[Njabs-talk] Fwd: NABS Notes for March

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 17:49:16 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sean Whalen <smwhalenpsp at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 00:07:52 -0400
Subject: NABS Notes for March
To: nabs-presidents at nfbnet.org

Please find attached, as well as pasted below, the NABS Notes update for March.

Thanks,

Sean

Sean Whalen
President, National Association of Blind Students
(608) 332-4147
nabs.president at gmail.com

NABS Notes

March 2012

In this edition of NABS’ monthly bulletin:

1. NABS Needs You!
2. Congratulations to Missouri!
3. State Announcements
4. Meeting Minutes

NABS Needs You!

Are you planning on being in Dallas this July for National Convention?
You want to help NABS and meet new people at the same time? We are
looking for folks who would be interested in volunteering to assist
with a whole host of efforts at convention. So, whatever your talents,
get in touch and we would be thrilled to put them to use. We will be
needing help with a wide range of tasks from convention planning and
fundraising to dealing cards and manning the NABS table in the exhibit
hall. If you are interested in helping out, please contact Sean Whalen
at 608 332-4147 or nabs.president at gmail.com.

Congratulations to Missouri!

As of March 29, 2012, NABS has a brand new state student division in
the great state of Missouri! Congratulations to the newly elected
President, Bethany Bennington. Huge thanks are due to Shirley Grauel
for her efforts to rebuild the student group in Missouri and to bring
them to this point. Thanks as well to the support of Gary Wunder and
the entire MO affiliate. NABS is one step closer to having an
affiliate in each of the 50 states.

State Announcements
Note: All announcements are printed below as they were received from
their senders. No effort to edit for content, grammar or clarity has
been made on the part of NABS.
Delaware:

We are selling raffel tickets for a Holland American Cruise for 2 to
Mexico or the Caribean for a week. Everything is inclued except port
charges and transportation to and from the area where the cruise is
taking off from. 1 tickets for $10 and 3 tickets for $25. Drawing will
be held April 13 @ 10:pm at a Titanic Dinner. Please contact me at
nabs_delawaredivision at yahoo.com if you are interested in purchasing
tickets or desire more information.

Meeting Minutes

National Association of Blind Students

Board Meeting Minutes
March 18, 2012

Meeting called to order at 8:35 P.M.

Members Present:

Sean Whalen
Karen Anderson
Darian Smith
Cindy Bennett
Shelby Ball
Candice Chapman
Briley Pollard
Domonique Lawless

Committee Reports

Fundraising: Thank you’s to auction donators are going into the mail
tomorrow. The Apple TV raffle will be drawn shortly. We will do a
raffle at National Convention with several prizes. We will determine
the details of this over the coming weeks and finalize a decision on
the April call.

Membership: A flyer for the March call is in the works. Exploring
topics for next month’s membership call.

Slate: Almost ready to publish. Should be out in late March or early April.

Website: Contacts continue to be maintained, and the resource list is
still in the works.

Old Business:

Treasury: Checks were mailed to Cindy, BLIND, Inc. Holiday Inn Capitol, Sean.
There are still some outstanding checks. New Jersey, Jeff Lucas,
National, and Beth Debus. Sean and Shelby will follow up to ensure
that outstanding checks are cleared.

New Business

Rep Requests: Tennessee did not work out. A rep will not go to
Mississippi, but Candice will be there. Sean is going to Texas. Cindy
might go to Wisconsin. Darian might go to New Mexico. Decisions on WI
and NM will be made in the next week.

NABS Leadership Seminar: June 1 weekend is the most likely. Affiliate
action is interested in assisting with agenda and finding
participants. Dr. Maurer has been contacted.

NABS Promotional CDROM: A multimedia approach with interviews was
proposed instead of the CD just containing documents. The committee
will continue to work out the specific approach, and report back to
the full board for a decision at the next meeting.

As always, please contact Sean Whalen at 608 332-4147 or
nabs.president at gmail.com with any questions, comments or suggestions.
The NABS board works for you, and we want to know how we are doing!

--
Darian Smith

"To dream what is possible and to put oneself in service of that dream is the
formula
for a life well lived."

- Dr. Peter Benson