divisions are giving. Now we are at about
$1600. Between all. We want to see how far we get. NJABS will give $200.
This will be called the New Jersey membership scholarship. Eligible
students have to be graduating high school and going off to college. It
is wise that individuals who apply for the National scholarship apply
every year. If you don't win the national scholarship, your information
is sent back to NJ, and you can be considered for the state scholarship.
Jeremy Capadi is a former state scholarship winner. Definitely apply for
both state and national. Evelyn will be asking a lot from us between now
and the week of convention. We want a huge student turn out at the 36^th
state convention. Everly Hierston was Evelyn's mentor. She is our
Keynote speaker.

Evelyn said she will be diligent in seeking our help. She needs to know
if we are officially going. We all need to help out. If you are
interested in running for any position, please email Shafeka or Evelyn
with what you are interested in.

njabstudents at gmail.com <mailto:njabstudents at gmail.com>.

Aprox 8:35 PM -- Attendance was taken.

Members who were present in the call including those who left earlier:

Evelyn Valdez - President.

Shafeka Hashash - Vice President.

Benjamin Vercellone - Secretary/Treasurer.

Greg Rivera -- Board Member.

Jerilyn Higgins -- Guest speaker.

Sarah Weinstein.

Kevin Baniker.

Mark Colasurdo

Anthony Rayis.

Dannie Romero.

Jason and Jeremy Capadi.

8:41 PM -- Conclusion.

Evelyn will be reposting the information concerning the Convention
registration on the njabs list serve.

8:42 pm call ended.

Respectfully submitted,

Benjamin Vercellone