[Njagdu] Dealing with a loss of a pet, some helpful stuff for some maybe

Trisha patriciaebel0302 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 13 02:06:07 UTC 2018

Coping With the Death Of A Pet

How to deal with the loss of a pet

The loss of a pet can be one of the most heart-wrenching experiences we will
ever go through. While it is expected that we feel sorrow and mourn the loss
of a loved one, the loss of a beloved pet can be just as difficult or harder
to bear for many.

A dog or cat is a faithful friend, offering unconditional love,
companionship and fun. When that intense bond is irretrievably lost, it can
be emotionally devastating. Although people who are not pet parents may not
understand your grief, rest assured that those who have known the joy of
having a pet in their lives will understand. Though your pet is no longer
physically with you, the cherished memories will always remain within your
heart.

  _____

"Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends,
is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives."~John
Galsworthy

  _____

What Feelings Can I Expect?

There is a wide range of feelings you may experience over the loss of your
pet. Experts classify the stages of grief as denial, anger, bargaining,
depression and finally, acceptance. Any or all of these feelings are normal,
as everyone grieves differently.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to mourn the loss of a pet. Many pet
guardians who have had to make the difficult decision to euthanize their pet
feel guilt wondering whether they made the right decision. The thought that
it is better to let your pet go a week too early than making this decision
even a day too late may be comforting. Relieving your pet of suffering and
providing a peaceful passing is your last loving gift to him or her.

  _____

How Long Until I Feel Better?

Allow yourself plenty of time to feel sorrow as you work through the grief
process.

You should not feel embarrassed about the depth of your feelings. The amount
of time it may take you to get over the loss of your pet is also individual.
Even though it may not seem that you will ever feel better, know that the
intensity of your grief will lessen over time until you are able to remember
your furry friend with more smiles and fewer tears.

  _____

What Might Help Me Get Over My Grief?

Talking with an understanding friend or family member about your pet and
your feelings of loss may help you work through your sadness.

Memorializing your pet is a therapeutic exercise in dealing with grief or
depressing feelings. Discuss a happy memory with your friends or family and
discuss your feelings. If you prefer to keep your feelings private, try
writing down your thoughts in a journal. Many people feel moved to write a
poem about their pet, create a special memorial, or plant a tree in honor of
their special friend. Frame a special photo of your pet, or create a photo
album to keep your pet's memory close.

  _____

Should I Get Another Pet?

When you feel emotionally ready, consider bringing another pet into your
home.

Even though you can never replace the pet you have lost, you can build a
new, different bond with another pet. Adopting a homeless dog or cat in need
of a loving home is an excellent way to honor the memory of your pet.

If you are having difficulty moving beyond the sadness caused by the loss of
your pet, don't feel afraid or ashamed to seek professional help.

When we make the decision to bring a pet into our lives, we open our hearts
to love and happiness. Loss is just a part of the journey you and your pet
will take together. Take joy in the happiness you provided your pet
throughout his or her lifetime and remember that, although your pet is no
longer physically with you, the cherished memories will always remain within
your heart.

  _____

Pet Grief Resources

<http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/coping_with_pet_death.h
tml> The Humane Society of the United States

Warmest Regards

Trisha Ebel