[Nmabs] Minutes from November 21.

NMABS President nmabs.president at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 20:54:03 UTC 2010

New Mexico Association of Blind Students Meeting November 21, 2010

Meeting called to order at 7:05 PM.

Roll Call of Members:

Tara Chavez

Michael Postlethwait

Christopher Chavez

Monica Martinez

Josh Brownell

Amanda Youngblood

Brianne Kotschwar

Introduction of Guests: No guests

Treasurer's Report: Balance as of today: $801.00. Tara estimated the balance
including a deposit of $71 from money from the seminar. Michael moves, Chris
seconds, Motion carries.

Minutes from previous meeting: Monica moves, Amanda seconded, Motion
carries, minutes are approved as read.

Announcements: Albuquerque chapter Christmas party: Dec 14, 2010 6:00-8:00
PM at Shonies 6810 Menaul Blvd. NE. $10 minimum for the gift exchange.
Donating clothing items to St. Martins. Bring items to the Albuquerque
Chapter Christmas party. Zia night, February 24, 2011 at 4:45-7:00 at Zia
elementary school. Elections for the Albuquerque Chapter were held and Tara,
Monica, Chris, and Brianne, and Lindsay are now serving on the board for the
chapter.

Unfinished business:

Tee-shirts and mugs: we are still selling them, sold a few at the seminar.

Benefit nights: still thinking of doing tem. Possibly doing one beginning in
January, once a month. Places to consider: Ortega's, Sagios, Einstein's, TGI
Fridays, Ben and Jerries, Cold Stone, Chillz, Olive garden, Buca Di Beppo,
Apple Bee's, Chili's, Village Inn, Red Brick, Brick Yard, Keva Juice,
Starbucks, Satellite, Boba Tea, The flying Star, Fuddruckers, Subway Papa
Felipe's etc.

Amanda will contact Village Inn and TGI Fridays

Michael will contact Chili's

Josh will contact Starbucks and flying star

Monica will contact Subway

Tara will contact Ortega's and Apple Bee's

Brianne will contact Fuddruckers

Tara will ask Terese if she will contact Sagios and Einstein's

Tara will ask David if he will contact Papa Felipe's

Please give some sort of answer to Tara by December 5, 2010 via email, text,
or call regarding the benefit night information.

Student seminar: it went well we had 3 new members join us. We discussed the
possibility of having a seminar each fall because state convention is each
spring.

We discussed eighth graders in their second semester joining at state
convention.

New business:

Christmas party: Friday December 17, 2010 2:00-4:00 PM. pot luck: Amanda
will make Casserole, Josh will bring salad, Tara will make applesauce bread,
Michael will bring the drinks, Monica will bring another dessert, Brianne
will bring chips. The Christmas party will be at San Pedro Village's
recreation room.

Tara will get that set up within the next two weeks.

Secret Santa gift exchange: We will draw names when we get together Sunday
and for those who aren't there, Monica will draw the names and text/call the
person with their Secret Santa person. If you are unable to attend the
party, please contact Tara before the party to get the gift to the person
who you are responsible for in the Secret Santa. Minimum Price $10 and no
more than $20 for the gift. Please email everyone with your favorite color,
scent, store, things, etc.

Washington Seminar will take place late January/early February. Possible
students are Lindsay Sloan, Josh Brownell, and Amanda Youngblood. We
discussed the possibility in the future of sending a student with the NMABS
sponsorship.

Presidential Release: National scholarship program is up and running go to
www.nfb.org/scholarships to apply, the deadline is March 31st. Braille
Readers are Leaders contest is going on for K-12 and Adults. You can
register through January 4th, which also is the end of the contest. To
register go to www.nfb.org/bral. Pennies for pages: for information go to
www.nabslink.org

We will have our next meeting in January. No meeting in December due to the
Christmas party.

Tara announced that she along with Elisha Wells, Gail Wagner and Monica
Martinez are on a team for the Braille Readers are Leaders Contest for
Adults. As of Tuesday, November 16, the team called the High Desert Dots had
read 137 pages.

Adjournment: Monica moves Chris seconds, motion carries, meeting adjourned
at 8:21 PM.