[Njtechdiv] This is about a atomic watch

Mario Brusco mrb620 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 30 16:08:27 UTC 2017

the atomic clock is in Fort Collins, Colorado. This feature is made
possible by a radio system set up and operated by NIST -- the National
Institute of Standards and Technology, located in Boulder
Colorado. NIST operates radio station WWVB, which is the station that
transmits the time codes (signals).

WWVB is a very interesting radio station. It has high transmitter power
(50,000  watts, a very efficient antenna and an extremely low frequency
(60,000 Hz). For comparison, a typical AM radio station broadcasts at a
frequency of 1,000,000 Hz. The combination of high power and low
frequency gives the radio waves from WWVB a lot of bounce, and this
single station can therefore cover all of the continental United States
plus much of Canada and Central America.