[NJAGDU] I was charged a cleaning fee on a Thanksgiving day ride with my service dog

richardfox1 at comcast.net richardfox1 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 25 02:00:24 UTC 2023

Hello listers,

Yesterday, my wife Debbie, my Seeing EyeR dog, Flash and I traveled from our
Bloomfield home to Debbie's niece in Monmouth County via Uber. The driver,
Michael, was as courteous and friendly as can be, and made no fuss
concerning Flash.

When I examined the Uber receipt a few hours later, I discovered that
Michael had reported that I had made a mess, and Uber charged me a cleaning
fee. Flash did not make a mess, and he was well groomed.

I reported the incident via the Uber Accessibility section, and described
the problem in detail. The response I got from Uber seemed to be generated
by a computer, explaining why cleaning fees are necessary, etc. I responded,
saying I was shocked and surprise that Uber was going against Federal and
State law, not to mention its own policy. I guess a human must have
intervened, because Uber's immediate response was that the cleaning fee was
being refunded.

I hope all of you had a blessed and happy Thanksgiving.

Rick Fox
973-641-5067