[Njtechdiv] AI apps

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Oct 26 13:35:41 UTC 2017

There are a few AI apps being released for the iphone, and I just snagged
the latest, Envision AI.  It's pretty entertaining.  I took a picture out a
window, and it said "Looks like a tree in front of a house".  There are a
lot of things out there besides a tree, but I guess that's the biggest
thing.

It has a text-recognition feature, which worked OK on an ad I got in the
mail, but Seeing AI did better on an envelope, and KNFB Reader did better
than either of the AI apps.  The only advantage of the Seeing AI app is that
its short text recognition is fast and easy-just hold the phone over
whatever and it will try to read it.

The Envision AI, and the Seeing AI, both claim to recognize people, but,
when I took a picture of my husband for Envision, it wasn't clear how to
give it a title so it would recognize him again.

I also took a picture of my dog, who is a yellow lab/golden cross, and, my
husband says, is very light, like pale blond.  But the apps all say he is
brown, which confuses me.  To me, brown is not a light color.  But what do I
know.

Anyway, I think these AI apps are interesting, and thought I'd say something
about them, in case people were interested.