[Njtechdiv] Trouble with an old PC

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Sep 5 14:43:49 UTC 2016

I have an old Windows XP PC which I still sometimes use because my old
scanner works well with it.  I would happily connect my old scanner to my
new PC, but the manufacturer doesn't have a new driver for it.  They want to
force me to buy a new scanner, which annoys me on principle.

Anyway, my old XP PC won't go to the desktop anymore.  It's trying to load
some file that ends in "calling card", and, when that fails, it disables the
start/Windows key, and won't go to the desktop.  Does anyone know how to get
around this?  If I could get to the desktop, or the start menu, I could run
antivirus and kill the file causing the problem.

Or do I have to give up, throw the old machine out, and buy a new scanner?

Thanks.