[NJTechDiv] an easier way to add contacts?

Andy guitarwizandy at optonline.net
Fri Jun 4 17:44:56 UTC 2021

Ken, I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding about how this works.
To add a contact, first open the Contacts app. Swipe to the right a bit.  We're not looking for Search; if you found Search, you actually missed what we want, which is Add.  Keep in mind that every element on the screen has some sort of purpose.  Search is for searching your contact list to find a specific contact.  Since you're asking about how to add contacts, I'm assuming that's not what you want.  In any case, once we've found the Add button, double-tap it.  VoiceOver has placed you into a text area, and asked you to input a First Name.  In reality, you can put more than one word in here.  You can enter, for instance, something like "NFB Conference Line" and it'll accept it no problem.

One thing that I emphasize to everyone is, explore the screen with your fingers!  It's a touch screen, so don't be afraid to treat it as such.  To enter text, you can certainly flick around to each letter, as you describe, but that would take a long time.  A far more efficient way to do this is to move your finger around the screen to locate the keyboard, then move your fingers around to find the keys you need.  Double tap to enter the letters.

Assuming you've got the name entered as you want it, go back to the first element on the screen.  VoiceOver has a specific gesture for this: a four-finger tap near the top of the screen.  Then, swipe to the right a few times.  You'll eventually find a field called "Add Phone."  Double-tap it to activate it.  Similar to the last time, explore to find the keyboard.  In both instances, the keyboard will be near the bottom of the screen.  Type in your phone number.  To enter a comma, double-tap on the shift key, locate the comma key, and double-tap it.

Assuming you have the phone number entered, again go to the first element with a four-finger tap at the top of the screen, and double-tap the "Done" button.  You're all set.

I can't stress enough how important it can be to explore the screen.  You'd be surprised how much you miss by just flicking left/right.