[NJTechDiv] Word Doc to ePub Converter Tool

Lori Falk falkl at optonline.net
Tue Mar 15 00:27:07 UTC 2022

For those interested in converting David's excellent Windows Screen Reader
Primer from docx to ePub format so that navigable headings will be there for
reading in Voice Dream Reader, see the post I made to the
tek-talk-discussion list following my signature.

Alan

Subject: Screen Reader Primer and converting to ePub

Hi List,

David did an outstanding job on this book and it should be read by all that
can benefit from it. With that in mind, I loaded the Word docx file into
Voice Dream Reader on my iPhone 13 Mini to see if its navigable headings
would carry over. Unfortunately, the headings did not display in Voice Dream
when headings were selected from the Voice Dream bottomline toolbar. I
decided to use the excellent Word to ePub converter provided by The DAISY
Consortium and add the ePub version to Voice Dream Reader to see if headings
then were displayed. This worked like a charm and now I can easily peruse
the navigable headings and jump to them at my leisure in Voice Dream Reader.

I know someone asked about getting David's Windows Screen Reader Primer in
DAISY format at Tek Talk this past Monday. I think this is probably the
easiest way to do that. I'm not totally clear on the differences between
DAISY and ePub but I expect the end result using a tool provided by The
DAISY Consortium is one of the easiest ways to get there.

You can get the Word to ePub converter add-in from The DAISY Consortium at
this website:

https://daisy.org/activities/software/wordtoepub/

When installed, it is very easy to use. You can call up a list of docx files
in Windows Explorer or via the Search Everything utility which I use, place
focus on the file to be converted, open a context menu with shift + F10, and
select convert to ePub from the context menu. I was successful doing so
using Word 2019 on my computer running Windows 10.

Good luck to those converting this excellent resource to ePub format.

Alan Lemly