[Nmabs] NMABS Meeting Minutes Feb. 21.

NMABS President nmabs.president at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 01:58:21 UTC 2010

New Mexico Association of Blind Students Meeting Minutes for 2-21-10
Meeting called to order at 7:01 PM, February 21, 2010
Roll Call of Members
Monica Martinez
David Abraham
Tara Sena
Brianne Kotschwar
Chris Chavez
Amanda Youngblood
Britannie Burden
Michael Postlethwait
No guests
Treasurer's Report
As of January 9, we had $1738.85. We had a withdrawal of $827.96. Our
ending balance is $910.89.
David moved that the treasurer's report be approved, Monica seconded.
Motion was passed.
Minutes from Previous meeting:
Monica moved that the minutes from the last meeting be approved, and
Brianne seconded. Minutes from the last meeting were approved as read.
Fundraising
We have ordered the T-shirts and the company is now working on them.
We are still trying to sell the mugs. For every $10, NMABS would get
25% of the profit, or $2.50.
Update: The shirts were finished on Feb. 26, and Tara and Chris picked
them up on 3/01/2010!!! We are going to sell them for $10 for one $12
for a 2XL or 2 shirts for $15. Tara has sold 11 mugs total and Terese
sold one, let’s keep it up!!!
State Convention
We have agreed to donate a $500 scholarship for this convention.
Monica moved that $500 be used as the NFBNM scholarship for the 2010
convention. Amanda seconded. Motion was passed.
Tara took some ideas for our student seminar at state convention. We
have agreed to shorten the seminar and have elections at the end of
the seminar. We discussed an ice breaker in which everyone would share
their name, school, and college major, but we decided on a scavenger
hunt instead with a bag of candy for the prize. The purpose of this
scavenger hunt will be to help our audience get to know each other. We
will be having representatives from the Accessibility services from
UNM and CNM. They will have 15 minutes each to talk and take questions
from the audience. Joan Green and Amanda Butrum from UNM will speak
about UNM’s Accessibility Resource Center and Terri Abraham has agreed
to represent CNM’s Special Services. We will have a "student’s
experience" where Terese and Britannie will share their experience
with NMABS to inspire other students to join our organization. NMABS Q
and A will last about 35 minutes. We will allow 30 minutes for the
election. With all this in mind, the seminar should last about 2
hours. We were also going to have people talk about Washington
Seminar, and Britannie would throw in a little about the orientation
center in Alamogordo to inspire blind people who just lost their sight
to go there for training.
Update: Our seminar will actually last 3 hours, since Cheryl Fogle, a
student at UNM, wants to share some archaeological artifacts with the
people who are at the seminar.
We discussed who was going to re-run for office.
For the student luncheon, there are 3 people interested in being the
MC: David, Britannie, and Amanda. We will finalize who will be the MC
at our next monthly meeting.
Update: Christine needed a name sooner so Amanda Youngblood was chosen
to be the Mistress of Ceremonies for the Student Luncheon.
Michael talked about his experience at Washington Seminar. He stated
that Senator Tom Udahl will be introducing the technology Bill of
Rights into the senate, but was not quite ready to do that yet. All
senators and congressman from New Mexico have signed on as cosponsors
of the Quiet Car Bill.
The presidential release was read by Tara.
The next meeting is March 21 at 7:00 PM via teleconference. To access
the meeting, please call: 218-339-2699 and enter access code: 725279.
Brianne motioned that the meeting be adjourned, Michael seconded. Motion passed.
Meeting adjourned at 8:22 PM

I apologize for not sending this sooner, but this will also be a
reminder that we have our meeting next week.