[Nmabs] Student seminar update.

Monica Martinez mmjackson469 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 13:08:42 UTC 2010

Hey Tara,
How about two rooms.  More than that and you might have people just
wandering the halls and not really involved on one particular seminar.  I
can't think of the particular pizza place right now, but there is one doing
any pizza for ten dollars.  That will help keep expenses low and more
choices for students.  As far as having breaks, you want to be careful doing
that.  Any break over five minutes and we might lose interest and again have
wanderers.
Perhaps someone from the commission tech services can come and give a talk
about new technology, along with some samples that students can see during
the break and/or at a later point in the seminar.
Presidents from the different areas: Alamogordo, Los Cruces, Albuquerque
East Side, Albuquerque West Side and others can possibly give updates on
what their specific divisions are doing this year.  This will also show
students that we as NMABS are advocating for the entire state, not just
Albuquerque.
As for activities, how about talking about our upcoming goalball team and
what we need to do to continue moving forward with that project.  Many are
interested but we still have a lot to do to make it happen.
When to have the registration forms returned by-I would think a week
(November 5) would be reasonable.  Is there a charge for registration?
They can send it back to me if you would like me to be in charge of that.
I am willing to be the contact for this event.
Can Christine come and explain the different job positions for each
board/officer position?  If so, that would be fabulous.
Perhabs we can have Cheryl come and talk about the history of NMABS.  Since
she is the one that signed our original documentation into the National
Federation of the Blind.  Speaking of history, why not have Art, Christine
or Tonia talk about the history of the NFB?  Many of us don't know how it
started originally.  We should know the base of what we have our division
on.
Anyway, those are just a few thoughts I had for contributing to the seminar.
Monica