[Njtechdiv] what's wrong with national do not call?

Mario Brusco mrb620 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 4 01:21:44 UTC 2019

sorry, it wasn't Governor Murphy, but I did hear about something he is
trying to propose due to complaints of robo calls. but here's the
article I mentioned:

Combating Spoofed Robocalls with Caller ID Authentication
https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication

"American consumers are sick and tired of unwanted robocalls, this
consumer among them. Caller ID authentication will be a significant step
towards ending the scourge of spoofed robocalls. It's time for carriers
to implement robust caller ID authentication." – FCC Chairman Ajit Pai

How Will Caller ID Authentication Help Consumers?

Caller ID authentication is a new system aimed at combating illegal
caller ID spoofing. Such a system is critical to protecting Americans
from scam spoofed robocalls and would erode the ability of callers to
illegally spoof a caller ID, which scam artists use to trick Americans
into answering their phones when they shouldn't. Additionally, consumers
and law enforcement alike could more readily identify the source of
illegal robocalls and reduce their impact. Industry stakeholders are
working to implement caller ID authentication, which is sometimes called
SHAKEN/STIR. Once implemented, it should greatly help the accuracy of
caller ID information and should provide consumers with helpful
information for determining which calls are authenticated.

the rest of the article goes into some more detail including responces
from telephone and/or cellular companies (Att, Comcast, Sprint, Verizon
and others) in response to Chairman Ajit Pai's recommendation.