[NJTechDiv] connecting the reader

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun May 29 12:21:21 UTC 2022

Hi Ken.

There hasn’t been an update in a long time for the Reader.

I connect mine to my PC using the USB cable, and that works fine.  To make it connect using Bluetooth, follow the directions on pairing the Reader, which you can find in the user guide.

If you’re having trouble downloading to the Reader, there’s a whole section on that in the user guide as well.  First you have to connect it to your wifi, and then you have to put in your login and password for BARD when you go to connect there.  Same for Newsline.

To do any of these things, it’s crucial to know what grade braille the Reader is using.  If you’re trying to enter a username and password, you can’t use grade 2 braille if it wants computer braille, for instance.  I always switch to computer braille, because I’m very comfortable with that.

If you’ve followed the user guide instructions for getting connected, and it still doesn’t work, I think your best bet is to call the library and get someone to help you.  They should know the most.

If they can’t help you, I can review the relevant sections of the manual and try to help you.  It’s been a good while since I set up my Reader, but I remember the instructions were good.

Tracy