[Njtechdiv] An update on vundo

Kevin kevinsisco61784 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 19:28:13 UTC 2014

Hello list.  As you may recall I emailed about a serious security
threat.  Well, I have done research and will share what I've learned.
The creator(s) of Vundo seem to be using Youtube and the google search
engine to spread this attack.  Be careful about videos.  Even if it is
found on another site, chances are it is hosted on Youtube.
Furthermore, be careful about google searches. I don't mean avoid these
things.  If you are able, use firefox for now as it is not as vulnerable
as internet explorer.  Another option is to use Internet Explorer
without plug ins.  This can be found under start, programs, accessories,
system tools I believe.  Now, if you have google has your home page you
should change this in internet explorer.  Get on the web and press alt+t
for tools.  Then arrow to options and hit enter.  At this point, type
another address such as:
http://www.msn.com
Now tab to the apply button and hit enter.  Now tab to the okay button
and hit enter.  That's it!  If you notice any odd activity, scan for
viruses and spyware and remember to keep software updated. I'm sure it
is only a matter of time before this threat is contained but until that
time we need to be on alert.

--
Kevin