[Njtechdiv] good and bad about narrator.

ken lawrence kenlawrence124 at aol.com
Wed Aug 17 10:19:59 UTC 2016

Hi list to follow up on that posting regarding screen readers and windows 10 have been fiddling around with narrator to see just how good it is and it is vastly improoved, but it isn’t a replacement for jaws or NVDA first the good points.  with the new scan feature you have the single letter navigation like jaws or NVDA I easily navigated the TV listings email with windows live mail.  also managed to log into pandora with edge and poked around on facebook.  there is something you have to remember though.  to type into an edit field you must toggle off that scan mode.  this is done as mentioned in the posts from yesterday by the caps lock with the space bar.  now the down side.  you still can’t quite navigate pandora using the arrows and from what I observed I couldn’t see my stations list.  will have to see about firefox and or chrome or explorer.  also another down side.  if narrator is engaged, music ducks.  this is a farely new feature similar to an Iphone where if you are on a skype call and you are playing music, the music volume is lowered.  well I tried both pandora and groove music and even when groove music volume is 100 percent the sound is ducked whenever narrator is engaged.  also on pandora since they messed up to begin with by setting up it’s commands around the arrow keys, you can’t turn up or down, you can’t thumbs up or down a track or skip.  clearly microsoft was in a rush to get people off of windows 7, 8 and 8.1 but I think they were in to big a hurry.  haven’t yet tested the windows mail app with narrator but that is next.  other wise though windows 10 is much much improoved with the anniversary update.  the groove music app now has a radio component similar to pandora.  I haven’t yet figured out how to create my own personalized radio stations and I don’t like the list of stations it shows.  it’s all that hip hop and modern pop that I don’t like all that much.  hopefully it will be in the future a way to listen to online radio stations the way windows media player used to be.  I think we’ll have to wait for the nexst jaws and NVDA updates before blind/visually impared can really take advantage of the new features.