[Njtechdiv] avoiding auto complete in Firefox

Mario mrb620 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 9 21:15:29 UTC 2016

hi all, after I launch Firefox, JAWS announces "enter address edit
combo", and a tab lands me in "Search using Google edit combo", and
another tab lands me in "about:blank".
this is where I press control+l and start typing an address because the
latter does not auto complete as I type, thus eliminating confusion when
I want to visit a website. plus, it allows me
to use the left arrow key to review the address for any mistakes or
missing letters.

this also happens when I'm using NVDA.

is there a way to leap frog over the first two input fields or get rid
of them completely?

When Firefox starts: Combo box, show a blank page.
Choose your default search engine ... bla bla bla, Combo box, Google.
all of the other choices have been removed by me. .
Provide search suggestions Alt+Shift+s check box, not checked.
Show search suggestions in location bar results Alt+Shift+l check box,
not checked Unavailable

I can't figure out what to do. maybe there's a setting I overlooked? the
other thing is if there is a configuration I can change, but need to
know what really works. I don't want to muck around and mess up Firefox.

anyone got an idea what I can do?