[Nmabs] August 2nd meeting minutes.

NMABS President nmabs.president at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 16:01:28 UTC 2009

New Mexico Association of Blind Students August 2, 2009 Meeting Minutes
Meeting Called to order at 7:03 PM
Roll Call of Members:
Terese Garcia
Britannie Burden
Michael Postlethwait
Peter Krumland
Monica Martinez
Amanda Youngblood
Tara Sena
Christopher Chavez
Guests: Christine Hall, David Abraham, Danielle Baldwin, Dion Valdez

Chris motioned that the minutes for the last meeting be approved.
David seconded.  Motion passed.

Treasurer's Report

As of June 1, we had a beginning balance of $1679.23.  There were no
deposits. We had a withdrawal of $2.67 which, as of June 30, leaves us
with $1676.56.
We discussed the $2.67 that we were charged, and we did not understand
what we were charged for. Whatever it was, it might not happen anymore
because our old account has been closed and we have opened a new
account. Britannie moved that the treasurer's report be approved.
Peter seconded. Motion passed.

Announcements:

The State Fair Parade is on Saturday September 5.  The bus will meet
us at the same place where we met when we went to the horseback riding
event: outside Mervin’s at Coronado Mall. We will be on the bus by
7:00 AM.  We have called the Alamogordo Orientation Center, but Juan
Haro has not called back.  Monica, Peter, Britannie, Tara, Chris,
Amanda, and Michael would like to participate.
Update: The state fair parade is actually on September 12, not on
September 5. Also, The orientation Center is bringing 16 participants
to the state fair parade.
We have the pool party coming up on August 29 from 4:00 to 6:00 PM.
This is a bring-your-own snack party.  It will be located at the Los
Altos Park and pool.  Also, the White Cane Banquet will be on October
17 at the Hilton in Albuquerque.

There has not been a presidential release.  We will see if there will
be a September release. Update; Tara has ordered the monthly releases
so she should have one for the next meeting which Terese has
volunteered to give a report on each month.

Tara had asked Francine if she would write an article, but she is
currently not on the conference call.  Peter volunteered to write the
articles for the State Newsletter, but Terese will do it for now.

Committee Reports:

Membership is going well. Within the last 2 moths, we have increased
by 2 new members.

Fundraising:

We have contacted a person in Clovis concerning the T-shirts.  The
shirts were $3.25 except for the 2X's and 3X's, which were $4.75.

Unfinished Business:
The web site is still not up because of the fact that Tara has not
heard from William Bowes.  Tara will send an e-mail to him concerning
this.

New Business:

We have wanted to start a Goal Ball team for some time now.  David
discussed some ideas about recruitment, setting up a place to
practice, etc.  Peter wants to talk to Joan Greene, David Shmidley,
and also a person who runs Johnson Center at UNM about setting up a
place for a Goal Ball team.  We also discussed some fundraising that
we could do down the line.

We talked about what we can do for Meet the Blind Month.  We were
talking about doing a storytelling event during Meet the Blind Month,
where we go to different schools or public libraries, and we would
read a book in Braille to children.  Peter was interested helping in
Albuquerque and in Roswell.

Christine gave us a speech about how she was here for us in terms of
mentoring.  She also talked about National Convention, and how it was
a success.  There were about 1000 people in the Motor City March.  She
said that the convention will be in Dallas next year, and encouraged
us to come to convention next year.  She also discussed the quiet-car
legislation and concerning scholarships.

We were thinking of doing a September activity, but we do not know
what to do yet.  Also, we discussed the NMABS mailing list and the
number of people that have signed up for it.

The Pack Plan:

New Mexico, as of June 1, is 26th in the nation concerning this plan.
David motioned that we give $20 a month toward this plan, and Amanda
seconded.  Motion passed.

Next Meeting:
The meeting was originally going to be September 6 at 7:00, but we
thought that this would be a weird time since we were starting school.
 Also, the treasurer's report takes a long time to come in, so we
talked about changing our meetings to take place on the third Sunday
of each month.  David motioned that this happen, and Monica seconded.
Motion passed.  The meeting will be on September 20 at 7:00 PM.

Peter motioned that the meeting be adjourned, David seconded.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:17 PM.