[Njagdu] [Fwd: Re: [nagdu] Driver awareness]

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Mar 22 14:46:40 UTC 2010

Posters at DMV are an interesting idea.  They could remind people anytime
they're getting their license renewed.

Subject: Re: [nagdu] Driver awareness
From:    "Jewel S." <herekittykat2 at gmail.com>
Date:    Fri, March 19, 2010 7:17 pm
<nagdu at nfbnet.org>

I considered doing a white can and guide dog awareness program in the
Raleigh area this year with White Cane Safety Day. I was thinking of
doing posters that say "Stop for white canes and guide dogs...it's the
law!" with small print below it explaining the White Cane Law and
giving a website to visit for more information. I am hoping to ask the
DMV if we can put up these posters in the DMV offices, and hope to
also distribute them to Driver Schools and Driver's Ed classes in the
area. I had never heard of the White Cane Law before I went blind. I
was a driver, but I didn't know that I was supposed to yield to blind
pedestrians, just pedestrians in general. I was 16 in Driver's
Ed...what teenager reads the manual from cover to cover? I sure
didn't, naughy I know.

My two cents,
Jewel