[Njagdu] Fw: Resending DNV This is Kathy Rawa

Trish Ebel aimang4 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 20 00:17:50 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: KARmedtrans at aol.com
To: aimang4 at verizon.net
Cc: vgc732 at optonline.net
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:38 PM
Subject: Resending DNV This is Kathy Rawa

Trish

Sorry I have not printed the information I received from Marion Gwizdala sooner - I have had computer problems and been sick.

This is what he has advised we do.

1.  You have to make sure the picture or diagram is explicit in the motor vehicle booklet.  Must clearly show a pedestrian traveling across the street with a white cane and another walking with a guide dog.  Best if a photograph clearly showing what we are trying to bring to the driver's attention.

2.  A picture depicting crossing at a traffic light -- pedestrian having the right of way.

3.  Graphics must be very detailed Have input into the graphics. Artwork must involve great accuracy.

4.  Should have a paragraph before the pictures regarding the White Cane.  This is what I received from Joe and believe this is what Marion was talking about to be included in the driver's booklet.

The White Cane

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is working to heighten public awareness of the white cane.  The white cane is an efficient tool for mobility and a symbol of independence.

Each year on October 15, we mark the observance of congressional resolution HR 753, the "White Cane Law." This decree, also known as the "Civil Rights Bill for the Blind" diligently addresses issues affecting the quality of life of disabled citizens in America.  This bill grants rights to the blind regarding access and enjoyment of public buildings, transportation, housing facilities, use of guide dogs, and provides for "White Cane Safety Day."

White Cane Safety Day was first established in 1964 by congressional resolution at the request of the NFB.  Our desire was to encourage official public recognition of the white cane as a symbol of the right of blind people to be fully independent and to be an equal part of the community.

The world of the blind and visually impaired was expanded and enhanced significantly as white canes and guide dogs were put into use as tools to aid in promoting safety and self-reliance for people with visual impairments.
Regarding the Driver Education Testing.

1.  Questions regarding blind/visually impaired people MUST be within the first 12 questions.  Otherwise, when scoring is performed -- when computers are involved -- the test will be over and the person taking the test will never have any reference to how knowledgeable he/she is regarding the blind using a white cane or guide dog when crossing.

2.  Questions must bring awareness and understanding what either one represents and how pedestrians that are blind or visually impaired means of crossing must be respected and provide safe mobility.

Hope this is not toooooooo late
Kathy Rawa and Dorito