[Njabs-talk] Important Information!!!

Veronica R Gaspa veronica.gaspa at student.shu.edu
Mon Nov 13 15:04:21 UTC 2017

Good morning students!
This is going to be another long email, but it will be filled with very important information!
First of all I want to thank all of those who were able to attend the forty-first NFB of NJ state convention for making it a wonderful convention. I would also like to congratulate our 2017/2018 NJABS board:
President, Vee Gaspa
Vice President: Jonathan Zobek
Treasurer: Ida Behreini
Secretary: Amy Albin
Board member one: Hank Miller
Board member two: Anthony Lanzilotti

We are all looking forward to a great year as we fight for the equality of the blind population of New Jersey.
I would also like to provide some information on how to get involved and make an impact on the national level of the National Federation of the Blind. One thing we talked about at our annual business meeting at state convention was letters in support of a piece of NFB legislation, AIMHE, Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education. AIMHE would form a purpose based committee to create a set of voluntary guidelines so that colleges would know how they can help. The National Association of Blind Students is running a contest to see witch affiliate can gather the most letters and that affiliate will get a prize that has not been announced yet. I know we can do it! You can also get letters from your college or university in support of AIMHE. These letters can be obtained by meeting with the president or student government president of your college or university. You can find a templet to writing an AIMHE letter attached to this email. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.
Along with talking about AIMHE, if you would like to attend the 2018 Washington Seminar NABS is holding a program to provide financial assistance. NABS along with our National Office is willing to give students money to help them attend Washington Seminar at the end of January. Washington Seminar is where blind people from all over the country gather in Washington D.C to speak with the congressional representatives from their respective states on bills that will fix issues facing the nation's blind population. If you are interested in attending here is the application for NABS funding:
https://goo.gl/forms/orW6c7cPS3zyXSeg22
The deadline to apply is November 26, and you will know if you have been approved to receive funds by mid-December. If you do not get selected to receive funds, or you are still struggling with the funds you do receive, please reach out to the state affiliate or your local chapter and see if they can help. If you have any further questions about Washington seminar please feel free to contact me.
If you would like to get more involved with NABS, and or connect with them via social media and email please visit the website:
www.nabslink.org
These are all of the announcements as of now. Please write your letters, make plans to join us in Washington, and get ready to help us build the National Federation of the Blind!
Best,
Vee Gaspa

Vee Gaspa
President, New Jersey Association of Blind Students
Brother, Alpha Phi Omega
Writer, the Setonian
Phone: 434-989-1868
Email: veronica.gaspa at student.shu.edu<mailto:veronica.gaspa at student.shu.edu>
Remember, you can live the life you want!