[NJTechDiv] BlindShell Classic 2

iliregoca at gmail.com iliregoca at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 19:15:25 UTC 2022

Hello,

I hope this e-mail finds everyone well. I am looking to trial the BlindShell
Classic 2. This is an accessible cell phone that is designed for the blind
and visually impaired with a tactile keypad and a variety of vision aids and
other applications installed on it. Even though I use an iPhone and feel
comfortable with it, there are older individuals and individuals with
intellectual or physical disabilities who cannot use a touch screen. I am
hoping to demo this phone not only because of my own curiosity, but because
I have heard many good things about it and I want to be able to share it
with my future students and clients as a TVI. I am not going to know if this
phone would really be beneficial to people, unless I can try it out for
myself. I reached out to the following organizations regarding this matter:

1.	BlindShell USA: I reached out to the company who markets and
distributes the phone and they do not offer a "try before you buy" program.
All they offer is a 14-day return policy with a 20% restocking fee. I feel
that fourteen days is not enough time to determine if a product is
beneficial and $489 is quite expensive if you just plan on trying the
product.
2.	The Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired in New Jersey: I
reached out to CBVI regarding this matter. They informed me that they do not
loan assistive technology for testing or other purposes. They also informed
me that they would pass along the information I provided to them on the
BlindShell to their assistive technology department.
3.	Technology Lending Center: I reached out to the lending library in
New Jersey to see if they would have this type of phone available for loan.
They informed me that they do not have a BlindShell in stock and they do not
plan on stocking it because it is a cell phone and it is not unlocked to
work with all carriers.

I am wondering if you know of other organizations in New Jersey or anywhere
else who loan assistive technology. I just don't know who else to reach out
too. I am providing the link to BlindShell USA's website if you would like
to learn more about the phone.

https://blindshellusa.com/

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you,